Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, this is my first forum post so if it's in the wrong place I apologize, and please move it.

I'm going on a trip in a few weeks and will have close to a month of downtime, AWAY from my game collection. I would love to bring my entire collection, but obviously this isn't going to open. Normally I've driven and been able to load my trunk with games, but this time I'm taking a train so space will be limited. I can probably get away with an average sized luggage almost solely for the games, but that won't hold many boxes. I've seen advice on here to do away with the boxes and pack everything in plastic baggies. This sounds like the best idea but I'm worried about game boards being bent, etc. I'm hoping to bring games like

Arkham Horror (this one I'm worried about, with so many cards)
Runebound
King of Tokyo
Talisman
etc.

Is there a smart way to go about this? I have some time to prepare, but I'm hoping to not spend a lot of extra money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use firm plastic boxes and cram only the cards and the pawns into it. If possible (if money isn't an issue), make color copies of the boards and fold them as often as needed. Or leave the board games at home and bring card games. Even Dominion works fine!

Save travels meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repack to smaller boxes

I travel with games quite often. Currently my setup is two boxes of Carcassonne: The Tower. I fit Dominion (Base + Intrigue) into one of them and a really big Carcassonne set (approx 200 tiles + various other pieces) into the second. I save a bit of space by only taking pieces for two players as I don't need more, but to take more I'd just need one extra small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
In January I flew to a gaming convention and wanted to take a few games with me.

I took Nuclear War, Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, Um Reifenbreite and Mississippi Queen by taking them all out of there boxes and putting the Nuke War cards in a 'Magic Deck' card holder and everything else in one of those big plastic bags that FFG when packing boards or large sheets of (unpunched) tokens. Then it fit nicely into my carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I repack games into 1 gallon ziplocks and sandwich them between clothing in my checked luggage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
This is precisely why I was hoping

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286842883/the-keep-syst...

would get fully funded!! Won't help you this year, but keep it in mind for when they will hopefully re-launch in January!!

This summer I packed my games in with my clothes in my suitcase. Boards in one section, and I put all of the cards and pieces in separate baggies, then all baggies in a bigger ziploc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a lot of people use scrapbooking cases.....it has rooms for boards and various other sizes. Look at them. also if you know someone in the nursing field that works at a nursing home ask for their iv supply bags. The are HUGE ziplock bags that can easily hold game boards. I use them to keep my game boards from getting damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mail them to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I use a generic travel cosmetic case, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-Grooming-Travel-O...

I keep the cards together with some Hugo's amazing tape, and put the bits and pieces in ziplock bags.

I'm thinking of buying some kind of folder with a zipper on it to keep a few game boards in, if I can find one large enough, similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Academic-Expanding-13-Pockets-9587...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greyfedora
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I get these at The Container Store for all my games. They are fantastic. Different sizes for single and double decks of cards. The cylinders are actually pill containers, that screw onto each other. I keep each players' pieces and the game board pieces divided up in them and just unscrew them and hand them out. Smallworld races are in the multi pill box, which is a lot easier to get out of than the box. I usually keep about 15 games in a big bin in my car without the cardboard boxes because we rarely play at my house so these have come in real handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Js Pan
Singapore
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/879904/how-do-you-organi...

Check this out. This is what I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All very good options, thank you all! I already organize my small bits into plano boxes, so I'm mostly worried about cards and the mainly the boards. I shopped around locally and found some hard plastic storage boxes that I THINK will fit the boards (I need to measure my boards then go back and check). If I can stack the boards in a box like that, perhaps wrapped in cloth to protect the corners, then put the decks of cards in ziplock bags on top. The plano boxes can go beside the larger storage box in my luggage, with my clothes all around to keep them from bouncing around. This seems like a pretty solid amalgam of all the great advice in this thread.

I looked at the Hugo's magic tape and definitely want to pick some up, but I don't think it would arrive before I leave so it will have to wait. Maybe when I get back I will order a bunch to do all my games in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I ordered the 2" Hugo's Amazing Tape from Amazon, with Prime shipping it arrived in two days. If you need something in a hurry, bondage tape from a local adult novelty store would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
If possible (if money isn't an issue), make color copies of the boards and fold them as often as needed.

Man, this is such a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.