Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Staines-upon-Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm sure this has been asked many times in various forms, but scanning few the first few pages there was nothing quite answering my particular query, so here goes.

Looking to freshen up my family's Christmas gaming, having been subjected to relentless Cranium for the better part of a decade. I've already bought Dixit, and will probably add one more party game. I'm thinking one of Time's Up, Pictomania or Wits & Wagers (or Gambit 7, since we're in Europe). Any recommendations on those would be appreciated.

However, my primary question is regarding a slightly heavier game... I want to try them on something like Pandemic or Ticket to Ride but I am struggling to decide between the two... any thoughts on which might be best for a typical, non-gaming family... or any other suggestions besides these two?

I get the impression that either one will work, but I was hoping someone might be able to push me convincingly in one direction or another before I click the buy button.

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan might be fun as well as Ticket to Ride.

A co-op like pandemic can work, but not everyone will get how that's a game, if they aren't used to the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro plays up to 8 in about 20 minutes, and is pretty quick to teach. We've played it at holiday parties with non-gamers and it has worked well.

Pit can also handle large crowds, and everyone's playing all the time, so no downtime.

If you want something with a touch more going on, 7 Wonders is short, and everyone is playing all the time (no downtime to lose people's attention).

Ticket to Ride is a classic choice. Qwirkle, Blokus, or Ingeniou might be worth a look, for something a little more abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Staines-upon-Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tsuro is certainly interesting, but seems to be completely unavailable in the UK right now.

Not sure that abstracts will go down well.

Pit looks good, very cheap also, might get it regardless!

Just noticed that Pandemic is only 4 player, which is probably a nail in the coffin on this occasion, combined with the previously mentioned concerns. But Flash Point is good for 6 I see... any thoughts on that?

7 Wonders is one I'm very interested in, good call. What is the complexity like? Is it easy to pick up compared to... say... Ticket to Ride, for example?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 7 Wonders, everyone has a hand of cards. You choose one, and pass the rest. You choose a card from your new cards, and pass the rest. Red cards are military, if you have more shields than your neighbor, you get positive points, if you have less, you get a token for -1 point. Blue cards show VP on them. Green cards work together to score points. Yellow cards let you buy things more cheaply or give you money and/or points. Purple cards come at the end and help you to score points. You can also build levels of your wonder (bottom edge of playing board) by putting a card face down.

Most cards have a building costs in the upper left (some have a card name so that if you've built the previous card, you can build it for free). The first round or two, you'll want to play wood, bricks, etc. so that you can build later cards. You can also buy materials from your neighbors.

It's in the neighborhood of Settlers complexity, without the downtime. TTR is a bit easier than either.

With the expansion, Pandemic plays 5. Flash Point is very well done, has basic as well as advanced rules, so could be a good choice if you're looking at a coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Settlers of Catan might be fun as well as Ticket to Ride.

A co-op like pandemic can work, but not everyone will get how that's a game, if they aren't used to the idea.
Settlers is a terrible idea for non gamers. Far too much stuff that can go pear shaped to be a good gateway game.

TtR is very easy to get into, and would be my standard recommendation for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Ticket to Ride, I was thinking of trying that one myself.

Because I too have been subject to Cranium (also Apples to Apples) for a decade or so.

And actually, I found out over Thanksgiving that my new stepbrother and his wife actually like gaming a bit - they've played Settlers, for example. So I was trying to think of what to bring to Christmas that would appeal to us plus the non-gamers present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Staines-upon-Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
It looks like Ticket to Ride is the safest bet, thanks for the input folks.

I think it's the kid in me who wanted to drive fire engines that is giving Flash Point a seemingly irresistible pull right now... But I think TtR is probably the better choice. Unless I crumble and get both of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is great, fun, and light.
7 Wonders good large group game a bit heavier than TTR.
Pandemic is good co-op.
Also you should check out Red Novemberanother co-op but a fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a good choice to play with "noobs".

Definite no to Settlers. Get Bohnanza instead: all the fun trading from Settlers made into it's own game.

7 Wonders is pretty simple to play but explaining all those symbols up front will take some time and might intimidate some folks.

Flash Point arguably has an even more family friendly theme than Pandemic. It also supports more players and lets you not only tune the difficulty (as Pandemic does) but also the complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro of the Seas is available in the UK.
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/tsuro-of-the-seas-13479-p.asp

I haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne has been my go to for a while now. It's cheap and creative, and also fun for gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Staines-upon-Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Tsuro of the Seas is available in the UK.
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/tsuro-of-the-seas-13479-p.asp

I haven't played it yet.

Out of stock, as seems to be the case everywhere.

Shame, I would buy it just for the prettiness and speed of play, I think.

Carcassonne is perhaps a slightly slower paced game than I think a somewhat boisterous family would want at Christmas...? Never played it, so I don't know. But is certainly worth considering, especially considering the price. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit 7 is good for non-gamers, and takes into account that not everyone, at every age, will know the answers, in fact, if you can answer ½ the questions correctly, good on you!

I introduced this to my non-gaming family (ages 30-65) a few years ago, and they all enjoyed it, so much so that one of the old members bought a copy to give to his brother for Christmas.

My wife has even created a "house-rule". Once per game she must answer one question with "1Million".
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, wasn't out of stock there when I checked before I posted.

Try this then:
http://www.travellingman.com/product/42912/TSURO_OF_THE_SEAS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.