Hide
11 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Most usefull mechanic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
first last
msg tools
After four games of Legendary no one in our group will pass up a card with the "Draw a card" mechanic.

We have also noticed that the "winner" of every game is the player lucky enough to be able to draft the most "Draw a card" cards.

Is the extra draw mechanic really this over powered or are we missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's strong as well. You just have to go with what's offered. I played a game with deadpool and black widow, the combo of passing out bystanders and then saving them to power up BW was the top mechanic in that game. I have played only 2 player games so usually one player tends to favor a hero and the other will allow that player to get a monoploy on 'their' player and since most of the cards in a single heroes pile work well together that can make powerful combos.
I think it just depends on what's available. From my experience deck manipulation (gambit) and drawing effects (best is a powered wolverine) are quite powerful, but each hero works well with themselves (which could be limited in larger games with 2-3 people fighting for control of a hero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you are following the rules correctly with regard to the class symbols. Most "Draw a card" effects require to have already played another card of the same color. Those that give a draw unconditioally usually provide little else.
I would suspect that if you are grabbing all of the draw a card that come up, you aren't getting enough color matches to actually use them.
Wolverine is the exception as he has a huge number of draw a card effects and they are all the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Seems to me that drawing extra cards in any deck-building game is pretty important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
I am sure we're following the rules correctly. Some of the card draw powers do require playing heroes with certain powers previously but when your drawing so many cards it doesn't seem to be that much of a concern. See Wolverine, Iron Man, and Emma Frost for the best examples of the card draw mechanics I am talking about...

I can give you some more detail on the game I am talking about. We play four player competitive games. In order to make it more fun we decided to let each person pick a hero and randomly add the fifth. After the second game people wanted to look through the hero cards, after which every game we played started with Iron Man, Emma Frost, Wolverine, Spider man, and some random hero.

The last game we played 2 players were lucky enough to recruit most of the "Draw a card" cards, while the other 2 were left to recruit the remaining versions of the heroes. From about the 4th round on the 2 lucky players were consistently playing more that half of their decks each turn and the other 2 players were playing 6 cards each turn. The card draw advantage allowed the 2 drawing players to have larger amounts of recruit points to recruit more card draw cards. (If your recruiting 3 people a round even if there is no draw a card mechanic available on your first recruit it may show up for the second or third recruits. While the 2 players without draw ability really needed to already have a draw a card available in the initial 5 cards.) Additionally the two players drawing a lot of cards had more attack power that let them attack any villain they wanted usually concentrating on multiple smaller villains especially the ones that let you KO cards (like the doom bot legion.) In the final tally for VPs 2 players were in the high thirties or forties while the other 2 players didn't even make it to 10.

We liked the idea of choosing the heroes we liked to play the game, but being competitive leads everyone to pick the heroes with Draw cards powers over heroes they really liked. Even the Heroes that require playing a card of a certain type before you can draw a card seems easy to accomplish when you have a deck of 25-30 cards from which you can draw 14-20 cards a round. You just play the cards in the most advantageous way you can which seems to be in the order that lets me draw the most cards. I thought that not having an attack or recruit power (see endless invention Iron Man and the Iron Man rare card) would balance out the card drawing effect. But when you draw so many cards a turn the recruit power and attack power seem to sort themselves out in the end quite effectively. One of the things I found most interesting was that people would recruit two heroes with draw power and waste 2 recruit points rather than recruit one hero with draw power and a second larger hero without draw power.

I think the power of the mechanic has changed how our group looks at playing the game. When given the choice of heroes we want the ones with card draw. If we played with totally random heroes, if there was a card draw ability people would recruit those cards over the ones that did not have that ability.

Don't get me wrong I love the theme of the game. Even with this one dominant mechanic the game is fun to play. Until we see expansions and new mechanics I am certain that this mechanic will dominate how the game is played, at least for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedickason wrote:
when you have a deck of 25-30 cards from which you can draw 14-20 cards a round.

In my experience, that is a very large deck. It sounds like your games are going longer than they "need" to, probably due to the relatively underpowered card-drawing cards. Assuming your card count is correct, the proper response should be to rush the mastermind with high fight-value cards. Next time, play with higher-powered heroes such as Hulk or Cyclops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are deliberately picking heroes with the best card draw abilities every game, and now you complain that the only good combos involve card draw abilities?
You will probably enjoy the game a lot more if you pick heroes randomly each game, as you will have to adapt and figure out effective combos depending on what's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone's going for the card draw, bring in and buy up the Hulk, Black Widow, or Thor, and play a different game than them. Sure, you won't be drawing in many extra cards, but if you focus on upping your buy ability, then grabbing their Rare abilities as soon as they pop up (especially Hulk or Thor) you should be able to tear through the villains much faster than the other players can. And if you can get a Black Widow/Spiderman deck going, especially with her three Uncommons, you'll be pulling out some absolutely ridiculous damage.
On the other hand, a pure Wolverine deck can be rather ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah it's sounds like you need stop picking your heroes and go random.
the more i hear about this game i can't wait to play it! should have it friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
...if you can get a Black Widow/Spiderman deck going, especially with her three Uncommons, you'll be pulling out some absolutely ridiculous damage.

I second this. Ree-diculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Draws are strong, but they aren't everything.

For instance, assuming you have 25 attack in a 30 card deck with 15 draw cards, adding another "+1 Attack, +1 Draw" card is actually weaker than adding a "+3 Attack" card... although adding another "+2 Attack, +2 Draw" card is only slightly weaker than adding a "+6 Attack card."

In any case, I'm not surprised that you are favoring draws given that setup. The only remotely heavy hitters in that lineup either rely on draw (Iron Man), or are unsupported (Emma Frost), or are rare (Wolverine, Emma Frost). If you add in Storm or Thor or Black Widow that should help round things out somewhat, but you should probably also drop some of those draw heavy heroes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.