Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if an official Dominion App for iphones/ipods will ever be released? I have the "unofficial" app on my iPod from early in the year, before it was removed from the app store, but am anxious to have the official release with expansions, as has been promised for months and months now as 'coming soon"....

I LOVE the unofficial Dominion App, as it plays so well and intuitively... does anyone know what the hold-up is for the official version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Snotwalker wrote:
does anyone know what the hold-up is for the official version?

Development company incompetence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, it was playable on the Nexus 7.

Now they updated the site to tell you you can't play using a mobile device.

Ok, so I just set Chrome on Android to send the desktop USER-AGENT header(some text on the request to tell the server what browser you're using). And I can get in.

But they changed the way it sizes the game. And it's too big. No big deal, i could pinch zoom and resize. Except that they also changed the touch event code so that it ignores your attempts to resize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

Ok, so I just set Chrome on Android to send the desktop USER-AGENT header(some text on the request to tell the server what browser you're using). And I can get in.

But they changed the way it sizes the game. And it's too big. No big deal, i could pinch zoom and resize. Except that they also changed the touch event code so that it ignores your attempts to resize.

The hoops you jumped through seem like a small step from most of their solutions to any technical problems they have.

Oh our game doesn't work? Well, you have to open a new tab every time you start a game and close the old one, and switch browsers, and downgrade back to an older version of Chrome, it's their fault for releasing an update...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"New Official Dominion App released.... ever?...."

At this point, I'm leaning towards "ever"

Anybody wanna start a BGG pool on when this thread gets moved to Dominion Online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
"New Official Dominion App released.... ever?...."

At this point, I'm leaning towards "ever"

Anybody wanna start a BGG pool on when this thread gets moved to Dominion Online

At this point ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pojo nono
msg tools
Snotwalker wrote:
Does anyone know if an official Dominion App for iphones/ipods will ever be released? I have the "unofficial" app on my iPod from early in the year, before it was removed from the app store, but am anxious to have the official release with expansions, as has been promised for months and months now as 'coming soon"....

I LOVE the unofficial Dominion App, as it plays so well and intuitively... does anyone know what the hold-up is for the official version?

Goko.com Dominion's version of Digg 4.0. It is a product noone wanted, noone would have asked for, and everyone would have done differently. When it released, these boards were flooded with flavorful disucssuions on just how awful the company/beta was. Since then, BGG has diverted all attention away from here, deflecting all criticism into a corner of the internet where noone looks.

We've been told contracts were signed, supposedly at 5years, so most of us gave up hope that any quality Dominion digital product will be released within that time frame.

Also, Goko owns the digital rights, so apparently no other digital version can exist in that time period. In other words, we're all f!#ked..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pojo007 wrote:
Goko.com Dominion's version of Digg 4.0. It is a product noone wanted, noone would have asked for, and everyone would have done differently. When it released, these boards were flooded with flavorful disucssuions on just how awful the company/beta was. Since then, BGG has diverted all attention away from here, deflecting all criticism into a corner of the internet where noone looks.

We've been told contracts were signed, supposedly at 5years, so most of us gave up hope that any quality Dominion digital product will be released within that time frame.

Also, Goko owns the digital rights, so apparently no other digital version can exist in that time period. In other words, we're all f!#ked..

"Noone" is not a word. "No one" is acceptable, as is "no-one". "Nobody" is preferred, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
pojo007 wrote:
Snotwalker wrote:

A quick note is that DXV has multiple times stated that RGG's contract with Goko cannot meaningfully extend beyond the length of DXV's contract with RGG, and it sounds like RGG only has DXV's Dominion rights for another 2-3 years (IIRC).

Not a lawyer, haven't seen the contracts, just second hand info from DXV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pojo nono
msg tools
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

"Noone" is not a word. "No one" is acceptable, as is "no-one". "Nobody" is preferred, I believe.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread. Your ability to point out my spelling mistake has made this thread a life changing event for me. I am forever in your debt, and cannot possibly think of a way to show my appreciation. You are clearly a gentleman and a scholar, and every member here can learn from your class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pojo nono
msg tools
pinkymadigan wrote:
pojo007 wrote:
Snotwalker wrote:

A quick note is that DXV has multiple times stated that RGG's contract with Goko cannot meaningfully extend beyond the length of DXV's contract with RGG, and it sounds like RGG only has DXV's Dominion rights for another 2-3 years (IIRC).

Not a lawyer, haven't seen the contracts, just second hand info from DXV.

Very true, I forgot he had made mention of that. I think the confusion was that a report earlier stated that Goko was seeking 5 year contracts, which led many of us to believe Dominion fell under the same umbrella. DXV did squash that by stating it can't run past his contract with RGG. Thank God.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:

Tell that to this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Noone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
monteslu wrote:

The hoops you jumped through seem like a small step from most of their solutions to any technical problems they have.

Oh our game doesn't work? Well, you have to open a new tab every time you start a game and close the old one, and switch browsers, and downgrade back to an older version of Chrome, it's their fault for releasing an update...

And then suddenly developing an html 5 web version of a digital boardgame doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore, now does it? :P At least major iOS updates are only yearly and developers have 6 months to prepare for them. Meanwhile I bought and enjoy Kingdom Builder on my ipad instead. At least one Donald X V game can be enjoyed on my ipad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
monteslu wrote:

And then suddenly developing an html 5 web version of a digital boardgame doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore, now does it? At least major iOS updates are only yearly and developers have 6 months to prepare for them. Meanwhile I bought and enjoy Kingdom Builder on my ipad instead. At least one Donald X V game can be enjoyed on my ipad...

Sure, if you're not able to QA on unsupported devices first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pojo007 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

Thank you for your contribution to the thread. Your ability to point out my spelling mistake has made this thread a life changing event for me. I am forever in your debt, and cannot possibly think of a way to show my appreciation. You are clearly a gentleman and a scholar, and every member here can learn from your class.

Sorry man, I'm with Footnote on this one. If he didn't point out the mistake, would you even think twice the next time you go to write "no one"? You probably would have gone on making the same mistake until someone else called you on it, and probably in a harsher manner.

It sucks being called out, but that's one of the best ways to learn. He did it in a matter-of-fact manner, and didn't call you names for it or anything. We all make mistakes, I'd rather I was corrected early than not at all.

EDIT: back on topic: yeah, HTML5 still seems to be the root of the problem, as I see it. I'm mostly a Winforms and SQL developer myself, so I'd be hard pressed to judge, but it seems like HTML5 is a bad choice for graphically intense web apps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
pojo007 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

Sorry man, I'm with Footnote on this one. If he didn't point out the mistake, would you even think twice the next time you go to write "no one"? You probably would have gone on making the same mistake until someone else called you on it, and probably in a harsher manner.

It sucks being called out, but that's one of the best ways to learn. He did it in a matter-of-fact manner, and didn't call you names for it or anything. We all make mistakes, I'd rather I was corrected early than not at all.

EDIT: back on topic: yeah, HTML5 still seems to be the root of the problem, as I see it. I'm mostly a Winforms and SQL developer myself, so I'd be hard pressed to judge, but it seems like HTML5 is a bad choice for graphically intense web apps.

I see the problem as development mistakes and some bad decisions. The tech itself is fine for boardgames if done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
pojo007 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

I see the problem as development mistakes and some bad decisions. The tech itself is fine for boardgames if done right.

It seems that your bar is lower than that of many here.

We aspire for a smooth experience, one which I haven't been able to see yet implemented on a web-based environment.

Again, point me to such an implementation, and I'll happily check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

We aspire for a smooth experience, one which I haven't been able to see yet implemented on a web-based environment.

I had to break the tunnel. Are there good HTML5 board game implementations? I would actually like to see them, as while I assume some poor design choices were made, I can't always definitively say that, not knowing the tech that well.

I guess an alternative is I could learn HTML5. *raspberrys*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
pojo007 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

yucata, isotropic, and others.

HTML5 is just enhancements to existing open standards, not a completely new thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
teg2 wrote:
monteslu wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
pojo007 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
pojo007 wrote:

yucata, isotropic, and others.

HTML5 is just enhancements to existing open standards, not a completely new thing.

As much as I respect and appreciate the work done behind yucata and isotropic, these are not as smooth and polished as they could be, where they native applications.

Isotropic is functional, yes, but well behind the curve. All considered, I would take it over goko, no doubt about it.

Yucata is a different story, it is really quite impressive what Sparhawk has done there, no questions about it. Still, not quite to the level I would expect for a digital implementation of a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:

As much as I respect and appreciate the work done behind yucata and isotropic, these are not as smooth and polished as they could be, where they native applications.

Isotropic is functional, yes, but well behind the curve. All considered, I would take it over goko, no doubt about it.

Yucata is a different story, it is really quite impressive what Sparhawk has done there, no questions about it. Still, not quite to the level I would expect for a digital implementation of a boardgame.

There's at least a couple of talented developers there. I have no doubt that with a bit of time (and maybe money), they could tailor their existing code base to be playable on touch devices.

Of course it won't be the same as a native iOS or android app out the gate, but they wouldn't have to scrap their code base in favor of a legacy language. And they could improve it as mobile browsers improve. For example, iOS 6 supports low-latency AudioContext API. They could use that now, and it will start working on Android when chrome 24 is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.