Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: War Gaming, an easy segway? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Capn Stak
msg tools
What game would be an easy segway for getting into war gaming? I play axis and allies 1942 1st edition and plan to get Global (Europe and Pacfic 1940 editions) as well. However I want to expand into other series and one in particular was No Retreat the Russian Front. It looks great but I don't want to purchase it and be overwhelmed.

What would be a good game to start out wargaming? Is Axis and Allies enough of an intermediary step to try No Retreat? Or should I ease into another game that is similar, yet less complicated and try No Retreat later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stak
msg tools
And a side note, I don't want to get into a game like Warhammer 40k or Flames of War. Too time consuming to paint the darn figures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help with the wargaming, I'm afraid, but I think you meant "segue".

A Segway is one of these funky things:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to test drive a hex-and-counter wargame try Napoleon at Waterloo.

It offers a good introduction and the game is available free on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
capnstak wrote:
What game would be an easy segway for getting into war gaming? I play axis and allies 1942 1st edition and plan to get Global (Europe and Pacfic 1940 editions) as well. However I want to expand into other series and one in particular was No Retreat the Russian Front. It looks great but I don't want to purchase it and be overwhelmed.

What would be a good game to start out wargaming? Is Axis and Allies enough of an intermediary step to try No Retreat? Or should I ease into another game that is similar, yet less complicated and try No Retreat later?

No Retreat! The Russian Front is a great game, not overly complex, but it is in no way a simple game. On the upside there are not very many counters so it's easier to wrap your head around.

Check out these geeklists for info and suggestions for newbie wargamers:

Wargames??? YES YOU CAN!
Want to start in wargaming but unsure as to what game you might like? A newbies Guide
Starter Wargames

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Dunno that much prepares someone for No Retreat. Yeah,
some basic ideas of hex-and-counter games probably
make it a little easier, but it's innovative enough
that I'd suggest just diving in.

There are a lot of detailed examples of play (at least in
the GMT version), which can help - just push some pieces around
and follow what is happening in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Can't help with the wargaming, I'm afraid, but I think you meant "segue".

A Segway is one of these funky things:

For wargames, you need one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capnstak wrote:
However I want to expand into other series and one in particular was No Retreat the Russian Front. It looks great but I don't want to purchase it and be overwhelmed.

The most important thing in wargames is to pick a period and a scale (strategic=entire wars, tactical=individual battes, operational=campaigns) that interests you.

No Retreat is a strategic level WWII Eastern Front game. If that interests you, buy all means give it a go, as No Retreat is on the easier-to-play side for a strategic WWII game. The rules are online; I recommend that you download and read through the rules.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-303-no-retreat-the-russian-front-d...

For other options, here's a Geeklist with a list of low-complexity wargames.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28328/my-favorite-low-comp...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How about Tide of Iron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stak
msg tools
Thank you for all of your responses (Funny and informing).

As far as periods of time that I am interested in, I will play most games from Napoleon time period to on to Modern day, but with a huge preference for world war 2. And the scope doesn't matter either. Campaigns, tatics, large theaters to individual battles, it all works for me, even solitare games if they exist. I say solitare because not too many people where I am from game.

My local gaming shop (Days of Knights in Delaware) is more magic and medival stuff anyways and my friends want a shorter play time game. Again I am willing to play solitare but it's always more fun to play with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No retreat's newest version has solo rules.

Most wargames are pretty easy to solo by playing both sides though
(NR is probably not a good starting point for this, with its hidden
cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some chit based games that will be easier for newer wargamers would be Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles, Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939, and Nuklear Winter '68. BoB:SE is highly tactical combat game, RW offers the debate of "to build a fire or not" and NW '68 is an alt history game where Germany was nuked. Years later Nazis and NATO go back in only to find a mutated army waiting for them.

BoB:SE does have decoys so it ranks lower for solo, but the other two will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stak
msg tools
I also like that you have given me suggested games to start out with. However I would be wanting to purchase any game that came out after 2000. I am sure there are many great war games that came out before the new century but I want them to be accessible and ready, not a wild goose chase in stores or the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
FWIW, this site is a pretty good resource for finding games for
sale. Each game entry has marketplace entries (as well as current
ebay listings). I've found this invaluable for hunting down stuff
I definitely wanted. That said, there is a surfeit of newer introductory
wargames out now - though they may not be terribly good towards aiming
at the heavier end of the hobby, if you choose to amble off in that
direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 (World War II)
Battlecry (US Civil War)
Command & Colors: Napoleonics

All of these are pretty accessible (a step up from A&A) and use the same underlying system....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Budden
Australia
Mayfield West
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capnstak wrote:

FWIW my first step into wargaming was with No Retreat! The Russian Front. I had never played Axis and Allies or anything remotely a wargame, only other boardgames; some fairly rules heavy (for non-wargames).

I found that there were quite a lot of new concepts at first but that the rules were well set out and I picked it up quite easily. My wargaming interest is now growing and growing, and I would certainly recommend it for your first foray into wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stak
msg tools
On second thought, I don't think the whole smaller squad tatic gameplay appeals to me. Any thing larger in scope will do, somewhere a between more advanced than Axis and Allies but a digestable game at the same time. Complex but smooth and quick simultaneously, if such a game exists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The most important thing in wargames is to pick a period and a scale (strategic=entire wars, tactical=individual battes, operational=campaigns) that interests you.

As I frequently point out, this is an opinion, not a fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
alfonzo54 wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

As I frequently point out, this is an opinion, not a fact.

If the period doesn't interest you, it's HIGHLY unlikely that
you'd have a real desire to game it. Yeah, there are probably a
small number of wargamers who are only into it for the game -
but like people who spawn children as a food source, the number is
not significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.