Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, that's a joke, right?

(Saddened, if not surprised, to see Caylus fall from the ranks. OTOH, maybe Macao gets back in the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The GM didn't send in an after action report. Therefore it drops out of the Century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
The GM didn't send in an after action report. Therefore it drops out of the Century.

Seriously? No exceptions? They're gonna let the Granddaddy of Eurogames get relegated to 2nd-tier status?

I'm stunned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Here's something I'm unclear on. Storm Over Stalingrad ran into the same issue in 2011 (no event report), and so its 2011 event report page states that it was not eligible for membership vote in 2012. Is there an exception being made for PR, namely that it gets on the ballot? (I'm certainly not complaining if such an exception has been made, just curious as to what the actual rule is here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinon wrote:
Here's something I'm unclear on. Storm Over Stalingrad ran into the same issue in 2011 (no event report), and so its 2011 event report page states that it was not eligible for membership vote in 2012. Is there an exception being made for PR, namely that it gets on the ballot? (I'm certainly not complaining if such an exception has been made, just curious as to what the actual rule is here.)

Yeah, same with Macao a year ago. Maybe the rules changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Bordgamer wrote:

Seriously? No exceptions? They're gonna let the Granddaddy of Eurogames get relegated to 2nd-tier status?

I'm stunned.

If they make an exception for PR, why not make an exception for every Century event? It's not like it won't be offered as a tournament. I'm sure it'll garner enough votes to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference between no event report, and a late event report? Maybe there was a report submitted for PR, but it was really late, and thus lost century status, but because there actually was a report, unlike the other examples, it is still eligible to be voted back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Bordgamer wrote:

I'm stunned.

Puerto Rico is a bit young to be a grandparent. Even Settlers, which is a more likely titleholder, is pretty recent.

As for losing Century status, the yearbook explains it. No report, no inclusion in the Century, but eligible for vote.

Storm Over Stalingrad was a Trial event in 2011, so it lost eligibility for the vote due to the lack of a report. If the GM for Puerto Rico in 2013 (surely the game will pass the vote) repeats the non-report, Puerto Rico would not be eligible for the vote for 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the Century List?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcysfc wrote:
I guess I can reply to myself. There isn't a link on the home page yet, but you can get there from the GM page. Here's the link:
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/orphans.htm

In the "What is the WBC?" section, there are links to the "Century Group" in the first paragraph which describes what the Century is. The orphans page lists the current Century and Trial games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games should be about playing games, not submitting TPS reports on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Pretty sure the games are about playing games. The tournaments, however, are about organized playing of games. To make this practical requires a committed GM. If the game is not able to find a committed GM, why should it be included in the organized tournaments with prize support from the convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico, isn't that the crappy version of Race for the Galaxy where the dude sitting next to the noob wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:
Bordgamer wrote:

I'm stunned.

Puerto Rico is a bit young to be a grandparent. Even Settlers, which is a more likely titleholder, is pretty recent.

As for losing Century status, the yearbook explains it. No report, no inclusion in the Century, but eligible for vote.

Storm Over Stalingrad was a Trial event in 2011, so it lost eligibility for the vote due to the lack of a report. If the GM for Puerto Rico in 2013 (surely the game will pass the vote) repeats the non-report, Puerto Rico would not be eligible for the vote for 2014.

I remember reading that if an event would have been a Century level and no report was submitted it's penalized one level to trial and must be voted back in. If a trial missed then it cannot be voted back in and sits out for a year. Egizia would have been a Century in 2012 but no report knocked it back to trail and was voted back in. This year a report was sent in and made the Century for 2013.

it would be nice if there was a report of 'in danger' games so the winner or aGM could get a report in so their game is not dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Don sends exactly that email to Asst Gms and the winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkircher wrote:
it would be nice if there was a report of 'in danger' games so the winner or aGM could get a report in so their game is not dropped.

If GM doesn't know that a report is due, then they aren't reading their emails. Don is VERY good about reminding people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bien HBB
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When was the deadline? If the report was due around the end of October, the GM may have been dealing with Hurricane Sandy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pagames wrote:
When was the deadline? If the report was due around the end of October, the GM may have been dealing with Hurricane Sandy.

I don't know her personally, but Melinda, the listed GM, is from New York, so that is a distinct possibility -- however, WBC had been over for almost 3 months before Sandy hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
They are due 30 days after WBC. Don chases them for months afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
What is the Century List?

Since no one answered this question, at the World Boardgaming Championships (i.e. the WBC), the top 100 events based on a formula that includes total attendance and number of player/hours (to balance short popular games with long games that require more player commitment) automatically are scheduled for next year's WBC, pending an after action report from the GM.

The games on the Century will award prizes, i.e. plaques(up to 6th place for the most popular events) and a T-shirt for the winner.

Games that do not qualify for the Century, called a "Trial event" though many are have been "tried" many times before. can be entered via membership vote held in December or by a sponsor exemption (often a game company will sponsor a new game). Trials are limited to a single plaque for first place as an award.

Quote:

The GM commits to writing a 500 word (minimum) report on the tournament for publication on the WBC website and in the yearbook, due one month after the WBC. These reports usually include interesting games, humorous anecdotes, statistics from play, etc.

The GM form does list the penalties for failure to submit the report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the former GM for this event at WBC, at great reluctance, I will jump in here. Malinda, the person who volunteered to GM this event at WBC in 2012, did a tremendous job on-site this year -- better than I could have -- at computerizing everything and making the event run smoothly. Like many individuals, she has difficulty at times meeting deadlines which I strongly suspect was part of the problem here. My understanding is that a partial report was prepared but not finished; again, it's possible perhaps even likely that real-life events (the Hurricane, personal and work issues) intervened and prevented her from completing the report before the deadline; at this point in time, I don't have the complete story.

I have always believed, as Brian Carpenter suggested in one of the posts in this thread, that the remedy for such a situation, is to punish the GM, not the event. The response from the other side, as has also been posted in this thread, is that the Ass't or some other person can easily step in and pinch-hit to supply the report. I can tell you from my personal experience that this is NOT the case. Once WBC is concluded and everyone returns home in August, it is the GM (and in 99% of the cases) only the GM that has the relevant information needed to complete the report. The only exceptions would be in cases where, in advance, the GM might have agreed with an Asst. or another person to divide up the responsibility for the AAR. That was, to my knowledge, not done for PR for this year. Hindsight being 20-20, perhaps it should have been done, but you cannot always predict what might happen in the future in people's lives that might gum up the works.

Anyway, the bottom line is, BPA rules being what they are, for those of you who are fans of PR, if you want to see it back as a tournament at WBC next year, you will need to send in your BPA membership before the end of the year and vote for PR to return. Otherwise, you got no reason to complain ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assistant GM for PR here. I had no idea that there was an issue until this week. I did receive the standard Don email about reports, but only focused on Yspahan,the event I GM. If I had know there was an issue, I would have tried to help, but I have none of the relevant data. Asst GMs mostly do some scut work to help big tournaments, but the real responsibility is to be the impartial deciderer if GM is involved in a rules issue game.
Asst GM for PR at Euroquest is less work, but more dangerous as the co-GMs are a couple. Fortunately, I have not had to rule between them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Of course, Rich who just posted above, is being modest since he just won his second PR tournament at EQ a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The response from the other side, as has also been posted in this thread, is that the Ass't or some other person can easily step in and pinch-hit to supply the report. I can tell you from my personal experience that this is NOT the case.

I have to agree with John here--in order to write an After Action Report, you need the raw data from the tournament, primarily game scorecards. These game scorecards can ask for additional information (which items the players acquired, game balancing bids, scenarios/sides played, etc.) beyond who won each game. Also it helps to have the players record any interesting or unusual events on the scorecard.

Usually only the GM is going to have this information.

That said, I do think it should be made public which events have not their report turned in yet so that an Assistant GM or another player can ask the GM if they need help. (Even if only including a check mark on the Event List page with a pointer included in Don's Monthly BPA newsletters.)

As Rich Shay points out, he didn't know Puerto Rico was at risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Page
Canada
flag msg tools
Kevin Youells wrote:
Don sends exactly that email to Asst Gms and the winners.

I won Lord of the Rings this year, which is in the same situation as PR, and did not get an email about a missing report. I could have written an ok one, I would think, as I wrote about all games I played at WBC on my blog and therefore have reasonable notes. But I didn't know there was a problem or that that would be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.