6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: If you have a new board game ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cesar Vicente
Philippines
flag msg tools
If you have a new word game recently copyrighted which is a strong contender of the game Scrabble, what would you do with it? Would you manage yourself its production or find a Company to do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a company. As you have no distribution system, you'll end up with a stack of games in your bedroom and an empty bank account.

Although I doubt that a new word game will find a publisher ... but, you never know!

Another alternative would be Kickstarter or IndieGoGo. But that would mean a lot of work for you!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Aconexz wrote:
recently copyrighted

This is a deal killer.

Most companies will not want to tangle in the legal nightmare that is a designer copyrighting their own game.

You've almost forced yourself to take the self production route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Aconexz wrote:
recently copyrighted

This is a deal killer.

Most companies will not want to tangle in the legal nightmare that is a designer copyrighting their own game.

I don’t bother registering my copyrights because it is cumbersome, expensive and everything is considered copyrighted as soon as you write it anyway. Yet I don't see why proving ownership should be a deal breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Aconexz wrote:
recently copyrighted

This is a deal killer.

I don’t bother registering my copyrights because it is cumbersome, expensive and everything is considered copyrighted as soon as you write it anyway. Yet I don't see why proving ownership should be a deal breaker.

The "everything is considered copyrighted as soon as you write it" is an urban myth. It doesn't quite work that way when it comes to publishing.

For a publisher to publish an item, they want to hold a copyright. Which means they have to have ownership of it transferred. Which means there's an additional step and cost in publishing. Margins are thin enough already.

Another real problem is the perception. Only first time and new designers ever get copyrights. It shows a lack of trust in the parties you are dealing with and holds up a giant red flag yelling "I'm New And Inexperienced And Will Create Problems".

I've been with more than one publisher (huge big box and tiny guys) reviewing games for publication, and if there's anything like a copyright already on it, it is IMMEDIATELY sent back without being read. No one wants to touch it. Even still, you get the inevitable "I designed that game 6 years ago and sent it to you, and you stole it" letters.

The problem is, true or not, there's the perception that if you're paranoid enough to get the copyright, you're also paranoid enough to jump for lawyers every time a game that uses the same colored die comes out.

If you see a ball player who hits a line drive every at bat, but then asks which direction to run, you think twice about putting him on your team.

Having a copyright in place is a sign that things will not go smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that copyright laws vary considerably by country. What was suggested (US law) may not apply to the original poster. For example in my country on CANNOT sell/loose copyright at all. You did it you have automatic copyright (except when done as an innovation while working). You can sell distribution rights however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.