Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Under orders from Santa Grogs : Newbie Wargamers: ask me a question ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
That hard taskmaster Santa Grogs has set me a task, so as I always obey orders I am carrying them out or I will be up on a charge peeling spuds or polishing boots.

Here is the task in his words
Quote:

So you think you're so smart, soldier!? Trying to run recon and counter-intelligence on Ol' Santa Grogs!?

Just for that, I've got a new missions for you. A real "treat" if you ask me. We've got a package en route to your location, but in the meantime, you've got the following orders:

You must create a thread on the Wargame subforum with the title: "Newbie Wargamers, ask your questions here" (or some variation of that). Then you must inform the community that you will indeed answer any Newbie Wargaming questions, no matter how trivial, including but not limited to:

1) What is a wargame?
2) Is Memoir '44 / Small World / Twilight Struggle / etc a wargame?
3) Can you recommend me a game that I will like even though you don't know me and I have no prior wargaming experience?
4) What is "Case Blue?"

You may indicate that Santa Grogs put you up to this task. In fact, it is encouraged to do so.

This is your mission, and you must accept it.

Mission 1: Update Wishlist Comments - Due 11/17
Mission 2: Create Newbie Friendly Post - Due 11/24
Mission 3: Classified - Due 12/01

End Transmission

So good ole Santa Grogs is trying to act like CSM Bourne
Santa Grogs
APO/FPO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Note the resemblance ?
I don't, well apart from the red coat and funny facial hair.

So lads fire way !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Case Blue, why is it a wargame, how does it compare to Memoir 44, and do you think I will like it????? (Trying to help you out here ninja )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
What is Case Blue, why is it a wargame, how does it compare to Memoir 44, and do you think I will like it????? (Trying to help you out here ninja )

First rule of war gaming is never mention the game C___ B___, this makes it very difficult to buy or play as you can never actually refer to the game without causing a timely-wimey paradox.

Memoir 44 is the best wargame ever, other than most of the rest. How are they different ? They tried C___ B___ with plastic figures, but they would not fit in the game box, so they had to use counters instead.

If you are new to war gaming, have a child or likes going 'pew pew' when you play a game; then buy Memoir 44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need to know as a newbie the following: Any more metaphysical and your brain will get blown out!

1) What is a wargame?

A game about war that is not Memoir '44 / Small World / Twilight Struggle

2) Is Memoir '44 / Small World / Twilight Struggle / etc a wargame?

See answer to (1)

3) Can you recommend me a game that I will like even though you don't know me and I have no prior wargaming experience?

No Retreat! The Russian Front, you can't go too far wrong with this answer.

4) What is "Case Blue?"

A fine example of a wargame, that is not Memoir '44 / Small World / Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War, what is it good for ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Why is ASL so gamey with the skulking rule?

2. What makes Up Front the best wargame ever made?

3. Should I trade my unopened and mint copy of Case Blue for a copy of Busen Memo?

4. Where do ASL players get all their money to buy OOP parts for their game?

5. Please tell me the difference between ASL and Conflict of Heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Budden
Australia
Mayfield West
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a relatively newbie wargamer and a non-military man I was wondering if there's an easy way to remember the military units in correct size order; army, division, regiment etc? I'm always confusing which ones bigger, divisions or regiments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you recommend me a wargame that will match our cushions? They are mostly covered with a pink butterfly design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Nutter,

I'm having troubles grokking a Ted Raicer wargame (Case Yellow). I like it and will keep at it until i get it but... it has so many tiny little side rules.

Is this something i'm going to encounter in other designs by Mr. Raicer?

Thanks... C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I am a history buff who was recently made aware of the possibilities of gaming actual battles from the past by a friend who got me to play Small World with him at a party (there had been a lot of drinking going on), and I am now looking for something for two players, but sometimes as many as five show up in our weekly discussion group, but that has solitaire suitability because I want to practice and get better, that has card driven chit-pull mechanics at the grand tactical, tactical, or sub-tactical level but with abstracted leaders and off-board artillery, with some diplomacy options that allow shifting alliances plus individual, randomly drawn characters who let you bend or break the rules in their own special way, about the Battle of Lake Khasan between the Soviets and Japanese in 1938. What can you recommend?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer, do you have guts and veins in your teeth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it like Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
War, what is it good for ?

Lots of good games, an excuse for the lads to get together for a field trip aka joining the Army etc and....errr.... That's about it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:
Can you recommend me a wargame that will match our cushions? They are mostly covered with a pink butterfly design.

Yes, go old school and get Afrika Korps, the pink counters are the perfect finishing touch to your tasteful decor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

No Retreat! The Russian Front, you can't go too far wrong with this answer.

I disagree, unless an experienced war gamer is there to teach, it's a great game but very unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why aren't there any tanks in the Combat Commander Series?

I met this guy at a game store who says The Campaign for North Africa is a great wargame? Does it has any solo rules?

Why are most wargames produced with such cheap looking components? Folded paper maps? Cardboard chits that I have to tear off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
As a wargamer, do you have guts and veins in your teeth?

If you were a real wargamer you would not have any teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
"Paths of Glory" has a stacking limit of three units, regardless of their size. Is this a typo?!

(That runs the gamut from three corps to three armies. What the hell?!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
Why aren't there any tanks in the Combat Commander Series?

I met this guy at a game store who says The Campaign for North Africa is a great wargame? Does it has any solo rules?

Why are most wargames produced with such cheap looking components? Folded paper maps? Cardboard chits that I have to tear off?

No tanks in CC, two reasons
1) Chad Jensen is a 'sexy munkey', all buff and muscled and if he says no tanks then there are no tanks, if he said no infantry in CC I would have to agree with him cos he scares me.
2) There are tanks in CC (soon at least) so get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
visionvalley wrote:
As a relatively newbie wargamer and a non-military man I was wondering if there's an easy way to remember the military units in correct size order; army, division, regiment etc? I'm always confusing which ones bigger, divisions or regiments.

This is the single most difficult thing for me to get a grasp on too. Please answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Oh, and do you know of any cover art for a wargame--a real wargame--that features full-figured ladies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Siinji wrote:
visionvalley wrote:

This is the single most difficult thing for me to get a grasp on too. Please answer
Well, it all depends, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Why all the repetition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Risk like Case Blue, only simpler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
Since 1989: Dawn of Freedom is a clear derivative of Twilight Struggle, is it also a wargame?

Who said TS is a wargame ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.