Subject: Zombies and Doors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Carr
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of creating a stupid scenario, but I want some answers on it, and I'm hoping people can help. Let's say that at the beginning of the game, your group decides to mill about and move back and forth inside the house so they can attempt to search a bunch and build up an inventory because leaving the rooms and exploring the world. As zombies spawn, and move toward the group, yet there are no open doors, what to do the zombies do? I know this is a ridiculous scenario, but it is something that has almost happened in my play group, and having an answer would be awesome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
What do zombies do if the shortest route is through a closed door? Do they go around or wait outside the door...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is no open route zombies move as if the doors do not exist, but stop when they reach a door blocking their path.

As soon as there is an open path zombies take that route, even if there is a shorter route via a closed door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carr
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on this is that it wouldn't be a shorter route then, as there is no way for the zombies to move beyond that door. They cannot open doors then, I take it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

The only time this matters is when either the survivors or the zombies are in an un-opened building - then you use the 'shortest path ignoring doors' rule, at all other times, they take whatever route take them to the survivors (or, rather, the noisiest zone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carr
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
If there is no open route zombies move as if the doors do not exist, but stop when they reach a door blocking their path.

I'm going to be completely honest and say that this doesn't make any sense to be. If they act as if there are no doors, yet stop when there is a door, they aren't acting as if there aren't any door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are choosing their path as if there were no doors, but once they move, closed doors still block them. Basically they can hear the sound inside the building (or outside, in the reverse situation), so seeing as this is the only thing attracting them, they move towards it and just scratch at the locked door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carr
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense now. Thank you good sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pecarr wrote:
.....your group decides to mill about and move back and forth inside the house so they can attempt to search a bunch and build up an inventory because leaving the rooms and exploring the world. As zombies spawn, and move toward the group, yet there are no open doors, what to do the zombies do?

Basically, you end up with a huge mass of zombies waiting outside the door for it to open. If our heroes spend too long searching for goodies, there is the chance they will be overwhelmed when they finally open the door.

Either that or one of them jumps straight to red when they molotov the crowd outside! But you'll still have a long string of zombies running from each spawn point to the space that just got fried, so chances are all the escape routes will be blocked off completely, with far more zombies piling in every turn.

Never a good idea to wait indoors too long once the zombies know you're there.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the zombies can't see or hear anything? Where do they go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How can they not hear anything? Unless all the Survivors in the game are using the Ninja skill, Zombies can always hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're designing a scenario where it might be likely to have zombies milling about outside behind closed doors, you could probably introduce some "custom" door-breaking-down rules to compensate, and force your survivors to get out of there earlier. I'd suggested one potential way to do it over here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/854310/potential-house-rules...

I have yet to actually try it out, might be fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.