Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

do you think that some challenges in solitaire play are extremelly difficult to complete, so they destroy your money, turn by turn until you lose?

How is it possible for someone to pass 2 telegates in one turn?

How is it possible to find your homeplanet really fast?

and some others...

I think they made them very difficult, and i dont mind very much the difficulty, but in solitaire, i think you miss the fun of trading and making money, and you only run for the challenges, until you roll the perfect rolls and complete them...until then, they reduce your money....
but you CANT make any money, because you run for challenges....

hmmm.....am i doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
manolios wrote:
Hello!

do you think that some challenges in solitaire play are extremelly difficult to complete, so they destroy your money, turn by turn until you lose?

How is it possible for someone to pass 2 telegates in one turn?

How is it possible to find your homeplanet really fast?

and some others...

I think they made them very difficult, and i dont mind very much the difficulty, but in solitaire, i think you miss the fun of trading and making money, and you only run for the challenges, until you roll the perfect rolls and complete them...until then, they reduce your money....
but you CANT make any money, because you run for challenges....

hmmm.....am i doing something wrong?

No you are playing it right, its ridiculous how hard the challenges are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I house ruled them almost instantly.

I'm only paying the Fee, when the turn of the challenge is making it active.

10c at turn one, 30c (plus the previous 10c), in turn 7, etc.

It is somewhat easier and more fun and strategic.

We will see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do seem difficult, but not impossible. Although having said that I've yet to beat them - but I have managed to get up to the penultimate one.

It helps a lot to look at them and plan in advance. If your second challenge is to accumulate first contact credits, for example, don't spend any until you've passed it. If your third challenge is to pass telegates, pass a lot of encounter spaces and see if you can bring them on the board in advance.

A lot of people like solo play to be difficult, so I'm sure it's planned that way. I'm less happy that some of the challenges seem excessively random. That telegate one, for example, could be very easy or impossible depending on what encounter cards you draw.

Another idea I saw somewhere was to lay out all the challenge cards, and pick whichever one of the pair you like when you hit the appropriate round. I haven't tried this but it sounds like a fun idea, making the game only a little easier but giving you more chance to plan.

I get that it basically removes the exploration element of the game, rendering it secondary. I don't mind that as it helps to make solo play different to multi-player. But if it bothers you just take the suggestion in the rules and play a solo game using the normal rules, put a score sheet in the box and try to aim for a high score each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I haven't won yet either, I've played around 10 times (a few of those games I gave up by round 7 because I recognized I was already not going to win).

I did get to around turn 25 twice.

I would definitely suggest not randomly selecting the challenge cards. Either pick what you want or put them all out and just need to beat one of the two in each grouping if you are just starting out.

The challenge factor here is insane!

One variant I thought of was treating the challenge cards as bonuses. Completing them gets you money, or points at the end of the game.

So let's say you finish the game with $900, and completed 3 of the challenges. We could create a point total for each challenge and add that to the end score.

Just a thought. At first it was fun how hard the game was but now it is just frustrating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
Sadly I haven't won yet either, I've played around 10 times (a few of those games I gave up by round 7 because I recognized I was already not going to win).

I did get to around turn 25 twice.

I would definitely suggest not randomly selecting the challenge cards. Either pick what you want or put them all out and just need to beat one of the two in each grouping if you are just starting out.

The challenge factor here is insane!

One variant I thought of was treating the challenge cards as bonuses. Completing them gets you money, or points at the end of the game.

So let's say you finish the game with $900, and completed 3 of the challenges. We could create a point total for each challenge and add that to the end score.

Just a thought. At first it was fun how hard the game was but now it is just frustrating

Yes indeed!
the challenge here is not tested at all!
-Some challenges require just pure luck,
-some others, are extremelly difficult to complete, while credits are running out of your pocket for no clear reason,
-you do not explore
-you do not trade
-you do not gain money or establishing trade routes
-you run like hell, to fulfill them
-oh and not to forget the Effect of every challenge card that ruins your day

The only positive is that the solo game is very very fast

Luckily, the game is great after all, and i think that better solo variants will come out from the game commmunity.

I found out a solo variant in Mechants and Marauders, i can find it now also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am hesitant to assign point values to the challenges as so many of them are so luck-based. Yet when I played without any challenges, it was a bit boring for me.

A variant that simulates other players a bit would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not impossible, but very dependent on luck. I won my first time, but I know that I just got lucky with the cards I drew and the rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the solo game is very very hard.

Still, if you want a game in which you want to play this game as normal as it can be instead of running for your dear life, here is what I do and I keep my scores for each solo variant.

Solitaire Rules: All regular rules plus:
- Remove the doubling effect of Fame for the Fuzzy dice.
- Any encounter card that specifies an opponent, you ignore that portion of the card.

A) Normal Standard Solitaire: Best Score:
1- Use all the regular rules plus the Optional rule Solo Challenge game.
2- Start with your 2 options.
3- Add the following Optional rules:
a) Demand tokens
b) Asteroid system telegate

B) Helpful Solitaire: Best score:
1- Use all regular rules plus a modified Solo Challenge game.
a) Pay the challenge fee only on Mining turns.
b) Pay only the highest challenge fee not the total of the challenge cards or lose.
2- Start with 20 credits plus your 2 options.
3- Add the following Optional rules:
a) Demand tokens

C) Apprentice Solitaire: Best score:
1- Use all regular rules without the Solo Challenge game.
2- Pay 10 credits at the start of every game turn starting with the first turn or lose.
3- Play without the challenge cards to get the maximum value at the end of 30 turns.
4- Start with 50 credits.
5- Add the following Optional rules:
a) Demand tokens
6- Never replenish any goods. Once sold, put them back in the box. This is to prevent a repetitive profit run because this solo is easier.

D) Novice Solitaire: Best score:
1- Use all regular rules without the Solo Challenge game.
2- Play without the challenge cards to get the maximum value at the end of 30 turns.
3- Start with 20 credits.
4- Add the following Optional rules:
a) Demand tokens
5- Never replenish any goods. Once sold, put them back in the box. . This is to prevent a repetitive profit run because this solo is easier.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game, and made it to the level 25 challenge. I'm near certain that if I'd have planned better, I could have won. So it's certainly possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean as I got that far too, but then I played another 5 times and still haven't won. It is frustrating to have so much dependent on luck in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yesterday I played the game (solo) for the first time and after two very quick defeats I managed to win completing all challenges with 15 turns to go.

While the game is a lot of fun - win or lose - a criticism that I have is that after losing twice I felt that getting the "cr30 and a hard burn" starting equipment was almost a mandatory choice even if I did not yet know what challenges I'd face.

When you risk having to produce 24 points of movement quite soon in the game, or travel twice through gates, it seems a far superior choice to stuff like lasers or shields that you can buy from aliens.

Luck is a bit too important for some challenges. In a game that I lost I could not complete Homesick because I simply never met my pilot's race in twenty turns... In the game that I won (again I had Homesick), I almost immediately met the Eepeep so I was able to buy data probes from them and found my race at the third and last attempt.

Now, it's not a huge deal to lose because it takes a minute to reset the board and play again, but I think that challenges are not very well balanced and that there should be more of them for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 5 times, won once (but I chose the challenges).
Once I almost won (if the humans weren't hiding from me).

So yes, solo games are veeery luck based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bulmahn
msg tools
Hi! After 3 Losses looking nearly impossible I won today.

I always take the data probe option to look under a nearby Planet and a far away one to place a Species with inexpensive goods nearby.

The Second Passagener was the Caterer to be delivered from Galactic Center to Species 1 for 300c. And due to my data probe i knew that Species 1 was directly nearby on Colony World.

So that's pure luck and gave me enough Cash to pay long enough the Fees to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.