Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ROBERTO M
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have two daughters 5 and 7 and I 'm looking for a working placement game that is basic enough for them to play and enjoy. My goal is for them to grab the mechanics and afterwards start playing more complex games. I don't want to teach them one of the most common WP games right away (Agricola, Stone Age, etc) as they might get frustrated and ending labelling the mechanics as not-fun. I could also wait a few years but I would rather buy them a basic game now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you insist on Worker Placement at that age,Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small can be enjoyed at that age perhaps. Its a simplified version of Agricola. But it is only 2 player.

Hey, That's My Fish! is kind of worker placement, sort of, but something I think they would enjoy much much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne?

I've had luck teaching this to my grandmother with just the basic set, but we have to omit the farmers. I just never mentioned them to her. We play with only knights, rogues, and monks. You can probably omit the monks too for your first few games, and it will still be fun to concentrate on building cities and roads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in Zahrada since I have first heard of it but I have yet to find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers? I think this is the most approachable Carc game since it doesn't have the hard-to-score farm rules. I think Carc is a good idea since while it's worker placement in a sense, it doesn't operate the way worker placement games like Caylus etc. do. So, if you poison them on Carc, it won't carry over to other games.

You might reconsider Stone Age. If you think it's a bit too much, eliminate the cards.

You might also consider Zooloretto, which isn't really worker placement, but is a child-friendly game where you place animals in exhibits, trying to keep animals together and not get more animals than you have exhibits. It might be a bit much for the five-year-old, but you could take out the babies and the bonus tiles and make it just about placing animals.

As a starter, you might consider Diamant/Unnamed Object. You can run the mechanics of the game, and all the girls have to do is decide to push their luck or not. This is definitely play-able by a five year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERTO M
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations. I was thinking on worker placent games because I like the mechanics, but I guess I can intruduce them to other kids friendly games and get the same results. At the end what I'm looking for is that they enjoy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my kids enjoyed playing Alien Frontiers they are 9,10, 13 they played it last year so they were 8,9, and 12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go mow the lawn
Clean your room
Do the dishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 5 and 7 year old girls as well

My oldest can handle vanilla Carcassonne without any problems...farming took a few tries.

Not really worker placement i guess....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a true WP game, but Aquaretto is a game my daughters enjoy. It's more about set collection and tile placement, but it also includes some rudimentary meeple-placement mechanics to trigger various bonuses. Overall, it's a strong improvement over its parent game, the much better known Zooloretto, and somewhere in these forums the designer even commented that he likes playing Aquaretto more than Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry so much about mechanics. Kids (and I) just wanna have fun with each other.

My kids, aged 7 and 9 when they started, enjoy Zooloretto, Ticket to Ride(we play Marklin), and Forbidden Island. They also enjoy farming with At the Games of Loyang (using house rules that does not include the assistants).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Fresco.

There is no real penalty for doing things inefficiently (like starving in Agricola).

The mechanics make sense buy paint, mix paint, paint something. Though the wake up early you can call go to bed early (the earlier they have to go to bed the crankier they are).

But I have found it fairly easy to teach, but the important thing is there is no "system" that punishes for inefficiency. So they can play at their own pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.