Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ainmiller
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hallo,
we first played the Aot System. It was a lot of fun but there are some questions in want to post here. First of all it seems that the rules are not really elaborated enough, because we had a lot of fundamental problems. But sometimes when we read the rules it becomes clear.
In my opinion the rules are very mixes up.
But after all here are my questions:
1) The moves are simultaneous. Move after move. When two units are one hex away from each other. Which unit move first?
2) A longe range unit has the defend order. A enemy unit moves in the Killing Zone. The unit made the attack. Must the enemy unit stop after the attack or can it move any further?
2.1.) If the unit can move, the long range unit can´t make a melee attack this time. Is this right?
3)A friendly unit is not in an Mellee attack with a enemy unit but adjacent. Can i give the friendly unit the Aussault Attack to gain the bonus?
4) A unit is not in range but it is in line of sight. When i expected, that the enemy will move in my range. Can i make an Aussalt Order in spec?
5)Kill Zone for lone range: Could there be emeny units in the Zone?
I would only attack, when they move, right?
6)Which order can ich i give an Cavalary unit to to nothing? Only the Rest order?
7) Order: When i give a unit the move or run order. Do i need to move?
8) A unit that is attacked from several units can only fight against the faced unit. Right?
9) When i attack an enemy unit with two friendly units. They have the same Attack value. Which of them will face the enemy unit?
10) Zone of Control (Example on page 8) Do i have no Zone of Control when i make an aussault attack? Why must the unit stop when it recieves the the move or run order?
You see there are a lot of questions before we can play it next time.
I hope that i explained my problems right. If you need some clarifications just ask.
Bye
Beni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zvezda RU
Russia
flag msg tools
publisher
Hello!
I'm sorry to hear that you have had trouble with the rules to the Art of Tactic. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. When two (or more) units try to enter the same space at exactly the same time, they have what we call an "encounter". Both units must stop moving before entering the encounter hex. (See "Encounters" on page 5 of the rulebook.)

2. The attacking unit continues to move after the attack (assuming it survives the ranged fire).

2.1. All units that are not issued the "Retreat" order will fight during the melee combat phase. Despite the similarity in the name, "Fire and Retreat" is not the same as "Retreat", so units with that order would still get to fight. Since the defending ranged unit was not given the "Retreat" order, they fight normally during the melee combat part of the turn. (See "Continuing Melee Combat" on page 7 and "Retreat" on page 11 of the rulebook.)

3. If there is an enemy unit adjacent to your unit, there are only two possibilities:
A. The two units are already engaged in melee;
B. Your unit is already engaged with a different enemy unit.
Either way, you cannot issue the Assault order (because units engaged in melee can only be issued no order or the Retreat order–see page 7 of the rulebook).
I think the confusion here is what happens when you destroy an enemy unit. If your unit destroys an enemy, it must immediately turn to face (and engage) any other enemy unit that it is already adjacent to. So, you will never have a situation where two enemies are adjacent but not engaged (unless there is some kind of terrain between them, like a steep slope). (See "Ending Melee Combat" on page 8 of the rulebook.)

4. The enemy unit only has to be in Line of Sight for you to issue the Assault order. You can issue the order if the enemy is out of range, in the hope that they will also move in closer to you (though you will risk gaining fatigue if you cannot reach them when you move). (See "Assault" on page 10 of the rulebook.)

5. If there is an enemy unit in your Kill Zone at the beginning of the turn, you can fire on them if they have a movement order. You would make your attack BEFORE the enemy units moves. This prevents the enemy from moving out of range before you have your chance to fire.

6. The "Rest" order is the "do nothing" order for all units, including Cavalry.

7. If you issue the move or run order, you must move that unit (or at least attempt to: the unit may have an encounter or try to move into terrain that it cannot enter). If you do not want to move, you must issue the "Rest" or "Defend" orders instead. (See "March" on page 10 and "Run" on page 11 of the rulebook.)

8. Yes. A unit can only attack the single enemy unit it is facing. Yes, this does mean that you can use a very tough (or very expendable) unit to "tie up" the enemy and absorb his attacks! (See "Melee Attacks" on page 7 of the rulebook.)

9. I'm not 100% clear on what you are asking here, so I will consider both possibilities that I can see:
A. You control 2 units, both of them are moved to engage the same lone enemy unit. Both of your units face the enemy (and get to attack it). The enemy unit faces one of your 2 units. Since both of your units have the exact same strength, your enemy gets to choose which of them to face. He will attack (only) the unit he is facing.
B. You control 1 unit, which has just been attacked by 2 enemy units. Both enemy units will face your unit (and attack it). Your unit must face 1 of the 2 enemy units. Since they both have the same strength, you choose which unit to face. You will attack (only) the unit you are facing.

10. Zone of Control can be a little confusing at first. The important things to remember are:
A. A unit that is in melee already has no Zone of Control.
B. A unit that is not in melee does have a Zone of Control.
C. Zone of Control works both ways, so both a unit that is moving and a unit that is stationary may exert their Zone of Control.
D. A unit that is moving must stop (and engage) if EITHER it moves into an enemy Zone of Control OR an enemy enters its Zone of Control.
E. The one exception is the Assault Order. When a unit has the Assault order, its Zone of Control is negated for all enemies except the one that it is attempting to assault (this should have been included in the Assault section on page 10).

Basically, the intent of the Zone of Control rules is simple: If your unit moves next to an enemy unit, it stops moving and attacks that enemy. In Feudal Japanese warfare, soldiers were usually very concerned about protecting themselves from the enemy. Ordering them to move past a potential danger was not likely to be successful. Only well-led units eager to engage a specific enemy could be relied upon to bypass other nearby enemies.

So, let's take a look at the example on page 8: Red Unit 1 is engaged in melee with a Yellow unit, so it has no Zone of Control. Yellow Unit 2 wants to move past Red Unit 1 to engage Red Unit 3. If Yellow Unit 2 has March or Run orders (which is probably the case since that unit has no Commander), it will stop when it first moves adjacent to Red Unit 1 and engage. If Yellow Unit 2 had Assault orders, then it is focused on attacking Red Unit 3, so it ignores Red Unit 1 and moves past it.

I hope that clears up all of your questions. If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to e-mail me directly at zvezda.org.ru@gmail.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Customer Service
msg tools
publisher
mb
Upon further consultation with the design team, I would like to issue a correction to the answer to question #4:

When you issue the Assault order, you must target an enemy unit that is in LOS AND close enough that the assaulting unit can reach an adjacent hex this turn. That means that the target cannot be more than 3 hexes away from an assaulting infantry unit or 5 hexes away from an assaulting cavalry unit WHEN THE ORDER IS ISSUED.

Of course, the target unit could move away before you get a chance to launch the assault, but it must be close enough when the order is issued.

Very sorry for the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.