Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 Questions reg. Last Cell & Failed Jihad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I went through the rules forum, but I am still a bit unsure. Hope this is not too much of a bother:

1) During {minor|major} Jihad each failed die role removes one cell. Correct? If there are more cells than needed, there might be sleepers still there. The Jihadist nevertheless will always chose a (just awakened) active cell, right? If things go really bad, a major Jihad might lead to three cells less in that country!?

2) Strategy: Minor Jihads are primarily conducted to prepare a country for major Jihad, right, i.e. pushing it down to 3/poor.

3) If the last cell is removed from a country, the Jihadist places a Cadre marker there. Some forum articles say this is also true of the last cell is removed by an event. Is that correct? "Predator" would replace the last cell with a Cadre marker? To remove that one, the U.S. would have to deploy troops and disrupt the Cadre marker?

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Olav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olav wrote:
1) During {minor|major} Jihad each failed die role removes one cell. Correct? If there are more cells than needed, there might be sleepers still there. The Jihadist nevertheless will always chose a (just awakened) active cell, right? If things go really bad, a major Jihad might lead to three cells less in that country!?

Yes and No.
To perform a Major Jiahad you have to activate ALL cells in the country, so you can never have a sleeper cell to choose with that option. And as you rightly say, if things go bad you could lose 3 cells.
You can perform a Minor Jihad with some of the cells in the country (e.g. 2 of 3 cells in a country) but any cells you use will become active cells, and they are the only ones you can chose to remove if a die fails, so while it is possible to have both active and sleeper cells in a country with a Minor Jihad, sleeper cells cannot be removed by a failed die.

olav wrote:
2) Strategy: Minor Jihads are primarily conducted to prepare a country for major Jihad, right, i.e. pushing it down to 3/poor.

Or if you wanted to make it more difficult for the US to make an ally country, or possibly to make it easier to plot in a country/get the preqs for an event to go off. I'm sure more experienced players can tell you more than I on strategy though.

olav wrote:
3) If the last cell is removed from a country, the Jihadist places a Cadre marker there. Some forum articles say this is also true of the last cell is removed by an event. Is that correct? "Predator" would replace the last cell with a Cadre marker? To remove that one, the U.S. would have to deploy troops and disrupt the Cadre marker?

Yes, if the last cell is removed, by an event or by disrupt, a cadre marker is placed.
But you don't need to have troops in a country to disrupt, it just makes it more efficient to do so. If you have 2 or more troops in a county you can disrupt 2 cells instead of 1 and you will gain 1 prestige, but it's not a requirement to have them in the country
However, you can only disrupt in Ally or Hard countries or countries with at least 2 troops in. If you happen to have troops in a country and it goes neutral/soft due to a plot/Jihad then having at least 2 troops in that country allows you the ability to disrupt, it has become a requirement for that country, but I don't think I've ever seen that happen (and thinking about it I've probably disrupted in soft countries without troops by mistake, must remember that rule for later games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
olav wrote:

Minor Jihad is the most important tool in your arsenal as the Jihadist player. I've seen too many times a new player only using terror plots to affect governance.

Remember that the lower the governance of a muslim country, the more ops it takes the US player to do anything there.

You also need to do your minor jihad rolls in good governance countries. Because of the DRM the US gets from good countries they can quickly spread like a free and democratic virus and you have to take them away quickly. You will lose a lot of cells doing this, as only a 1 is a success but it's vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice, thank you! Please don't tell the AI, though. ;-) I am still looking forward to the first Labyrinth match with two players. So far I try to find the time to play at least solitaire. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am late to this post, but I also wanted to note that if your last cell in a space is eliminated due to a Jihad a cadre is not placed in that space.

One other clarification; you can also always disrupt in a non-muslim country. If the posture is soft you can only affect one cell, if hard two cells. Troops are typically only deployed to allied muslim countries, so they are not usually present in the non-muslim countries. The only exception to this I can think of is the Abu Sayyaf event which allows troops to be deployed to the Philippines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.