Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I got my one coworker to play a few games with me... He really likes mastermind and Black box. I am hoping someone out there can suggest a game that is very similar, that one person sets up a sequence or layout and they other has to figure it out in the shortest amout of time. Mastermind is very fun but can only be played so much, and black box was getting too easy so I got black box + and that is great. But Im just looking for a new game that would be very similar... any help is appreciated!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutton is the first game that comes to my mind.

Further, there is Coda, where both players have there "secret sequence" and try to fin out the the others sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Deduction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your suggestions.. Mutton looks like it would be good.. any idea on how to get ahold of a copy.. not on bgg marketplace, ebay and only one copy for trade abroad! =(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelia102881 wrote:
Thank you both for your suggestions.. Mutton looks like it would be good.. any idea on how to get ahold of a copy.. not on bgg marketplace, ebay and only one copy for trade abroad! =(
Nestorgames website: http://www.nestorgames.com/

Warning. Visiting the nestorgames website may be detrimental to the health of your wallet.

There is also a PnP version of Mutton on the game page.

Look at Black Vienna, which is not strictly mastermind lie in the mechanics, but uses deduction in a similar way. Hard to find the original, but again there is a very nice PnP version on the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War? It's a deduction game with a bit more theme to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and the other game you absolutely must consider is Zendo. It is, however, inductive rather than deductive reasoning. You can play Zendo with lots of different things (there are games run on here using pictures, for example) but the original Looney Pyramids are probably best. Finding a copy of Zendo is very difficult. Pulling together the bits you need to play it, is straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at Code 777 and Hanabi.
In 777, you're trying to break your code before your opponent does.
Hanabi is a cooperative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zone X is said to be similar to Mastermind. I have a copy but have never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace's new P.I. is basically Mastermind with a theme (he himself refers to it as Mastermind meets Clue, but I don't really the Clue influence myself). The mechanics work a little differently than Mastermind. Different-enough that it should add some new challenge to the same idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.