GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on traits. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Hi,im a bit confused as to the traits part of the game and have a few questions .1- How do you know the difference between normal traits and special traits , and is it only the special traits that cost orders

2- If i have to spend orders on traits,how much does it cost ?Is it for example 1 order token to order the unit and another order token to use the trait ,or 1 order token to order the unit and because the unit already has an order token,is it another 1 plus 1 order token thus another 2 order tokens to use the trait.

Anyway as you can see im a bit confused with this part of the game and the rules dont really go into depth on this or give any examples.If someone could give me an example of this i would be really grateful. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
cutter3377 wrote:
Hi,im a bit confused as to the traits part of the game and have a few questions .1- How do you know the difference between normal traits and special traits , and is it only the special traits that cost orders

Special traits have the color from the top stripe in a 'tab' around them.

cutter3377 wrote:
2- If i have to spend orders on traits,how much does it cost ?Is it for example 1 order token to order the unit and another order token to use the trait ,or 1 order token to order the unit and because the unit already has an order token,is it another 1 plus 1 order token thus another 2 order tokens to use the trait.

Same as any other order, one plus the amount of orders already on the unit, barring special rules, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:8 - L:6
badge
G o H a w k s !
mbmbmbmbmb
cutter3377 wrote:
1- How do you know the difference between normal traits and special traits , and is it only the special traits that cost orders

Special traits are always represented by an icon on the troop tile (which can be compared to the corresponding trait listed and described in the little reference guide). I'm not sure there are "normal traits" - though there are "normal" rules that apply generally to all troops.

cutter3377 wrote:

You only spend orders to activate a unit (made up of 1 or more troop-tiles). Any special traits possessed by that unit are automatically activated because the unit is ordered. You don't pay extra to use the trait.

An exception might be when you use an order token to move a unit and choose not (or cannot) make use of its special trait. But even then, you don't pay extra orders to use the trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies guys but they seem to be conflicting.According to the rulebook, traits are special abilities some units have and some of those traits are listed as special actions that require an order to be issued.In my play summary sheet all the traits look the same and there is nothing dividing special traits from the normal traits.Also ,to use one of these special traits ,would i be correct in asssuming that it would cost 3 order tokens in total ie-1 to order the unit and then to use the special trait ,because there is already an order token on it,you would need another 1 ,plus 1 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
G o H a w k s !
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I've misunderstood. Maybe you could provide an example, a specific trait you understand to function this way...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
No,its probably me thats misunderstood but according to the rule book thats what it says that there are some traits that require you to spend a command on but thats my whole point ,i dont know which ones they are and how you go about doing it.If it was like you said it would be somuch easier so i hope you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
G o H a w k s !
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. Can you identify the place in the rulebook? (I hope to refer to it later today.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Its on page 21 under which is the second last page and its under
Using a special trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Ok ,now i know whats happened.Now that i looked at the traits of the roman and celts game i see the special traits which are double order,excite and heal which are separated by a line and are the first 3 on the traits sheet.

I actually read the rules on the macedonian and persian set and was looking at their traits and they dont have any special traits that are divided like the roman and celts set.Thats why i was getting confused but i still would like an example of how to do use the special trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.