BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Shopping online for Canadians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just updated the price comparison chart and GeekList, so it now includes prices for 26 popular games at ten online Canadian retailers:
Le Chart: http://www.bgg.cc/thread/87078
GeekList: http://www.bgg.cc/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=11485

Prices are compared for the following games: Alhambra, Attika, Blokus, Blue Moon, Bohnanza, Carcassonne, For Sale, Jambo, Lost Cities, LOTR Confrontation, Louis XIV, Memoir 44, Modern Art, Princes of Florence, Puerto Rico, RoboRally, Saint Petersburg, San Juan, Settlers of Catan, Shadows Over Camelot, Sleuth, Ticket to Ride Europe, Tigris & Euphrates, YINSH.

The following online retailers were consulted and compared: boardgames.ca, celcollectibles.com, drexollgames.com, fungamescafe.com, germangames.com, JJ Superstore, jogocanada.com, levalet.com, meeplemart.com, rainydaygames.ca

Happy shopping!

Link for full view: http://www.bggfiles.com/bggimages/pic104777.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I've been meaning to buy a couple of Canadians. Unfortunately, you didn't list any price comparisons for Acadians or British Columbians which is what I'm really interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shopping online for Canadians? What is a typical Canadian going for these days, anyway? I've been looking for someone to give me some smug condescension regarding healthcare, taxes, and government services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Missed it by seconds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but your's is funnier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there export controls depending on which province they come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, know, there is an animation movie they might like...

"South Park...Bigger, Loner, and Uncut!"

I think it might mention Canadians once or twicedevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
My prices are similar to germangames.com, but my selection is more like meeplemart.com.

Either way, I promise to make you all happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Ya, know, there is an animation movie they might like...

"South Park...Bigger, Loner, and Uncut!"

I think it might mention Canadians once or twicedevil

That movie wasn't bad, eh. The only thing that always gets me about south park, is that us canadians don't say "aboot". Sure we like our beer, our crullers and our back bacon, eh, but I've never met anyone who said "aboot" up here in the Great White North. Except maybe when they were talking about their boots, eh.

Seriously though, does anyone feel up to doing a price comparison on US online retailers shipping into Canada? I've found it's generally cheaper for me (in BC) to order from boards and bits (in Washington) than from boardgames.ca (in Alberta), or anywhere else in Canada for that matter. Canadian online retailer prices tend to be higher or equal to my FLGS, and they're not exactly cheap either.

EDIT: To clarify, my FLGS has a 10% off frequent buyer discount and 20%-30% off sales every few months. Once I've factored in S&H, the price is either less or small enough that I don't care. To me, $5-$10 isn't a deal breaker, especially if I don't have to wait for my stuff to come in the mail.

EDIT 2: Also, many canadian online retailers don't carry the big box american games I enjoy, like TI3, which I bought from my FLGS for $72 CDN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madd_Mugsy wrote:
Canadian online retailer prices tend to be higher or equal to my FLGS, and they're not exactly cheap either.

This might be true when comparing with boardgames.ca and drexollgames.com, but I find it hard to believe that your FLGS tends to have lower prices than meeplemart.com, celcollectibles.com, fungamescafe.com, germangames.com and JJ Superstore. Even Drexoll's prices are typically 50% higher than these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS has Puerto Rico for $48 + taxes - discount = $49.92. (Actually, come to think of it, it may be lower now; they've reduced the prices on some of their board games recently).

Meeplemart has Puerto Rico for $40 (incl. taxes) + $15 S&H = $55 + waiting.

Now I'm not saying that meeplemart isn't a better deal if I were buying a bunch of games, but I usually only buy one at a time, and if I were to buy several at once, I'd just wait for a sale at my FLGS and save on the shipping. If I can't get the games I want from my FLGS, I'll go to Boards and Bits, since my FLGS stocks/can order pretty much everything the canadian retailers have already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Shopping online for Canadians? What is a typical Canadian going for these days, anyway? I've been looking for someone to give me some smug condescension regarding healthcare, taxes, and government services.

Well, it depends; what are you offering? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the online store that we've got here in DFW, the site says that he will ship to other countries.

http://www.newspiel.com/about.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Madd_Mugsy wrote:
Seriously though, does anyone feel up to doing a price comparison on US online retailers shipping into Canada? I've found it's generally cheaper for me (in BC) to order from boards and bits (in Washington) than from boardgames.ca (in Alberta), or anywhere else in Canada for that matter. Canadian online retailer prices tend to be higher or equal to my FLGS, and they're not exactly cheap either.

The problem is, of course, border/customs inspection. If your package passes through uninspected, then you probably come out way ahead on the deal relative to any domestic option. It'll get to you quick and cheap.

The impossible-to-compute problem is at the border. If your package is travelling by postal service and gets opened up by customs, you're paying GST + provincial tax + a $5.00 handling fee, plus incurring an extra week or three in your shipping delay. Things get far, far worse if you let UPS or Fedex touch your parcel (and the stubborn insistence on Fedex and refusal to use USPS for Canadian orderers is the sole reason I will no longer shop at Funagain) ... their 'brokering' fees dwarf those of the postal service. It would not be uncommon for you to have to pay more for the delivery of the parcel than the actual cost of the goods.

The border patrol isn't supposed to open up packages valued under $20CDN, or those under $50CDN-and-marked-as-a-gift. But if you're above those thresholds (and most orders would have to be to keep the shipping overhead low), it's hit and miss. Sometimes they'll get checked, sometimes they won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Smith would buy all his Canadians locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Things get far, far worse if you let UPS or Fedex touch your parcel (and the stubborn insistence on Fedex and refusal to use USPS for Canadian orderers is the sole reason I will no longer shop at Funagain) ...

Just so you know. Funagain is now willing to ship to Canada via USPS. I have an order arriving soon (I hope). Crosses fingers that customs will be so busy with seasonal shipping that my package just passes on through! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
Things get far, far worse if you let UPS or Fedex touch your parcel (and the stubborn insistence on Fedex and refusal to use USPS for Canadian orderers is the sole reason I will no longer shop at Funagain) ...

Just so you know. Funagain is now willing to ship to Canada via USPS. I have an order arriving soon (I hope). Crosses fingers that customs will be so busy with seasonal shipping that my package just passed on through! ninja

Excellent. Thank you for the notification. I swear it was no more than a month or two ago that I last checked and their policies page still said Fedex only to Canada. Now I see it now says Fedex or USPS. Huzzah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
The border patrol isn't supposed to open up packages valued under $20CDN, or those under $50CDN-and-marked-as-a-gift. But if you're above those thresholds (and most orders would have to be to keep the shipping overhead low), it's hit and miss. Sometimes they'll get checked, sometimes they won't.

The limit for gifts is actually Cdn$60. See here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4051/rc4051-e.html#P51...

For another thread with helpful advice about shipping from US to Canada, see here: http://www.bgg.cc/thread/82881

Don't senders in the US have to fill out a form and indicate the value of every package/shipment sent to Canada? I thought that as a result the customs people always automatically charge tax/duty on packages marked over $20 (or gifts over $60), no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.