10 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Come from behind victories seem nearly impossible rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a player hits about 11 points, their victory seems almost inevitable. At the very least, it requires significant table talk and collusion from 3 other players to suppress the leader. If it's a 2 player game, it's pretty much entirely hopeless for the person behind.

Have others found this to be the case or is this exclusive to my play group? It seems who ever breaks double digits first wins every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyLiar1010 wrote:
Once a player hits about 11 points, their victory seems almost inevitable. At the very least, it requires significant table talk and collusion from 3 other players to suppress the leader. If it's a 2 player game, it's pretty much entirely hopeless for the person behind.

Have others found this to be the case or is this exclusive to my play group? It seems who ever breaks double digits first wins every single game.

It's you. Or rather, it's not my experience with my group. Generally we're all getting there at the same time anyway. Most of our games end up 16-15-15-14 or something similar, with no obvious faction winning over any others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I've not found that to be true in about 20-25 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's you. Or rather, it's not my experience with my group.

Quote:

I suppose the follow up, then, is how does your group play? Does each player tend to stake out their own corner and just race to see who can break bases fastest or do they tend to all pile onto one base and duke it out for top prize? While I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, your group must have a general attitude. Ours is almost certainly the latter.

Quote:
Most of our games end up 16-15-15-14 or something similar, with no obvious faction winning over any others.

Our scores generally look more like 15+ - 13 - 10 - 2. The winner always seems to have a comfortable gap between the middle pack and someone always winds up trailing way behind.

As for faction strength, It seems pretty even for the most part. Although I don't think ninjas have won yet in our group. Whoever picks them tends to have tons of fun killing minions throughout the game but never makes much of a splash on the scoreboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games are similar to yours. The clear winner(s) can be seen early. Some times they are a bit closer in score, but once someone has a good 5 point gap ahead of you in points I have never seen someone bridge it.

Last game going into the final couple turns the current scores were 12,10,8 and 5.
It is way too easy to slip a minion at a base and squeeze out the 3rd place bonus to assure you get points when a base scores.
It was just pointless for the 5 point player. Unless he was ignored and unopposed at all his bases, he did not have a chance.

No one could score any bases without mr 12 points increasing their lead. The only chance to beat them was for the 10 point player to get 1st place on every base that scored the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyLiar1010 wrote:
Quote:
It's you. Or rather, it's not my experience with my group.

Quote:

I suppose the follow up, then, is how does your group play? Does each player tend to stake out their own corner and just race to see who can break bases fastest or do they tend to all pile onto one base and duke it out for top prize? While I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, your group must have a general attitude. Ours is almost certainly the latter.

Quote:
Most of our games end up 16-15-15-14 or something similar, with no obvious faction winning over any others.

Our scores generally look more like 15+ - 13 - 10 - 2. The winner always seems to have a comfortable gap between the middle pack and someone always winds up trailing way behind.

As for faction strength, It seems pretty even for the most part. Although I don't think ninjas have won yet in our group. Whoever picks them tends to have tons of fun killing minions throughout the game but never makes much of a splash on the scoreboard.

I can believe this. I played in a 4P game with Alien Zombies, and scored 0 since the others made sure I got kicked out on bases where they fought....still had fun in that game though, even when someone nuked his own minion and killed ALL my weenies on the base where you score 1 VP per minion on it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There certainly are situations where it gets hard to come back.

In a two player game, when the second place at every base is sufficient to win, you are forced to score bases alone, which isn't easy.

But on the other hand, the player who managed to get into that situation has earned the victory. Concede and play the next game if you loathe continuing a game where you see no chance to win anymore.

In multiplayer games, taking care of the leader is much easier, but of course you need players that work together and not only look at their own score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've seen enough comebacks to strongly disagree. Yeah, they're hard to pull off, but not rare - in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I've played so far, has been close at the end, but was far from close when it first started out. It depends on the factions you are playing, and how well you are thinking out a strategy to work with them / against your opponents.

Comebacks can be pulled off, if you play smart and are patient. I've done it a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comebacks CAN and DO occur. I played yesterday and had an early lead with my Dino Wizards breaking 2 bases, but the 2 other guys came back and it came to a point where the final guy to score a base would win, and the zombie trickster player JUST managed to score a base right before the Pirate Robots to win. (it wouldn't have mattered if the Pirate Guy moved his minions to the other base to get 2nd place, as Zombie Trickster still would have won!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.