Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave kinzer
United States
springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
A few years ago, I was introduced to Settlers of Catan, and played for about a year. Then I discovered Ticket to Ride, and played it, and no other games, for a year. Then 2012 was the year of Carcassonne. Now I'm looking for a new game. What recommendations do you have for me?

I was considering Elfenland or Smallworld or Stone Age.

A few criteria: it must be at least a 3 player game- no 2-player games.

The rules can't be too complex or confusing. Is Dominion tricky to learn, especially for any of my friends who aren't big gamers?

No party games or word games.

I'd really like to find another great euro-game with a fair bit of strategy. Some elements of luck are ok, as long as it doesn't dominate the game.

Thanks for the help!
sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Dominion and Small World would both be really good bets. Small World is probably easier to learn. I don't think that Dominion is all that hard to learn with respect to mechanics, but it is more difficult to master strategy.

Also, perhaps Puerto Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh also! If you have a bigger group, maybe VivaJava. I found it a really quick learn even with no one having played it. Better with a group of 6 or 8 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World fell flat for me. I see the appeal, but the constantly shifting characters, rise and fall, repeat, didn't excite me. There was no sense of permanence. Character creatures were just throw-aways.

Stone Age is a great game for 2-4 players. It's usually the first worker placement I introduce before anything else. I can't think of a group (family, friends, unknown gamers) who hasn't taken to it. The components are top notch and the artwork is beautiful.

Don't know Elfenland.

Have you looked at Survive: Escape From Atlantis? Perhaps to much randomness and "Gotchaya" but this is now my go-to game for nongamers. Every non-gamer I've introduced this to has loved it. I've bought 6 copies this year (one for me, five for gifts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of stuff

Dominion
Stone Age
Age of Empires III
Wiz-War
Tikal
7 Wonders
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Pandemic
Glory to Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Stone Age suggestion, even though I don't care for the game anymore. I think Dominion is another solid choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john ford
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus one for Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also suggest Stone Age as well as Alhambra(I wouldn't call Alhambra more complex than the ones you mentioned, and I would probably call it easier actually, but it plays quite differently from the others and non gamers love it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOOLORETTO
Survive: Escape From Atlantis
Tobago
Formula D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say;
-Pandemic, great cooperative game, everybody vs the game.
-King of Tokyo, quick fun game. With a great yahtzee mechanic to it.
-Fleet, awsome auction and card management game. Best with 4
-Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, fun memory/ backstabbing/ screwage game.
-And YES Small World, small world nails it for myself and many o my friends. With the area control aspect of the game while having random race/special powers. Every game will be different. When to attack, camp out, run away, kill your guys off (go in decline) to get a new race. Lots of fun lots of replay ability.
-Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age, for a first worker placement game. Two very solid games.

I feel all of these game are high with replay value. That's just me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are ready for Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Di Girolami
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave those games you list sound like a similar journey I took myself (except I did it alot faster than a game a year). I too have friends that aren't gamers and also have young children so my 1st games weren't too complex but had to be fun.

Stone Age was my 1st purchase into the next level of gaming and it's one of my favourite, the components are awesome and it fits the bill perfectly with strategy and some luck but that doesnt dominate the game. It's an awesome game but probably a step up in complexity to the ones you've played.

Dominion was also an early purchase for me and it's really very simple, that's probably one of the pluses to it in showing a game to newbies, Very basic steps to take easy to learn, there is strategy in the cards you buy during the game but the same process happens every turn and really the only complextity is understanding the cards you use for the game.

I got small world too but for me that one comes 3rd in the pecking order, again fairly simple to play, easy to teach and fun. Don't get me wrong it's still worthy of having in your collection (they all are but if u are only getting one at a time) it be between dominion and stone age for me, Most people seem to like dominion over stone age so it will come down to your personal choice for me it's tight but after playing both a bit my cards and dice lay with stone age.

PS those 3 you have all won Spiel des Jahres (German for Game of the Year) Dominion won it as well so did elfenland, that award is by no means the be all and end all, as some of those that have won for me wouldn't even make it into my collection but alot of that have won are really good, like I said will come down to personal choice but you are definately on the right track so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is also really good.

Stone Age is good, but also seriously consider Fresco or Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
Castle Panic is also really good.

Stone Age is good, but also seriously consider Fresco or Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement games.

I do like Castle Panic as well. However after a few plays it feel flat for me. But after getting, Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower exspanstion, it's a game I like to get to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whompy wrote:

I'd really like to find another great euro-game with a fair bit of strategy. Some elements of luck are ok, as long as it doesn't dominate the game.

I like Stone Age a lot, however how well you roll can have an effect on the outcome of the game...not always, but it can. That said, still a solid game, plays with 2+, and is relatively light on rules.

Another game I would propose that doesn't get a lot of love here on BGG, but is a favorite of our family is Vegas Showdown. Plays up to 5, there is a little randomness in the order of the cards and tiles, but not terrible or really all that game changing, and again light on rules.

Last, I would suggest Lords of Waterdeep. It is a worker placement game, which it doesn't seem you have done much of yet (although Stone Age would fill this role, however these games play very differently). This is my family's favorite game mechanic. Again, relatively light on luck/randomness, plays up to 5, and is not rules heavy.

Good luck with your decision!

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, quick fun game. With a great Yahtzee mechanic to it. Yahtzee? Am I missing something in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave kinzer
United States
springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your suggestions and insight, everyone! I will have to do a little research into some of these games that I've never heard of. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Plenty of stuff

Dominion
Stone Age
Age of Empires III
Wiz-War
Tikal
7 Wonders
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Pandemic
Glory to Rome

Lots of goodness there in this post.

Co-ops work well at your stage.
Flash point and pandemic are both great games.

7wonders looks to be a natural fit.

Dominion is probably the direction I went a fe year back.

Wiz war is good fun if your group leans toward that fantasy theme.

I'll add Saboteur great fun or lots of folks and with the expansion it only gets better.

Bohnanza would be another choice on the light side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My new intro game is Lords of Vegas. It plays 2 to 4, and while it has a lot of luck, it fits well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PANDEMIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Egizia, Kingdom Builder, or Stone Age are the first three to come to mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go with Dominion as the next step but if you want to get into worker placement i'd pick The Pillars of the Earth over Stone Age myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these have been mentioned before, but regardless...

Dominion
Pandemic
Alhambra (I recommend the Big Box - it comes with lots of expansions, and the expansions are not in print anymore stand-alone)
7 Wonders
Fresco

If you're looking to step up in complexity & depth a little bit:

Agricola
Battlestar Galactica
Arkham Horror
Princes of Florence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Stone Age. I personally don't like it but many do. I actually think Catan has deeper strategy than Stone Age. I am unsure if it has a year's replayability. Then again, I don't like Carcassonne either

+1 to Lords of Waterdeep. Never played it but based off everything I've seen, it's perfect for what you want. A quick playing meat and potatoes worker placement.

Finally, if you want a game with tons of depth and light rules and lots of fun, have a look at Hansa Teutonica. Actually, don't have a look at it. It looks dull as dirt. But the gameplay is genius... as the game goes on, you unlock more and more actions and abilities. Interactive but anything you do to hurt another player, they actually get pretty awesome compensation out of it. HT is a gamers game that you and your non-gaming friends can easily play for a year. Heck, years.

Few say it better than Mr. Vasel, so I recommend watching this video review: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/830/hansa-teutonica/video-rev...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.