Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure there are a couple (probably more) ways to do it:

1. New heroes/villains/henchmen/mastermind just like the base set (14, 8, 10, 5 of each)?

1a. same as above but with (or in addition to) different versions of existing heroes (black suit spidey, avengers wolverine)?

2. Additional heroes/villains/henchmen (possibly mastermind) cards for the existing sets (a new 'common/uncommon/rare' card for each set, increasing the size of the stacks, I mean there are more than 4 members of the brotherhood right)?

I would like to see all of these incorporated in some way, perhaps 1 (and 1a) are the traditional expansion and 2 could be promos or smaller monthly or bi-monthly packs with like 1 new additional set of cards for a hero, villain, new set of henchmen and/or a new mastermind or something like that. I'm kinda bummed that we need to wait for August for an expansion.

Really love the game and look forward to more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't forget more schemes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duh! of course more schemes, good alternating card for the mini xpacs with masterminds, 1 month a scheme, next a mastermind. come on upper deck, steal an idea from FFG and milk us for $10/mo with an 10-15 card mini xpac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Seale
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe I read a quote on here from the developers that their first expansion would not be coming until August, assuming then GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Fennema
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, assuming an expansion size equal to that of the small Ascension expansions (65 cards) you're looking at:

3x Heroes (42 cards)
1x Mastermind (5 cards)
1x Villain (8 cards)
1x Henchmen (10 cards)

And that is a total of 65 cards. If that is their constraint, they could also skip the Villain or Henchmen group to include new Schemes or something else. (since a new Mastermind will likely have an 'always leads', that means they only HAVE to include one enemy group as the followers, and it can be either Villains or Henchmen)

Given the suggested release for the expansion being August, however, I'm thinking it's more likely to be a 200-250 card expansion:

10x Heroes (140 cards)
2x Mastermind (10 Cards)
2x Villain (16 cards)
4x Henchmen (40 Cards)
4x Schemes (4 cards)

And that's 210 cards. This would be in line with some of the large deckbuilder expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
rabidroadkill wrote:
I believe I read a quote on here from the developers that their first expansion would not be coming until August, assuming then GenCon.

That's crazy time to wait for an expansion for a dbg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerKraken wrote:
That's crazy time to wait for an expansion for a dbg

I think so too, that's why I say mini xpacs every month or 2, come on UDE, shut up and take my money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they do take a FFG LCG take on things, I could see something like this:

2 Heroes (28 cards)
2 villain Groups (16 cards) - either separate groups or variations on previous groups
1 Mastermind (5 cards)
1 Henchman group (10 cards)
1 Scheme

That would give a total of 60 cards every month or so (with, probably, 21 unique cards and 12 new pieces of art) - pretty much right in line with what FFG puts out each month for their own games, with the ability to put out large size 'Team expansions' focusing on the various teams that Marvel has (X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, X Factor, etc).
Honestly, it would be a really good way to bring out the various unaffiliated characters as well as fleshing out the lesser known characters that didn't make it in to the big Team expansions. Then again, UDE knows what they're doing, and I'm looking forward to what they do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rabidroadkill wrote:

I hope they rethink that - the game would die off by then. Resident Evil has been successful mainly because of the constant influx of new cards and game variants. It almost seems like there is a new one every quarter or six months. 9 months, though ... That's kind of long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would depend... If it's another 500 card set, then it'll be worth the wait (especially as that will shoot the possible combinations through the roof! As if they weren't there already). Then again, I'd rather have quarter-to-half sized expansions once every few months than one ginormous one once or twice a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fil florian
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. More smaller is better than larger and I love the "shut up and take my money" point because I totally agree with it. We have been playing this on and off since we got it opening day and love it. Taking it to my second game group to share this Thursday to no doubt some love, too. I think tie-ins with the movies coming down the pike would be cool, too (okay, I am really jonesing for Guardians of the Galaxy and you could do an entire update based on that group of heroes, villains, masterminds and henchmen...it "writes itself.")

Will enough griping get them to release stuff or is there a bit with Marvel being involved that guides it? How much is in the hands of Upper Deck, the developers or Marvel over all of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brozik
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Based on previous UDE products (this from a huge Vs fan) expect 300 card expansions every 5 months....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CABRISC wrote:
Based on previous UDE products (this from a huge Vs fan) expect 300 card expansions every 5 months....

this would be ok too, it just seems a bit much to have to wait 9+ months for the 1st expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They've already mentioned they're doing something new with the expansion. (Something that is not traditional of deck building expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant tell you exactly what our plan is , but I think you all be happy as to how it is implemented. Look for the first expansion in August, It will be well....A**********
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astonishing?

So we can expect to see Kitty, Colossus, Beast etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
I cant tell you exactly what our plan is , but I think you all be happy as to how it is implemented. Look for the first expansion in August, It will be well....A**********

Apocalypse with an extra star added cause he's awesome?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
August! That's like...3 years away pretty much! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either that or Apocalyptic, which could mean Galactus, Apocalypse, Thanatos, and other big hitters (which, of course, would mean the presence of the Silver Surfer and other cosmic level heroes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow -- so it is 9 months or more away. Makes me wonder if they're holding it as a tie-in for The Wolverine movie. I would have probably shot for two expansions - one with Iron Man 3 then another at the end of summer.

Looking at all the other big deckbuilders (Dominion, Thunderstone, Ascension, Resident Evil) - they all had two expansions or more within a year of the base set release ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayntampa wrote:
rabidroadkill wrote:

I hope they rethink that - the game would die off by then.

"Die off"? I guess my Avalon Hill board games would be considered from prehistoric times if we are now assuming nine months is a game's lifespan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I'm glad UDE is taking time with the expansions. I, like every one else on this board, would kill for lots of expansions, but every one knows how easy it is just to milk the money out of the fans. C'mon, it's Marvel!

I hope each expansion will add something substantial to the gameplay, new mechanisms, masterminds or villains with harder difficulty for solo/co-op that is not achieved simply by adding numbers, instead of just character set with generic abilities that every fan can come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well already unhappy at the news. DBG's need constant flow of options to stay interesting, after several games on Legendary it's already screaming to us for expansions and lot of other games to come out and take our interest away in all that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has inherent variety thanks to the order the cards from both decks are drawn, and the schemes. This isn't Dominion or Eminent Domain, where your options are set from the start and it's simply a puzzle to solve. Factor in the multi-player effects of card recruiting and villain fighting, and no two games will be alike.

I still own and play games I acquired eight years ago. Games that have far less variance from play-to-play as this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if i could chime in, at first i was totally in the camp of wanting more smaller expansions sooner.

however i just remembered a game that has been banished from my collection Thunderstone. Does everyone remember how often they pumped out their expansions? I didnt even have enough time to play the new one 2 times before there was another one announced.

I dont mind waiting for an expansion, as long as when it does come, it is big, and it makes the game so much better that it makes the game hit the table more than before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.