Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first play the other night with 3 players. I had read several comments about how we shouldn't feel bad if we fry the world (>500ppm) our first few games because it's easy to do when you're inexperienced.

We never came close to that disaster...we were above 350ppm for maybe 3 turns and then brought it back down (we forgot that that's a game-ending condition and played until the last decade). I read the rulebook again afterwards to make sure we raised the ppm properly...anytime a new dirty plant had to be placed - check.

We all wanted to avoid being responsible for disasters, so we tried to make sure we were building green power plants evenly. Someone suggested that maybe not building plants and letting the ppm get higher held an advantage, but I don't see how since VPs come from building plants and getting cards (which you get for building plants). However, that idea would contradict the assertion that inexperienced players burn the world to a crisp.

Is there an aspect we're missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the stategy aspect, but 3-players seems to be the easiest count to avoid disaster. I recommend starting with the pollution level at 240ppm (40ppm fossil fuel plants in each region).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading Vital's strategy post, it seems we undervalued playing the CEP market (we rarely bought or sold unless we wanted a CEP to install something). The winner had control of regions with full CEP stacks and jacked the price up at the end.

We also undervalued sending scientists to summits. We did plenty of it, but one player did complain that receiving 1 coin for being kicked off a project seemed far too low. I see from his article that being kicked off a project is valuable because a kicked off scientist=summit attendee=expertise=$=VP.

However, this raises a thematic disconnect. "It's C02, the game about saving the world by building green power!" (psst-no, it's not-it's about getting your scientists to the most conferences [Vital's quote: "...summits are one of the main scoring generators of the game"]).

So why isn't it "C02-the game about sending your scientists to summits!"? Oh you MIGHT have to build a green plant or two to stop the world from dying, but it's not how you win, it's just how you don't lose.

I always fall for that - The theme indicates I should do one thing but that isn't REALLY what I should do to win. "It's In The Year of the Dragon, the game about avoiding disasters!" Well, disasters are bad and if I avoid the most, I should do better than the others. But wait - it's really "In The Year of the Dragon - the game about buying dragon scrolls!" The disasters aren't that big of a deal. So why are 90% of the rules about disasters and how to avoid them? Sorry, I'm rambling.

Anyway, I enjoyed CO2, and I look forward to trying it with Vital's tips in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LaRuffa
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that the way of the world though. While everyone would agree that it is important to save the world by chipping in to the green solution, in practice, more people are just concerned with their own fame and influence which, in this case, would lead scientist to want to spend more time speaking about their ideas than actually doing something with them. I don't know, it sounds pretty real-world to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
"It's C02, the game about saving the world by building green power!"

I don't think anyone ever suggested this game was about saving the world by building green power. I always assumed it was about profiting from the opportunities provided by the burgeoning green power market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.