Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have the base game with 'Intrigue' Seaside' 'Prosperity'. When using the randomiser cards or which ever way you choose the 10 decks to use, how often does it happen that the cards that are chosen make for an uninteresting game. If this is regular, can the randomiser cards be sorted into certain groups so that you can draw cards that will make for a challenging game.
I suppose what I'm trying to ask, but making a long job of it is: Are there certain card groups that will work better or does randomising work most of the time.
Sorry for waffling on!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have the base game with 'Intrigue' Seaside' 'Prosperity'. When using the randomiser cards or which ever way you choose the 10 decks to use, how often does it happen that the cards that are chosen make for an uninteresting game. If this is regular, can the randomiser cards be sorted into certain groups so that you can draw cards that will make for a challenging game.
I suppose what I'm trying to ask, but making a long job of it is: Are there certain card groups that will work better or does randomising work most of the time.
Sorry for waffling on!!!

My experience is that there's a higher 'hit rate' of interesting combinations if you combine cards from the same expansions. Thus, I used an iphone app (dominionizer) to select 10 random cards across three expansions.

It doesn't seem to have been updated for Dark Ages, and I haven't really looked for an alternative yet since my other dominion sets are far away at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently bought for the grand price of about £0.69 or thereabouts ... D-Vault for my Iphone and it's just the ticket.

It includes all the expansions and has some nice features ...such as select your 10 cards then save them if they look like a good set ... I've got about 20 sets still to play .. once we've played the saved set, we delete it.

It also handles Young Witch Bane Card selection ... also if you don't like a particular card ... just remove it and it'll replace it with another one.

You also have settings to guarantee some protection against attack ... and/or +actions cards ... +buy cards etc ...

Or ... you could use http://www.hiwiller.com/dominion/ on your PC ... also really good. You can use it via iphone when logging on to internet etc.

Good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
I've recently bought for the grand price of about £0.69 or thereabouts ... D-Vault for my Iphone and it's just the ticket.

That's what I've been using to randomize my dark ages sets. It doesn't seem to allow for the 'select from only X randomly chosen expansions' logic though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomizing can work, but if you have access to the internet or a smart phone, you may want to look at the online Dominion randomizer or get an app for your phone. I have a Windows Phone (I know, in the minority and missing some of the great adaptations). There's a great app for Dominion called "Dominion Picker" for that platform - free or really cheap. Android has RanDominion (I think that's the name).

All of those allow for some options in choosing the cards and many allow swapping out a card if you just don't like/want that one. Sometimes you get a set that just doesn't work well and you're stuck trying to figure out the best way to win/end the game. Sometimes the set works out great with one or two combinations. The main benefit in using an app is that it's a lot faster than working with all of those cards and you can generally pick your expansion sets/options pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
Android has RanDominion (I think that's the name).

There may be one of that name, but Dominion Shuffle is my randomiser of choice for Android. It can also choose cards then launch Androminion, the free unlicensed game to play against AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We usually randomize and give each person one veto and sometimes one hold. In otherwords, each player can insist that a card cannot be vetoed then we can veto and redraw any that look like a card that no one will buy or even one that is a bit trumpy looking.

Things usually work out really well.... usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
paschott wrote:
Android has RanDominion (I think that's the name).

There may be one of that name, but Dominion Shuffle is my randomiser of choice for Android. It can also choose cards then launch Androminion, the free unlicensed game to play against AI.

I think I was mixing my app names. That was the one I was trying to remember. I use my WP more often than my Android device.

I know there's a website for this as well, or at least there used to be. Can't speak for its quality, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have programmed an Excel spreadsheet that will randomise a selection of cards from one main set plus two subsidiary ones. All done with lookup tables and concatenate.

Apps? What're they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This app for chrome users has all kinds of different min/max settings and it works offline.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dominion-kingdom-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://inprogressgaming.com/dominion-card-picker/ - this randomiser has many options that allow you to pick random sets but under some additional conditions - pick whatever you think leads to more interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
This app for chrome users has all kinds of different min/max settings and it works offline.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dominion-kingdom-b...

This is a really good app, I've used it for quite a while now.

If only it had support the for way Goko breaks down the expansions into tiny little expensive bits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.