Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dickey
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Farming Game,

Anna, who has played this game since she was a child, introduced the Farming game, to us this evening.

As a rule, if someone brings a game to the game group, we will play.

With that said………..

The component included in the game,

Game board

3 sets of game cards
Operating expense Farmer’s Fate Option to buy

Six different color-playing pawns

Harvest Rate Chart

Field and Livestock Chits

Dice

Paper Money

The farming game is a sort of monopoly style game, in which you roll the die and move around the board.

Each player starts off with a 10 acre field of grain and a 10 acre field of hay, $5,000.00 and a promissory note for that $5,000.00, yes you start the game in debt. The outer edge of the board is set up to represent a calendar year, starting with the winter months and moving towards, your first harvest in spring, then summer and finally fall. During the beginning spaces of the game, you do not harvest, you mostly land on spaces that do terrible thing, or instruct you to take a card, which will do terrible things. When you move to the later part of the year, in which you can harvest, you roll a die to see how well your harvest did, as well as takes a random operating expense card. These operating expense cards could lead to a player actually owing money after a harvest. The only real way to progress in the game is to invest in more equipment and fields. Which usually mean taking more promissory notes. The game is a balance of debt verse income with a random amount of good and bad, fortunes depending on spaces landed on and cards drawn.

The object of the game is to the first player with $250,000.00 and no debt. This really drags the game…………….we had played for nearly three hours until one player had reached $50,000.00.

Most of us found that one moment in the game, a player could do exceptionally well and then suddenly, the same player would be in unbelievable debt. Since the main game mechanic is essentially rolling a die to move, and then rolling a die to see how well your harvest was, it all random, with no chance of any strategy involved. Due to this randomness, lack of strategy and long playing time, I really can’t recommend this game.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dickey
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh by the way for those of you who have been living in a hole, Agricola, is the "THE" farming game!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmdickey wrote:
Oh by the way for those of you who have been living in a hole, Agricola, is the "THE" farming game!!!!!!

Sort of. I really enjoy Agricola, but the type of farming in that game (subsistence) is completely different than what this or other "modern" farm games try to portray (commercial).

I enjoyed this as a kid. I was contemplating locating a copy somewhere, but am thinking that the luck factor would not sit well in my adulthood. It might work for when my son is old enough to start learning real games beyond Candyland.

It's too bad there isn't a new farming game that revolves around crops, livestock and the futures market, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.