Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are versions and expansions for High Frontier, which seem even more tortuous than the map. Please steer me in the right direction.

I have the revised version of the basic set "incorporating errata as of Oct 2011". Basic and expanded rules within, but only the basic cards.

I understand there is the HF expansion for the politics plus cards radiators, generators, and reactors to meet the expanded rules. So that could be another purchase but sold out according to the Sierra Madre website.

Beyond that there are the poster maps. These I suspect would be great, but, without the cards for the expanded rules, of less use.

And now I find there is the Colonisation expansion which has more guff plus the cards of the expanded rules. And due, according to the Sierra Madre website, in just one more year.

What is the way forward for an impatient rocketeer? Hunt down the expansion? Await colonisation? Or have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't missed anything. You have four options:

1. Buy the poster map and use it with the basic game rules and components, possibly with the addition of slingshots/moon boosts. You can do that now, but the unexpanded game is seriously lacking in a few respects, in my opinion.

2. Find a copy of the expansion. The probability of success is uncertain.

3. Wait for Colonization. Scheduled for October 2013...

4. Enter an ethical grey area by buying the poster map and making your own copies of the cards and the sunspot cycle/space politics displays. The information for doing so is available from several sources, including various card lists in the files area, and the Vassal module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
It`s Schneider Option 3 for me. Unless I win the Lotto and can buy a house big enough to go for Schneider Option 1 too. Having a 5ft by 3ft space map permanently set up on it`s own table would be cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a poster map, and made my own support cards.

The Colonisation expansion will be an automatic purchase when it comes out, and I'd still buy a copy of the original "expansion" if one were available, but in the meantime I'm stuck with my interim solution.

I don't see this as an ethical issue at all - it's not like this is costing Sierra Madre Games any money, or denying them a sale. In fact, quite the reverse, as I've bought a poster map that will end up being extraneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the clarifications. Tracking down the bits and bobs is an option. I think I'll do just that - and start saving the pennies, cents, & zloty for when Colonisation comes out.

Doesn't seem to be a P500 or suchlike for this, so I'll just have to be very, very patient.

Thanks again for the advice & guidance. Still following the play-by-fora games to learn some of the tricks. And tricks a-go-go there are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sierra Maderes sight has a download for the front side of the support cards so no need to worry the ethics there ..

And following the pbf will save you alot of pain

Zazzle is a bit like a cheap date for obtaining the poster map ,(60 percent discounts often ,search for coupons).. (a must in my opinion), buy the colonization map now though ...and I prefer the matte surface poster paper this is fine enough at 24 * 36 . mount it on sheet metal and then you can use magnets for the moving parts ..good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would hold off on the Colonization map - Phil has said he's not 100% certain it won't be changed before March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
erich_schneider wrote:
You haven't missed anything. You have four options:

1. Buy the poster map and use it with the basic game rules and components, possibly with the addition of slingshots/moon boosts. You can do that now, but the unexpanded game is seriously lacking in a few respects, in my opinion.

2. Find a copy of the expansion. The probability of success is uncertain.

3. Wait for Colonization. Scheduled for October 2013...

4. Enter an ethical grey area by buying the poster map and making your own copies of the cards and the sunspot cycle/space politics displays. The information for doing so is available from several sources, including various card lists in the files area, and the Vassal module.

I'll add Option 5: Get hold of Vassal - there is a High Frontier module made for it. Of course this doesn't allow you to drool all over the poster map, and really isn't suited for face-to-face play like the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.