Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on this for a family night game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should have posted here first. But I wrote this earlier.... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/889839/risk-legacy-playe... Im basically asking how do you think a full 15 games would go with 4 people,and only the same 4 people. Do you think playing with the kids "they are 9 and 12" do you think the game is balanced enough because of the dice rolling it could be a tight game,or do you think with not enough thought and strategy it will be a blow out?
Beside that from what I read its not that complex anyone should have a problem getting the rules strait,Do you agree?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How good are they at losing? My brother has a bad habit of getting pissed when he starts losing...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every family has at least one individual who cannot negotiate board games, winning and losing, and so on.

Legacy is a great game--it makes me wish I had a larger family.

Let the board alter as your family sees fit. You will have a blast!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not great at losing,but with my plan where there is a prize that everyone will benefit from im hoping it will be smooth,lol looks good on paper anyway!
But im wondering how they will lose,by unlucky dice rolls or just plain out because they wouldnt see what to protect and use tactics?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
Do you think playing with the kids "they are 9 and 12" do you think the game is balanced enough because of the dice rolling it could be a tight game,or do you think with not enough thought and strategy it will be a blow out?

I've played it with my kids, 9 and 12, and I think it's perfect for that age. (The only problem is the 12-year-old declaring the game broken when the 9-year-old wins.)

As far as balance goes, until you've won the game once, you require fewer points to win, so there's some balance between games that way. And, with the earlier winners' names written on the board, it's easier to say "don't attack me, attack him, because he's won more times than I have," so you shouldn't have to worry about the kids mercilessly stomping you in every game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear,I think I'll give it a try.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Rusty, the game balances out nicely over many plays. I'm playing a full 15-game campaign in a group of 5 guys. We're about 12 games into it and I think two guys have won 3 times, and the other three have won twice each.

Individual games can feel quite random. Someone may get lucky and go on a rampage to suddenly win the game, or in some games everyone will gang up on you and keep you weak (meaning you can't do anything but wait for the game to end). In my view, it's best approached as a campaign that everyone commits to, rather than 'lets just play one game and see if we like it' (if this is the case, you'd may as well play normal risk).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea thats what im looking forward to,Im hoping it pulls us in and cant wait for our game night to play our round for the week.
I heard it's really short in the beginning,like maybe 20 mins,then it stretches out to around a hour to maybe 1.5 hrs late in the game,Would you say that is true? Im just trying to figure out how many games we should play or could be played in a weeknight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
Yea thats what im looking forward to,Im hoping it pulls us in and cant wait for our game night to play our round for the week.
I heard it's really short in the beginning,like maybe 20 mins,then it stretches out to around a hour to maybe 1.5 hrs late in the game,Would you say that is true? Im just trying to figure out how many games we should play or could be played in a weeknight.


20 minutes is not out of the question, but you're probably looking more at 30-50 minutes for your first five games, increasing to perhaps 70-90 minutes as you reach 10+ games (as we are now - note that some games may even go longer). That's generally been our experience, but then every game is slightly different, the starting set-up is different, the board will change with time and may create more 'defensive' positions which will make the game go longer. Alternatively your group may just 'destroy' any defensive areas of the board which may create much faster games, who knows how the board will develop and what effect this will have, that's part of the fun of it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK,Thanks for the fast and positive replies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given their ages, I'd say it is important to play a few games of regular risk before you start the campaign - or perhaps play games "0.1 and 0.2" of Legacy (i.e. open the box, and play with the pieces and cards as they are).

Once everyone has got to grips with the mechanics, particularly the starting location choice and the expansion mechanic, at THAT point I'd start stickering up and kick off the campaign proper.

Without that risk-y background, its very easy to get hammered in the first couple games before you find your feet. That can get demoralising very quickly when you're a kid, and may lead to them not wanting to carry on with the campaign. If they start the campaign with an idea of how it all works, they'll be more likely to play well, and so more likely to want to come back for the next game - even if they DO lose in the early stages.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Given their ages, I'd say it is important to play a few games of regular risk before you start the campaign - or perhaps play games "0.1 and 0.2" of Legacy (i.e. open the box, and play with the pieces and cards as they are).

Once everyone has got to grips with the mechanics, particularly the starting location choice and the expansion mechanic, at THAT point I'd start stickering up and kick off the campaign proper.

Without that risk-y background, its very easy to get hammered in the first couple games before you find your feet. That can get demoralising very quickly when you're a kid, and may lead to them not wanting to carry on with the campaign. If they start the campaign with an idea of how it all works, they'll be more likely to play well, and so more likely to want to come back for the next game - even if they DO lose in the early stages.


This is excellent advice. Two straight, non-stickering, non-scarring games. I would not even look at the green starting powers for the first two games. With kids, you could really create a nice "risk culture" this way--"hey, just take a few tactical chances and let's see what happens!"

The game is as much a story-telling device as it is an area control game; remind them of this. You are watching a world unfold.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This version of Risk is probably the most accessible, it is more contained than straight Risk and the rewards for winning (and not winning) make it great for kids.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:
Given their ages, I'd say it is important to play a few games of regular risk before you start the campaign

This is excellent advice. Two straight, non-stickering, non-scarring games.

Well... I think you can just tear straight into it. Risk isn't that complicated; you're not going to break anything by choosing starting faction powers without experience in the game; and if one of the kids is getting hammered in the first game or two, announce an alliance with them and hit their attacker.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
You could also use pre-games to set up the board.

Say, play 3 games without the initial scars or powers, but let the winner place two coin stickers (from the "before the first game" group) and anyone who holds on gets to place one. Any leftovers can be placed at random before the first real game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
badge
Excuse me while I go put out some fires, literally. -ENC Matt Paniczko
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with my coworkers. Some of them get strategy games, and some of them I was teaching for the first time, and somewhat stumbled. It is absolutely possible to integrate your children to this game. The good news is you will not receive all of the rules at once. The base game is very easy to teach. Depending on your personality, the toughest part may be not "nudging" your children into decisions you think are best. I believe if you let them play the way they like, even if it is a bad strategic decision, still creates an enjoyable, memorable experience.

At the end of the day, this is probably one of the best family game night games out there. If you play once a week for instance, week after week you will smile over memories that led up to how your map is today. Good luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.