5 Posts

DarkStar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two player game setup- clarifications? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
I have some questions, and would like some clarifications about the 2-player game setup that stumped me when setting the game up for the first time, though I am assuming I have things mostly right. Maybe it's just me reading into things oddly, though .

First of all, am I correct in that each player, when looking at the long side of the board they are on, ends up with a destroyed Capitol System to their left, and an intact Capitol system to their right?

Second, when placing units, does each owning player place the units from their two Houses into the systems on their long side of the board, (thus ending with two isolated groups of squadrons- one of just Martial units and one a mix of Martial and Administrative- separated by several unclaimed systems in the middle of that long side)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisgrimm wrote:
First of all, am I correct in that each player, when looking at the long side of the board they are on, ends up with a destroyed Capitol System to their left, and an intact Capitol system to their right?

Yup, I know this feels a little counter-intuitive. I take my cue from Chess, which reveals the desirability of mirror rather than rotational symmetry. Thus one player will have a destroyed system to their left, and the other to their right, in mirror-symmetry across the board. This yields the strictly fairest setup.

Aegisgrimm wrote:
Second, when placing units, does each owning player place the units from their two Houses into the systems on their long side of the board, (thus ending with two isolated groups of squadrons- one of just Martial units and one a mix of Martial and Administrative- separated by several unclaimed systems in the middle of that long side)?

You should end up with 16 squadrons placed in--well yes, two clusters describes that quite well. You should have all your martial squadrons on the board (thus ensuring you maximise that house's benefit) and a handful of admin squadrons doing duty on two outposts, with a few unclaimed systems interspersed. (Note to self, beg Ilya to illustrate this setup.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Yup, I know this feels a little counter-intuitive. I take my cue from Chess, which reveals the desirability of mirror rather than rotational symmetry. Thus one player will have a destroyed system to their left, and the other to their right, in mirror-symmetry across the board. This yields the strictly fairest setup.

Ok, I figured as much. The players are controlling Capitol systems which are set up on diagonal corners of the board. Maximizes the play area.

Quote:
You should end up with 16 squadrons placed in--well yes, two clusters describes that quite well. You should have all your martial squadrons on the board (thus ensuring you maximise that house's benefit) and a handful of admin squadrons doing duty on two outposts, with a few unclaimed systems interspersed. (Note to self, beg Ilya to illustrate this setup.)

A picture is always the most explanatory, but I get it. What threw me is that if I am setting up correctly, you end up with one stack of squadrons from the Martial House all the way across the board from the rest of them, when some of the usual games of this type might tend to group all the like units together- regardless of the fact that they are on the same side.

As long as that's how it's supposed to be, I'm golden, and hope to get some plays in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisgrimm wrote:
Ok, I figured as much. The players are controlling Capitol systems which are set up on diagonal corners of the board. Maximizes the play area.

Just to be clear, the players control capitols that face each other orthogonally across the board, not diagonally. So if your capitol is on your left, mine will be on my right.

Quote:
A picture is always the most explanatory, but I get it. What threw me is that if I am setting up correctly, you end up with one stack of squadrons from the Martial House all the way across the board from the rest of them, when some of the usual games of this type might tend to group all the like units together- regardless of the fact that they are on the same side.

As long as that's how it's supposed to be, I'm golden, and hope to get some plays in!

It is how it is supposed to be I tried various configurations and this seemed to work best. That said, feedback from further play is always welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Ooohhhhh.....

Whoops, and as such, noted. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.