Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'd like to have factories in my version of the standard game. I'm also re-introducing the bonus cup, as I felt the market shifts were just a bit too "flat" (even when using the official demands variant, which trickled out too slowly). A few things I'd like to change about them, though:

- I don't want factories to provide just a one-off bonus of a single factory good (maybe more if you're lucky enough to re-draw them from the bonus cup). I'd like factory goods to be a resource that players can reliably manufacture whenever they think it's appropriate. Thus, factory goods are not placed in the bonus cup but are instead placed at the side of the board when they are sold.

- I don't want factories to be a "no-brainer". Therefore, if there is a mechanism for reliably producing factory goods, I am considering having the factory *not* count towards a player's score at the end of the game (i.e, all profit from the factory must come from the sale of the good). Thoughts on this? What if a factory good must *always* be the first good a player buys at a culture, if he can afford it?

- Players can only build a spaceport OR a factory during the Merchant Spaceport phase (not both). Thoughts on this also?

So the two options I've come up with to allow people to choose to produce a factory good are:

- Instead of collecting c10 when removing a drill token from the board, a player may instead produce a factory good at any of his factories.

- When a player with the Slaver title delivers a passenger to one of his spaceports (as a slave) he may produce goods at two of his factories.

But I'd like some other reliable, thematic ways in which to produce factory goods. I'm currently thinking that maybe a good should automatically be produced when a culture enters an active market, and also when an encounter card is drawn showing the culture's icon, but these are just random events - I'd much rather have it as something that must be enacted by the player.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
So I'd like to have factories in my version of the standard game.

Why did FFG remove the Factories element from this new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this in a previous thread, and the only conclusion we could come to was because in the original version factories were a no-brainer. There was no real reason not to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I asked this in a previous thread, and the only conclusion we could come to was because in the original version factories were a no-brainer. There was no real reason not to buy them.

They were strong purchases, sure, but like any other high-dollar item they greatly sacrificed liquidity. Until you reach a certain critical mass of funds, giving up the ability to leap on other goods to meet unforeseen demand so that you can finance a factory and [likely] purchase its good [or, similarly, finance a spaceport] is a non-negligible risk.

FFG removed them [like the demands / cup] because they wanted to design their own space trading game using the MoV license for marketing, not because there was anything wrong with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
NateStraight wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]
FFG removed them [like the demands / cup] because they wanted to design their own space trading game using the MoV license for marketing, not because there was anything wrong with them.

What was the Demands Cup for and how did that work? Was it a good mechanic in the game or did it bog the game down?

I've never played the original MoV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]

What was the Demands Cup for and how did that work? Was it a good mechanic in the game or did it bog the game down?

Every time a good was sold, a token was drawn from the cup / bag. Most of them would be bonuses that would show up at particular cultures if a particular good was delivered there. Later in the game, the cup would also handle which goods would be restocked at cultures whose supplies had dwindled, since every sold good token went into the cup.

This had the exact opposite effect of bogging the game down, since it ensured that 1) there wouldn't be any trade routes that would always be the most profitable; demands could drastically change the relative value of routes, keeping the game dynamic; 2) market fluctuations and goods refill rates were handled in a single, elegant mechanism.

It was essentially the most defining characteristic of the original game.

It's patently absurd that FFG would have replaced it with something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
The Gaslight wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]

Every time a good was sold, a token was drawn from the cup / bag. Most of them would be bonuses that would show up at particular cultures if a particular good was delivered there. Later in the game, the cup would also handle which goods would be restocked at cultures whose supplies had dwindled, since every sold good token went into the cup.

This had the exact opposite effect of bogging the game down, since it ensured that 1) there wouldn't be any trade routes that would always be the most profitable; demands could drastically change the relative value of routes, keeping the game dynamic; 2) market fluctuations and goods refill rates were handled in a single, elegant mechanism.

After playing the standard game, and without even playing the classic game, I can see that the bonus cup mechanic would be a superior way of handling supply and demand in this game. The market shift mechanic just made the game feel a little flat, with it not really mattering that much where you delivered to. We even played with the official demands variant, but the demand counters trickled out so slowly that it didn't really make much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
The Gaslight wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]

After playing the standard game, and without even playing the classic game, I can see that the bonus cup mechanic would be a superior way of handling supply and demand in this game. The market shift mechanic just made the game feel a little flat, with it not really mattering that much where you delivered to. We even played with the official demands variant, but the demand counters trickled out so slowly that it didn't really make much difference.

Is it at all possible to re-incorporate the Demands Cup into this new version without complicating the game anymore? (i'm very intrigued with this demands cup mechanic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
The Gaslight wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]

Is it at all possible to re-incorporate the Demands Cup into this new version without complicating the game anymore? (i'm very intrigued with this demands cup mechanic)

Yes, it should be very easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something?

Why not just flip the board over and play the classic version, since no one likes the new standard version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Why not just flip the board over and play the classic version, since no one likes the new standard version?

No one is such a broad term. I like the new version. I'm still undecided about which one I like *better* though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something?

Because I like the missions, rewards, lasers, shields, pirates, encounters, racial techs and pretty much everything else from the standard version. I just want the factories and bonus cup from the classic version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Am I missing something?

Because I like the missions, rewards, lasers, shields, pirates, encounters, racial techs and pretty much everything else from the standard version. I just want the factories and bonus cup from the classic version.

Would it be easy to re-incorporate the Cup back into the standard game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Am I missing something?

Would it be easy to re-incorporate the Cup back into the standard game?

Yes, very easy, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.