Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you place a labourer in the Works, what counts as carrying out the action?

The rules give the conversion rates and say "Do this up to three times". Does that mean you must do it 'one, two or three times' or does it mean you must do it 'zero, one, two or three' times? In other words, does choosing to convert nothing still count as taking the action?

Last night the answer to this was significant. If the blue works labourer chose to convert nothing, then the blue track layer would not have enough steel bars to finish the track and the game would continue an additional round. Our house rule (you must convert something if you can) meant he had no choice but to produce steel, lay track and trigger the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
The spirit of the game is to build the railway wherever possible. Obviously, you may dibs your place on the Works hoping to gather some raw materials and then miss out, meaning the Works action becomes unresolvable.

As with excavating and laying track actions, you must perform them to the best of your ability. The Works is '1, 2 or 3' mini-actions, so you must do AT LEAST ONE mini-action with the 2nd and 3rd being optional.

So, to sum up: if you have the resources to do so, you MUST do at least ONE mini-action on Works.

Cheers,
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tony. So we got the right interpretation with our house rule.

If I'm honest I should own up to being the only one arguing for the wrong interpretation - converting nothing (='up to three') counting as an action. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.