Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
If an Event card that I want to put an action pawn on that requires 2 weapon strength, and I only have 1, can i use an item card (like pistol) that lets me temporarily increase my weapon strength so i can put a pawn on the card? Is my weapon strength still high enough to resolve the card in the second part of the action phase?

Thanks for the help in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only put your pawn down because you will be able to temporarily increase the weapon level but you only temporarily increase it when you take the action.
Exemple:
You know there is an animal level 4 on top of hunting deck. Your weapon level is 1. You can use the pistol to kill the animal but you do not move your weapon level marker to 4. If you are forced to loose weapon level(s) they have to be real and not temporarily.
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stefaan wrote:
You can only put your pawn down because you will be able to temporarily increase the weapon level but you only temporarily increase it when you take the action.
Exemple:
You know there is an animal level 4 on top of hunting deck. Your weapon level is 1. You can use the pistol to kill the animal but you do not move your weapon level marker to 4. If you are forced to loose weapon level(s) they have to be real and not temporarily.
Have fun.

Yes, I understand how the mechanic works, however I am wondering if it is a valid action? Should I be able to use "something" to temporarily increase my strength to place my pawn on a threat action? Is the strength required to place a pawn there or to resolve the the threat action at a later time (or both)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Holzer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
If an Event card that I want to put an action pawn on that requires 2 weapon strength, and I only have 1, can i use an item card (like pistol) that lets me temporarily increase my weapon strength so i can put a pawn on the card?

Yes you can put your pawn on it. You use the item (pistol) at the moment you resolve the specific action (Event card).
Bond8089 wrote:
Is my weapon strength still high enough to resolve the card in the second part of the action phase?

Read above, but: Rulebook page 17: Temporally increased Weapon level - if there’s any card or token etc. that temporally increases your Weapon level then don’t adjust the marker on the Weapon level track. Such temporary increase lasts only for the Action that player takes.

So you can't use it later on (e.g. for hunting a beast)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks! I get what you are saying and this is how I have been playing, and really just wanted a confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Holzer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:

Yes, I understand how the mechanic works, however I am wondering if it is a valid action?

Yes
Bond8089 wrote:

Should I be able to use "something" to temporarily increase my strength to place my pawn on a threat action?

No
Bond8089 wrote:

Is the strength required to place a pawn there or to resolve the the threat action at a later time (or both)?

to resolve the action

You place your pawns in the planning phase. You have to check if you have all the resources you need for taking the action(s). If not, you are not allowed to take the action(s).
Then you resolve the actions. Now you have to discard all resources needed for the actions (or increase your weapon level with an item).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spy007 wrote:

You place your pawns in the planning phase. You have to check if you have all the resources you need for taking the action(s). If not, you are not allowed to take the action(s).
Then you resolve the actions. Now you have to discard all resources needed for the actions (or increase your weapon level with an item).

Wait, this is my exact question. If I do not have enough weapon strength to put my pawn on an action, can I use a temporary weapon increase to give me the strength to place my pawn on the threat ability? If so, will that same strength count when we resolve the action later in the phase?

The other option is, would it take two temporary boosts to be able to accomplish this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Holzer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Example:

You start the planning phase. You want to build a roof (2 player cook and soldier). You only have 1 wood and no fur. You cant put your pawn there and you cant build the roof.

Same example:

You start the planning phase. You want to build a roof (2 player cook and carpenter). You only have 1 wood and no fur. The carpenter has two determination tokens. The carpenter can place his pawn to the roof (although there is only one wood in the supply) cause he can use his Economical construction ability to build the roof for one wood less. When it is the time to resolve the action, you discard the two determination tokens and the wood and build the roof.

Important for taking an action (placing a pawn in the planning phase) is that you have all the resources in the planing phase (besides wood, food and fur also determination tokens or items) that make the action possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stefaan wrote:
Exemple:
Have fun.

My main question had to do with losing weapon levels.

So according to the answer quoted here:

Lets say I face a bear (this is in e Rhado Runs through video) and I have 0 weapon level. BUT I have enough temp weapons to defeat the animal. (In th video he uses a pistol and a rifle.)

So for in the first stage of the hunt animals resolution I have a weapons level of 6 so I defeat the bear and take no wounds.

Then in step 2 I decrease my weapon level by 3. The quote above seems to say that now my weapon level is suddenly 0 again? So I would take 3 wounds? It. Seems to me that I should have the 6 weapon levels till the end of the resolution stage. Is there something in the rules to contradict this?

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
stefaan wrote:
Exemple:
Have fun.

My main question had to do with losing weapon levels.

So according to the answer quoted here:

Lets say I face a bear (this is in e Rhado Runs through video) and I have 0 weapon level. BUT I have enough temp weapons to defeat the animal. (In th video he uses a pistol and a rifle.)

So for in the first stage of the hunt animals resolution I have a weapons level of 6 so I defeat the bear and take no wounds.

Then in step 2 I decrease my weapon level by 3. The quote above seems to say that now my weapon level is suddenly 0 again? So I would take 3 wounds? It. Seems to me that I should have the 6 weapon levels till the end of the resolution stage. Is there something in the rules to contradict this?

-E

Think of it this way: whatever level you increase the weapon by temporarily, it must be decreased by the same amount after the fight. So it doesn't matter whether this happens before or after the bear knocks down your weapon; the net result is your weapon level must still end up -3 from where it started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, for that rule book quote you wanted, see page 17:

Quote:
Temporally increased Weapon level - if there’s any card or token effect etc. that temporally increases your Weapon level then don’t adjust the marker on the Weapon level track. Such temporary increase lasts only for the Action that player takes. If a player has to decrease Weapon level during the same Action, he normally marks it on the Weapon level track and can even get Wounds if the Weapon level is lower than the number to decrease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.