For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie question list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello y’all

I’m really excited about this game, being both a gamer and civil war buff myself. I recently rehearsed the 1861 scenario that comes with the rules and then carried on with a solo game to get the feel of it. And I have to tell you, it feels great.

Still, I do have plenty of questions gnawing at me that need the attention of more experienced players. So here is my lengthy newbie list after a first try. Some questions might sound silly, but my excuse is that this is my first wargame experience. I hope you can contribute to the list with some answers. Notice that most of the questions are of the yes/no type.

Many thanks and my apologies if this looks a bit like spamming, but I just felt that I had to get around these questions before teaching the game to others.

1. B&O railroad connection refers only to the Harper’s Ferry to Grafton stretch?

2. Relieved generals or generals who lost army/corps entering next turn should be placed face down and be chosen randomly with the new ones? Or player decides where to relocate them?

3. Capture of a fort, either garrisoned or ungarrisoned, always triggers emancipation? Are coastal forts subject to the same condition? Does any other event trigger emancipation (other than the EC itself and overruns)?

4. A very silly one. When playing the Campaign Game you only set up the game once, with the 1861 scenario? That is, when you get into 1862 you keep playing from where you left in the previous (3rd) turn, without setting up the 1862 scenario, right? The last paragraph on the example of play confuses me (bottom of page 10).

5. As per rule 5.24 there can only be one army per space at the end of a move, with all generals in excess being removed to the turn record track. However, under 7.61 (retreat-procedure), right at the end, it says “All generals in the space, not just those involved in the battle, are eligible for removal”. I thought you were supposed to remove ALL generals from one of the armies, while combining all SPs into one new army.

6. Can Union Divisions enter empty pro-Union spaces in a Confederate-controlled state?

7. Can you trace a LOC through a pro-Union space when state is Confederate-controlled?

8. Can you place reinforcements in a pro-Union space with a rebel fort?

9. Can confederate reinforcements reach a pro-Union space during strategic movement?

10. Are you supposed to place a confederate PC marker on a pro-Union space during the political control phase if occupied by reb forces (would this allow rebs to place reinforcements henceforth)?

11. Do pro-Union spaces count on the Union side for Union control of a Confederate state?

12. When the Strategy Card phase finishes do the cards that were played/discarded (but not removed) get reshuffled into the deck or are these cards simply left aside and get reshuffled once all the cards from the deck are exhausted?

13. A reb general placed in a coastal fort would be trapped since he cannot conduct riverine movement, right?

14. Can a general be brought into play in a space with no LOC but a friendly SP?

15. Can an Army/Corps pick up a Cavalry unit?

16. The only Union port on the north-east with no access to the sea is Washington, DC right? Hence, the only port on the north-east through which no LOC can be traced, right?

17. Are Baltimore and Philly sea ports?

18. Is there any criterion/requirement on the Army’s name when created? e.g. Can the Army of Missouri be created in Maryland? To add more historical flavor, a possible house rule could be that Armies can only be created with a General located in certain jurisdictions; for instance, the Army of the Missouri could only be created with a General in the states of Missouri or Illinois, the Army of the Cumberland, with a General in Indiana, Ohio, or Kentucky, etc. Any thoughts?

19. Skipping the comment on 18 about the house rule, can an Army be created in enemy territory as long as it complies with the usual requirements (LOC, general, +5SPs)?

20. For some generals there is no random destination when placing them, right? (e.g. Lee, Grant, etc.) Either they are the only ones available, like when Grant first shows his neck, or they are the only non-cavalry generals available, like when Lee makes his appearance.

21. Can you pick up a general and SPs on the ports spaces when conducting Union naval movements---that is, without going over the limits of 1 general and 3 SPs in total? Can you drop them off?

22. Can Forrest detach from an Army and try an interception alone while building to 2 SPs, ALL in the same move? I suppose that Forrest has the ability to build into 2 SPs always, as long as there is an SP available.

23. Under 6.86, forts that are removed should be placed on the game turn track and are available after the next reinforcement phase. Does that mean that you can re-build them “for free” once reinforcements were placed, or that by playing a new card in the strategy rounds you can rebuild them?

24. If Emancipation was already proclaimed (due to the taken over of a fort, for instance), does the play of the EP card as an OC imply a reshuffling of the deck? Or it’s simply discarded once played as an OC? Or should it be removed once played as an OC?

25. Is a non-coastal fort garrisoned when left with one general and 0 SPs? Does it provide the +2 DRM in battle? Can you use the defensive rating of the general? My guess is that you can do all that but fort is ungarrisoned, so +4 DRM goes to the attacker, right?

26. Once you successfully attack a non-coastal fort should you remove it immediately, or can it be used for protection in case of retaliation during the enemy’s next strategy card play? My guess is the fort is removed and you should wait for the political control phase to place a PC marker if a non-Army force made the raid, correct?

27. I understand that National Capitals get immediately destroyed by simply entering into them without spending an additional move (Armies) or during the political control phase (other forces)?

28. Do you destroy Union State capitals by spending an additional move there in the case of Armies and by placing a PC marker during the political control phase in the case of other in-supply units? Or does the destruction occur as soon as you enter the place---as in the case of National Capitals?

29. How many SPs can an Army get during strategic movement under the non-railroad reinforcement move (10.21)? Just one or as many as you want (that is, within the limits of the strategic movement)?

30. Can an Army convert ports while conducting an Army-size naval move? I assume that the only way to achieve this is by dropping SPs and then by placing the PC markers in the PC phase.

31. If a confederate fort is in Memphis and a Yankee PC marker is in Paducah, KY (but no fort), can a confederate army in Dover (no fort) cross the Tennessee and enter Paducah?

32. Following the example in 31, is Cairo over the Mississippi river denied Union control or not? (Remember: reb fort in Memphis and Yankee PC markers in Paducah but also in New Madrid and Columbus).

33. Controlled Border States add SW when won and subtract SW when lost (only by the confederate), yet Confederate states under Union flag ONLY subtract SW to the Confederacy, right?

34. The most practical way the Rebels have to cross the Ohio River (which I understand is Union-controlled by default) is by placing a fort in Louisville (other spaces in WV can also do the trick but are seemingly less practical). Is this so?

35. Can a detachment from a Corps/Army try an interception, assuming that the general trying it has a better defensive rating? Or should the whole force in the space try it? Suppose that Price and Longstreet are in the same space with some SPs (a Corps), can Longstreet alone (with his lower political value) try the interception while leaving Price behind, for example, in order to avoid a headlong attack by the Union? What is the case for Armies (that is, as long as the general in question is not the non-commanding general with the highest political value)?

36. Given the benefits of a successful interception it feels like you always have to go for it whenever the chance arises, right? That is, situations where a unit goes headlong against an enemy unit are rare, due to potential intervention prior to the battle. Or, when two armies are stationed in front of each other the defending force will always try to retreat avoiding a headlong confrontation just to intercept later and get the +2 bonus, am I right? Is this the usual mechanics?

37. Can the Dysentery card be used against Armies (it reads “remove one enemy SP from any space that contains more than one SP”)? I guess it can.

38. Strategic naval movement (Union) is only permitted by sea (10.23) or can it also be done between two riverine ports?

39. Does the Chattanooga card imply that you directly place your force in the intervening space without rolling the dice? If that is the case, does it imply that you get the +2 for successful intervention?

40. When you place the generals do you have to stick to the rules of 1SP per general even when placing it directly into an Army? For example, can you place a general in an Army which already has 4 SPs and 4 generals?

41. Is it possible to conduct a naval move starting at a riverine port and ending in a sea port on a different river? E.g. starting in Port Hudson LA and ending in Norfolk VA? Or naval moves in the sea are restricted to sea-port to sea-port moves only?

42. When using minor/major campaign can you activate/detach a corps from within an Army that has been previously moved during the ‘campaign’?

43. Can you intercept into a friendly fort (e.g. your own national capital)? Can you intercept an amphibious attack into a friendly fort? Can you intercept into a space with friendly SPs as to provide back-up?

44. Can you have more than 1 cavalry brigade in an Army or Corps (even when it makes no sense)?

45. Operations queue rule? I cannot get myself around it. Can you explain it in a few words? I see that the intention is to build up the value of OC cards as to be able to activate a bad general (3-value general).

If you got this far without falling asleep snore, thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chokin wrote:

1. B&O railroad connection refers only to the Harper’s Ferry to Grafton stretch?

Yes.

2. Relieved generals or generals who lost army/corps entering next turn should be placed face down and be chosen randomly with the new ones? Or player decides where to relocate them?

Former.

3. Capture of a fort, either garrisoned or ungarrisoned, always triggers emancipation? Are coastal forts subject to the same condition? Does any other event trigger emancipation (other than the EC itself and overruns)?

Emancipation always needs the play of the Event Card and then a battle, overrun or fort capture.

4. A very silly one. When playing the Campaign Game you only set up the game once, with the 1861 scenario? That is, when you get into 1862 you keep playing from where you left in the previous (3rd) turn, without setting up the 1862 scenario, right? The last paragraph on the example of play confuses me (bottom of page 10).

Only one setup.

5. As per rule 5.24 there can only be one army per space at the end of a move, with all generals in excess being removed to the turn record track. However, under 7.61 (retreat-procedure), right at the end, it says “All generals in the space, not just those involved in the battle, are eligible for removal”. I thought you were supposed to remove ALL generals from one of the armies, while combining all SPs into one new army.

In case of 2 armies, remove one army and all its generals. The provision in 7.61 is for too many corps generals in a space.

6. Can Union Divisions enter empty pro-Union spaces in a Confederate-controlled state?

7. Can you trace a LOC through a pro-Union space when state is Confederate-controlled?

No.

8. Can you place reinforcements in a pro-Union space with a rebel fort?

No.

9. Can confederate reinforcements reach a pro-Union space during strategic movement?

Yes.

10. Are you supposed to place a confederate PC marker on a pro-Union space during the political control phase if occupied by reb forces (would this allow rebs to place reinforcements henceforth)?

No. They already have CSA political control but the people there will not enlist in the army.

11. Do pro-Union spaces count on the Union side for Union control of a Confederate state?

No. They have to be occupied by USA forces.

12. When the Strategy Card phase finishes do the cards that were played/discarded (but not removed) get reshuffled into the deck or are these cards simply left aside and get reshuffled once all the cards from the deck are exhausted?

Latter.

13. A reb general placed in a coastal fort would be trapped since he cannot conduct riverine movement, right?

Not sure, but it seems so.

14. Can a general be brought into play in a space with no LOC but a friendly SP?

No.

15. Can an Army/Corps pick up a Cavalry unit?

Yes.

16. The only Union port on the north-east with no access to the sea is Washington, DC right? Hence, the only port on the north-east through which no LOC can be traced, right?

WDC has access to the sea as long as there is no fort or ironclad in Acquia Creek. Both spaces have the 'P' for Potomac.

17. Are Baltimore and Philly sea ports?

Yes.

18. Is there any criterion/requirement on the Army’s name when created? e.g. Can the Army of Missouri be created in Maryland? To add more historical flavor, a possible house rule could be that Armies can only be created with a General located in certain jurisdictions; for instance, the Army of the Missouri could only be created with a General in the states of Missouri or Illinois, the Army of the Cumberland, with a General in Indiana, Ohio, or Kentucky, etc. Any thoughts?

It's only chrome, you can create them wherever you want. The problem is being able to create them, don't add complications.

19. Skipping the comment on 18 about the house rule, can an Army be created in enemy territory as long as it complies with the usual requirements (LOC, general, +5SPs)?

Yes.

20. For some generals there is no random destination when placing them, right? (e.g. Lee, Grant, etc.) Either they are the only ones available, like when Grant first shows his neck, or they are the only non-cavalry generals available, like when Lee makes his appearance.

If they are alone, they are easy to spot. But there could be Generals from previous turn battles.

21. Can you pick up a general and SPs on the ports spaces when conducting Union naval movements---that is, without going over the limits of 1 general and 3 SPs in total? Can you drop them off?

Only one movement.

22. Can Forrest detach from an Army and try an interception alone while building to 2 SPs, ALL in the same move? I suppose that Forrest has the ability to build into 2 SPs always, as long as there is an SP available.

Not sure, I'd say yes.

23. Under 6.86, forts that are removed should be placed on the game turn track and are available after the next reinforcement phase. Does that mean that you can re-build them “for free” once reinforcements were placed, or that by playing a new card in the strategy rounds you can rebuild them?

You have to pay again.

24. If Emancipation was already proclaimed (due to the taken over of a fort, for instance), does the play of the EP card as an OC imply a reshuffling of the deck? Or it’s simply discarded once played as an OC? Or should it be removed once played as an OC?

You got that wrong. Emancipation needs the card.

25. Is a non-coastal fort garrisoned when left with one general and 0 SPs? Does it provide the +2 DRM in battle? Can you use the defensive rating of the general? My guess is that you can do all that but fort is ungarrisoned, so +4 DRM goes to the attacker, right?

Yes.

26. Once you successfully attack a non-coastal fort should you remove it immediately, or can it be used for protection in case of retaliation during the enemy’s next strategy card play? My guess is the fort is removed and you should wait for the political control phase to place a PC marker if a non-Army force made the raid, correct?

Yes. Or you could spend an operation to place the PC.

27. I understand that National Capitals get immediately destroyed by simply entering into them without spending an additional move (Armies) or during the political control phase (other forces)?

Immediately.

28. Do you destroy Union State capitals by spending an additional move there in the case of Armies and by placing a PC marker during the political control phase in the case of other in-supply units? Or does the destruction occur as soon as you enter the place---as in the case of National Capitals?

You have to place a PC.

29. How many SPs can an Army get during strategic movement under the non-railroad reinforcement move (10.21)? Just one or as many as you want (that is, within the limits of the strategic movement)?

Yes.

30. Can an Army convert ports while conducting an Army-size naval move? I assume that the only way to achieve this is by dropping SPs and then by placing the PC markers in the PC phase.

It's a single move, all the army goes into the same space..

31. If a confederate fort is in Memphis and a Yankee PC marker is in Paducah, KY (but no fort), can a confederate army in Dover (no fort) cross the Tennessee and enter Paducah?

No. The Union control would be denied only in the Memphis space or between Memphis an another CSA fort or ironclad. No forts, no denial.

32. Following the example in 31, is Cairo over the Mississippi river denied Union control or not? (Remember: reb fort in Memphis and Yankee PC markers in Paducah but also in New Madrid and Columbus).

No.

33. Controlled Border States add SW when won and subtract SW when lost (only by the confederate), yet Confederate states under Union flag ONLY subtract SW to the Confederacy, right?

Yes.

34. The most practical way the Rebels have to cross the Ohio River (which I understand is Union-controlled by default) is by placing a fort in Louisville (other spaces in WV can also do the trick but are seemingly less practical). Is this so?

Yes.

35. Can a detachment from a Corps/Army try an interception, assuming that the general trying it has a better defensive rating? Or should the whole force in the space try it? Suppose that Price and Longstreet are in the same space with some SPs (a Corps), can Longstreet alone (with his lower political value) try the interception while leaving Price behind, for example, in order to avoid a headlong attack by the Union? What is the case for Armies (that is, as long as the general in question is not the non-commanding general with the highest political value)?

Only the commanding officer intercepts. In case of corps, the one with higher political value.

36. Given the benefits of a successful interception it feels like you always have to go for it whenever the chance arises, right? That is, situations where a unit goes headlong against an enemy unit are rare, due to potential intervention prior to the battle. Or, when two armies are stationed in front of each other the defending force will always try to retreat avoiding a headlong confrontation just to intercept later and get the +2 bonus, am I right? Is this the usual mechanics?

Yes. Interception is good.

37. Can the Dysentery card be used against Armies (it reads “remove one enemy SP from any space that contains more than one SP”)? I guess it can.

Yes.

38. Strategic naval movement (Union) is only permitted by sea (10.23) or can it also be done between two riverine ports?

Both.

39. Does the Chattanooga card imply that you directly place your force in the intervening space without rolling the dice? If that is the case, does it imply that you get the +2 for successful intervention?

Not sure, don't have the card text.

40. When you place the generals do you have to stick to the rules of 1SP per general even when placing it directly into an Army? For example, can you place a general in an Army which already has 4 SPs and 4 generals?

5.29: three more generals than SP.

41. Is it possible to conduct a naval move starting at a riverine port and ending in a sea port on a different river? E.g. starting in Port Hudson LA and ending in Norfolk VA? Or naval moves in the sea are restricted to sea-port to sea-port moves only?

You can do it.

42. When using minor/major campaign can you activate/detach a corps from within an Army that has been previously moved during the ‘campaign’?

No.

43. Can you intercept into a friendly fort (e.g. your own national capital)? Can you intercept an amphibious attack into a friendly fort? Can you intercept into a space with friendly SPs as to provide back-up?

Yes.

44. Can you have more than 1 cavalry brigade in an Army or Corps (even when it makes no sense)?

Yes.

45. Operations queue rule? I cannot get myself around it. Can you explain it in a few words? I see that the intention is to build up the value of OC cards as to be able to activate a bad general (3-value general).

Usually the USA will only have 3-value generals and no 3-value cards. Use the queue to be able to move someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx a bunch Marti, this is gold.

A quick review on your much appreciated feedback though:

- 6: you missed this one
- 7: you positive on this one? I mean, the space is controlled by the South, and seemingly complies with 8.1 and 8.11. But maybe I'm wrong.
- 3 & 24: so Emancipation needs first a condition (battle, fort, overrun) and then the play of the card, right? Has it to be on the same turn?
- 29: as many as one desires, right?
- 40: the question refers to 10.61 (bringing generals into play) "there
must be at least 1 SP per general in the space"
- 45: I understand, but what are the 1 or 2 OP values? And how do you play this? Still lost here.whistle

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
I disagree.

Geek sarcasm, I reckon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chokin wrote:

No.

- 7: you positive on this one? I mean, the space is controlled by the South, and seemingly complies with 8.1 and 8.11. But maybe I'm wrong.

What is 'you'? CSA divisions can, USA divisions can't.

- 3 & 24: so Emancipation needs first a condition (battle, fort, overrun) and then the play of the card, right? Has it to be on the same turn?

Yes. In the same turn.

Yes.

I see. I'm not sure about that one. I'd play that armies are a special case, but I might be wrong.

- 45: I understand, but what are the 1 or 2 OP values? And how do you play this? Still lost here.whistle

Use cards with a value of 1 or 2. Imagine that your hand is 3 1s and 3 2s and you have a 3 general to move. First round, discard a card with value 1 and say "in the queue". Other player moves. Second round, discard a card with value 2 and say, "ok, now I have the required 3 points, I can activate that general".

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
chokin wrote:

No.

What is 'you'? CSA divisions can, USA divisions can't.

Yes. In the same turn.

Yes.

I see. I'm not sure about that one. I'd play that armies are a special case, but I might be wrong.

Use cards with a value of 1 or 2. Imagine that your hand is 3 1s and 3 2s and you have a 3 general to move. First round, discard a card with value 1 and say "in the queue". Other player moves. Second round, discard a card with value 2 and say, "ok, now I have the required 3 points, I can activate that general".

Cheers.

Many thanks Martí. Very helpful again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. This is a fascinating game, the rules are simpler that they seem and the playing is more complex that it seems. Every game is different but it always feels 'right'.

Don't hesitate to post for more doubts, and try to play with other people instead of solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.