Hide
4 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chaplain & Schoolmaster activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Fruchnich
msg tools
Am I right if I say that these cards are activated when one of the "Family Growth" action spaces (round 5-7, round 12-13 and in 5er the combination field) is used and when Lover or Wet Nurse is played? It is not activated when a Reed Hut is played, because that's not a Family Growth.

Chaplain: Whenever another player uses a "Family growth" action, you may immediately afterward place a person out of turn.

Schoolmaster: Whenever another player uses a "Family growth" action, they must first pay you 1/2 Food if they have 2-5/6+ Food markers in their personal supply.

Lover: When you play this card, immediately carry out a "Family growth even without room" action (Similar to the Round card from Stage 5). Playing this card costs you an additional 4 Food.

Wet Nurse: Whenever you Build room(s), you may grow your family by up to the number of rooms that you build. This costs 1 Food per person. (The newborns are only available to take actions in the next round.)

Reed Hut: Place one Family member token that you have not yet brought into the game onto this card, where it will live for the rest of the game. It can be used to take actions (starting from the round when you play this card) and must be fed, but it is not worth any points while living in the Reed Hut. (You can move this person into your home later, using a "Family growth" action.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on those card texts it doesn't work with Wet Nurse as it's not a growth action just growth of your family.

Your interpretation is in line with the compendium although both accounts are based just on Eugene's initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lover specifically mentions a 'family growth...action', whereas the Wet Nurse does not. My gut instinct (ragardless of the compendium) is that the intention was only to use the Chaplain/Schoolmaster when a family member was placed on that action space, with maybe the Lover as a one-off extra.

I'd be interested in an Uwe/Hanno ruling here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're probably right. The Reed Hut definitely does not trigger anything, because you aren't growing your family (the reed hut guy is not even a family member). Lover says it's a family growth action. Wet Nurse doesn't say it is, but I think it's probably intended to be a series of family growth actions. The wording is just awkward because you can do it multiple times.

IMO, if you use Wet Nurse to grow two family members in one action, that would actually count as two family growth actions, and would trigger cards like the schoolmaster twice. Kind of like if you used a card like Gollum or Diplomat to actually use an action space two times by placing one guy on it. Each activation counts as a separate action, so related cards would trigger twice. I've no authority for that interpretation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.