United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
What techniques are successful for unwarping game boards? I tried turning the boards upsidedown and putting heavy books on them for a week. They straightened out - but a few days later - they went back to warped condition. Right now I got them upside down again - but with some spacers on the edges so its getting "reversed warped" now, so that maybe it'll counter-act the warping it wants to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Check out this LINK at around '5' posts down from #18

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/71423/page/2

It will take you upon another where this has been discussed.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought Lowenherz the boards (4) were seriously warped. I stacked them suspended at the edge of two bricks and put an eight pound weight (dumbell) in the middle. That was enough weight to flaten it out be when I checked it several days later it curved back to original shape. Next I tried 10 pounds and then 12. The 12 pound weight over bent the boards a bit but not enough to damage them. After a week the boards remained straight for a few months.

I also had a Samurai Swords board that was bowed. I left it under 100 pounds of magazines for about six months. So far it has remained flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect what happens is once the boards are out of the box, humidity in the environment gets into them and they go into their "natural" position. I'd much rather have unmounted maps, that way I can put them under plexiglass and there is no problem. But most games, other than wargames, come mounted. Well in a few days I'll see how my "reverse warping" technique worked (I'll probably end up with boards warped the other way though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll repost this:

From my background in Bookbinding, I can tell you that any of the stiff board used for boardgames with an adhesive and a printed paper attached can have a potential to warp depending on humidity. It's a matter of one side expanding against the other side that doesn't. If you get two big thick half-inch plywood boards, about three feet by four feet, you can sandwich any game board between them using a large sheet of felt on both sides to protect the board from the wood surface, then use any heavy weights (books, concrete blocks) placed evenly across the top board and leave it undisturbed for a week or so. That will allow the humidity to dry up or even out. Some issues that may affect boards are the level of humidity in the adhesives, which may not be completely dry before they are shrinkwrapped in the boxes, or it may be that the relative humidity where you store the boards differs significantly from where they were produced. in any case, pressing between plywood boards as I've described is the same thing you do in bookbinding to straighten book board that warps for the same reason.

To improve your knowledge and repair skills in any of your boardgames, I encourage anyone to read up on basic bookbinding techniques or purchase a good general book about bookbinding. It's exactly the same kinds of processeses used in boardgame production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.