Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One crucial factor of this type of game is the creation of a believable universe like that of Star Fleet Battles with factions and stories of why they fight. It seems this game lacks the appeal of a rich universe with details. Would the gameplay becomes hollow after a while? I don't mind bookkeeping game ( especially all things happen on the ship card) but I don't want to play the game just for the sake of a play. I really need something to spice it up like with a purpose. Is there any place I can turn to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya Lawrence!

Officially there is only the background in the introduction of the revised rules

However I did submit some ideas to the designer for the future of the series back in the Freedom Kickstarter.
I'll post them here in the hopes that it generates more interest in players creating their own backstory.

Keep in mind THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, just my ideas.

There would be 4 products with a total of 6 playable factions.

Enjoy!

-Michael

d10-0Imperial Crusade
is a tactical space combat game that uses plastic cards made of the same material as credit cards to represent each ship on the tabletop.

These cards have ship stats printed on them so that everything that happens during a battle can be tracked directly on the card with a dry erase pen.
These cards are moved around the table like a miniature and everything is recorded directly on them.
Battles between a few ships can be played in a couple of minutes or massive fleet battles can be played in about an hour.

Imperial Crusade: Core Rules explain how the game system works and gives players background information on the major factions and conflicts in the universe.

The universe of Imperial Crusade is vast and conflict lurks around every star cluster.
Different box sets will allow players to take part in the various conflicts between factions in the Imperial Crusade setting.

Every box set in the Imperial Crusade series will include the Core Rules and a Sourcebook detailing the new factions, ships, weapons, abilities, tactics and settings specific to that part of the universal struggle for dominance and survival. The box sets will also include ship cards, a dry erase marker, a die and necessary tokens.

Mission supplements detailing different scenarios for each box set will be available to download from jengames.com

Every set is compatible with every other set in the Imperial Crusade universe allowing players to try out battles between any factions in the game.

d10-1Imperial Crusade: ARMADA
- The Imperium Fights For Conquest
- The Star Republic Fights For Freedom
- Only One Can Win

Humanity has spread to the stars, but most of the populated worlds have been dominated by the mighty Imperium (insert Imperium vs Republic background here)

Imperial Crusade: ARMADA box set contains:

-Imperial Crusade: Core Rules
-Imperial Crusade: ARMADA Sourcebook
-40 Plastic ship cards
-Dry erase pen
-One ten-sided die
-40 Tokens

d10-2Imperial Crusade: FREEDOM
- The Nomadic Outland Alliance Flees The Imperium To Unknown Space
- The Free Trade Coalition Migrates To The Same Region
- There Are Very Few Resources To Claim
- Only One Faction Can Survive

Two major independent human empires exist in this vast expanse of space, the Outland Alliance and the Free Trade Coalition. Both of these nomadic empires are constantly on the move (insert Alliance vs Coalition background here)

Imperial Crusade: FREEDOM contains:

-Imperial Crusade: FREEDOM Sourcebook
-40 Plastic ship cards
-Dry erase pen
-One ten-sided die
-60 Tokens

d10-3Imperial Crusade: INVASION
- The Mysterious Zytor Machine-Ships Are Ravaging Imperial Space
- Stretched Thin The Imperium Hires The Mercator Faction To Combat The Threat
- It Is Impossible To Predict The Soulless Zytor's Actions
- Will The Mercator's Mercenaries And Raiders Be Enough To Stop The Machine-Ships?

Insert Zytor vs Mercator background here)
Zytor ships could have abilities/tactics related to random factors, as in "Random Movement Tactic 10points - Roll 1D10. On a 1 do nothing. 2-8 Move all Zytor ships/tokens up to 3inches towards enemy ships. 9-10 Move all Zytor ships 3inches towards the Zytor starting area (or something random-ish)
Mercator ships would be Mercenaries and Raiders so would have lots of fast, smaller ships similar to the Imperium but with more stealth/sneak attack abilities/tactics

Imperial Crusade: INVASION contains:

-Imperial Crusade: INVASION Sourcebook
-40 Plastic ship cards
-Dry erase pen
-One ten-sided die
-60 Tokens

d10-4Imperial Crusade: ALIENS
- The Invading Alien Species, The K'Talus Regime And Their Zytor Machine-Ships Threaten The Whole Universe
- Only By Combining Forces Can The Warring Factions Hope To Survive
- Will The Newly Formed Combine Save The Universe From The Alien Threat?

(Insert K'Talus vs Combine background here. Basically the K'Talus sends in their machine ships to soften up the enemy and gain intelligence then move in to conquer)
The 5 previous enemies Imperium, Republic, Alliance, Coalition and Mercator Factions all are now temporarily allied under the faction name Combine. Combine Faction ship cards, abilities and tactics are a mixture of previous abilities from all 5 factions plus a few new ones more powerful than the previous ones.
K'Talus Faction has ships,abilities and tactics that are from the Zytor Faction plus new ones several of which are more powerful than any previously seen. The idea is that one player will play the K'Talus and the other players the Combine with 50% greater fleet points to build with.
Perhaps for this release you can try something new - One ship card for say, ALIEN HIVE with a normal ship card but with a VERY small ship image, maybe 1/2 size which will leave room for the huge number of boxes and weapons on the Hive Ship. The difference is that THIS ship card remains in front of the K'Talus player off the game board. You use a SECOND ship card for the HIVE SHIP with no boxes or weapons, just a HUGE image taking up the entire card and the name/faction

Imperial Crusade: ALIENS contains:

-Imperial Crusade: ALIENS Sourcebook
-36 Plastic ship cards
-One Alien Hive ship card
-Dry erase pen
-One ten-sided die
-60 Tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your ideas. the only thing I would change is the Hive Ship. Since all of the other expansions would be 40 ship cards, and this one is only 36, I say make those last 4 cards into quadrants of one huge mothership. Put the 4 cards together to form one massive ship. They could be double sided with alternate weapon layouts and points for each part of the ship to allow for some customization. It would make for some interesting scenarios in the very least.

I loved the Station card that came with Freedom. I wish there were more things like that. Some dual card ships would add a whole new layer to the game. truly fearsome but extremely unmaneuverable weapon platforms! I may have to make my own custom ones now, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it!
Photoshop, printer, card stock. Then sleeve and write on the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.