Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to modern board gaming, although I've been playing some classics like chess and poker since forever. Right now, I'm building a collection of games based on online reviews and test drives with games belonging to veteran friends. The current favorite in my collection is RftG (with the first expansion, which I think is essential).

Puerto Rico has been on my wishlist. Last Sunday, I had the opportunity of trying it for the first time. One of the first things they teach you on Modern Board Games 101 is that PR was the inspiration behind RftG. Even knowing this, I was surprised at how closely the latter game mimics the former in terms of feel, rhythm, choices, and strategic paths. Proverbially, it scratches the same itch -- but in 30 minutes using a deck of cards and a few VP chips, instead of two hours and three hundred pieces. Plus Race's theme, for my taste, is immensely more interesting.

I liked PR -- how could I not? I would play it again anytime. But why should I buy it, if RftG delivers the same, with less?

I wonder if there are many former PR players out there who lost interest in the game after being presented to RftG. Are you one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, both still get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that RftG is probably the closest card game play experience to Puerto Rico mechanically and San Juan is the closest card game thematically. I could definitely see RftG replacing Puerto Rico for some people.

I, however, am not one of them. Puerto Rico stands 1vp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I love RFTG, but only as 2pa. With 3+, I'd rather play something else. Puerto Rico I prefer as a 4p game, so they both get played.

I have found RFTG's greater diversity of 'buildings' gives it much more replayability (for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They may look similar but they play very differently.
PR has a scripted opening with very little luck and little variety. In RFTG every game is different and there is a small but significant lyck element. I prefer the latter game. It helps that RTFG can be played in 30 min whereas PR might last 3 times as much.
Also PR can't be played by two (the 2p variant sucks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bazaar question.

This is like asking if my truck has made my dishwasher obsolete.

They are very different games and both very good.

Enjoy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both, but Race for the Galaxy is a '10' for me while Puerto Rico is an '8'. I am a person who doesn't particularly love careful planning in a low-variability environment, and this undoubtedly affects how I see these two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all! Both scratch a very different itch for me. Puerto rico is also far more accessible to most people. RFTG is a great game, but is more abstract. As a result of this, I find myself having alot of trouble getting people into it.

Both are excellent games worth owning and playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, RftG doesn't even come close to scratching the PR itch, so maybe I'm not the right person to answer your question.

PR has no hidden information (like hand cards), and very little randomness (only the plantation draw), making it more a game of careful planning. I would therefore call it the more strategic game, the RftG-fans will probably say PR is more predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
I wonder if there are many former PR players out there who lost interest in the game after being presented to RftG. Are you one of them?

No, not at all. They are very different games; they play very differently for me and my group, despite some obvious similarities (e.g. role selection).

d10-1PR is more accessible for new players, featuring very little in the way of complex iconography to learn. The RftG has iconography that can be daunting to new players, and as a result, has a bit steeper of a learning curve. But once mastered, is quite satisfying to play, I would say, an equal to Puerto Rico.

d10-2Roles are not selected simultaneously in PR, whereas in RftG they are. This makes for quite a different dynamic. You see this difference the most when you start to think about how best to "deny" someone a critical action or role, or at least minimize its effectiveness for an opponent.

d10-3 PR is a boardgame and has a boardgame feel. Race is a cardgame and has a cardgame feel. This is a pretty subjective criteria, and may be not obvious to some, but is apparent in my group.

d10-4 Race is over quicker, usually. Puerto Rico takes a bit longer to set up and plays in 1-1.5 hours, versus a 30-minute game of Race.

d10-5 I agree with the poster above that Race has slightly more randomness than PR, which has very very little. Although PR can go exceptionally wrong when everyone is experienced except for a solitary noob, who will often unwittingly give the person to his left a significant unfair advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PR is one of my first game, and i still love it even after i start playing RftG. both are on my top 3 list. well i dont really think they're that similar after all (unlike San Juan with RftG, very similar)

fameros wrote:
The current favorite in my collection is RftG (with the first expansion, which I think is essential).

totally agree with this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an iPad, get PR there. No setup time and it is a very good implementation.

PR is also a tad easier to get into. Our 8yo learned it easily and can now sometimes win. RFTG, he can play, but it was harder for him to learn and he still doesnt quite get everything. I think this has a lot to do with there being a fixed set of choices.

Also, since we play PR exclusively on the iPad, if we dont have much time, we pick PR (games are normally 20-30 min). If we have more time we pick RFTG.

I agree that the theme of RFTG is much more agreeable and I like the increased variety. Though there are times when I also appreciate that PR is much more of a "pure" strategy game--not much significant randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Unless I play with my partner. Or people that I'd need to reteach. So, for me yes, but not for many of the people I game with now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pfennighaus
United States
Croton-On-Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cover your heart!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the core mechanics are similar when you compare PR to the base RftG set. But as you start bolting on the expansions for RftG (which were planned before the base set was published), the games drift further apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My two cents...

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. PR didn't need any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
dkearns wrote:

Couldn't agree more. PR is completely eclipsed by RftG, a better game with more variety that plays in a shorter amount of time. It didn't help that I played RftG first and PR seemed like a dull knockoff with action denial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like most everyone else posting, RFTG hasn't made PR obsolete for me. But now you've played both and can make your own decision as to what you like best.

You've also mentioned that you are new to "modern board gaming" and are building a collection. In this case I think you probably could get by for now without owning both in order to try out more different types of games. But give PR another try in the future, there is a reason it's a much loved classic and the inspiration for many other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
speltor wrote:
I think you probably could get by for now without owning both in order to try out more different types of games. But give PR another try in the future, there is a reason it's a much loved classic and the inspiration for many other games.

This pretty much sums up my view: I am eager to play PR again; but there is enough overlap between the truck and the dishwasher (borrowing the image from a congenial poster above) for me to postpone acquiring the older classic.

As a side note, I was surprised by the number of posts on this thread; thank you all. They have highlighted for me important differences between the two games, such as degree of randomness and sequentiality versus simultaneity of role selection. (It even got me thinking of a RftG variant where all the deck would be open face up on the table and only one set of phase cards had to be shared by all the players, who would take their phases one after the other. I think I will call it Puerto Galaxy.)

EDIT: Minor correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
(It even got me thinking of a RftG variant where all the deck would be open face up on the table and only one set of phase cards had to be shared by all the players, who would take their phases one after the other. I think I will call it Puerto Galaxy.)

No, No! Surely it is Bugs Mr Rico, zillions of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
I think I will call it Puerto Galaxy.

Why not Race for the Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:

RftG = multiplayer solitaire
PR = multiplayer chess

I agree that RftG sets up ALOT quicker.... shuffling the cards is a pain, as is setting up the homeworlds and counting out the VP. However, in PR, u need to count out colonists, VP chips, AND stack the buildings correctly, which does end up taking more time

Also, I've seen RftG get compressed into a small-ish tuckbox. With PR's boards, it has a much larger storage/carry footprint.

I play RftG about once a month, and ALOT on Keldon's AI. I can play back to back games, or more if others are in the mood. My desire to play PR has been reduced to once every 3 to 6 months or so.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5240437#5240437
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7379896/rftg/index.html

I will say that the 10th anniv. edition of PR was a cheesy way to revitalize interest in the game, but it works. Speaking of which, PR is ugly by many standards. It's a perfectly functional game, but there's no art on any of the buuildings. They're just a monotone color, and what art IS available is merely adequate. While the 10th anniv. edition is gorgeous, has nice upgrades to components, and includes both exp... it's not an aples to apples comparison at $100 list price wow Speaking of which, I will also say that I much prefer RftG with all 3 exp + goals, but do play games with just exp #1 with newbies.

veenickz wrote:
PR is one of my first game, and i still love it even after i start playing RftG. both are on my top 3 list. well i dont really think they're that similar after all (unlike San Juan with RftG, very similar)

I'd argue the contrary... PR and Race have more similarities than Race and SJ.

PR and Race have a mechanic where you convert goods to VP. Granted, the Harbor (5/3)* in the SJ exp sorta does that, but 1), it's only 3 buidings in the deck... far too few to come out enough across alot of games and 2) you're getting cards AND VP out of it, which kinda changes things.
There are very solid reasons to produce corn/novelty goods over coffee/alien tech besides that the former pair are cheaper to build than the latter (blue goods have many VP consume powers specifically or generically for that color. Corn is VERY EASY to produce since it doesn't require a companion building). In SJ, there's only the Black Market.

Race and SJ are similar by virtue that they use the mechanic of cards as buildings, goods, or to pay for buildings, and all of the other similarities of card games therein.

For kicks and giggles, SJ and PR are similar mostly in theme, and much less so in gameplay.

* 5 cost/3 VP

stuartfinlay wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Couldn't agree more. PR is completely eclipsed by RftG, a better game with more variety that plays in a shorter amount of time. It didn't help that I played RftG first and PR seemed like a dull knockoff with action denial.
FWIW, I played PR first, then RftG. That didn't help either. I still prefer RftG.

looleypalooley wrote:
d10-3 PR is a boardgame and has a boardgame feel. Race is a cardgame and has a cardgame feel. This is a pretty subjective criteria, and may be not obvious to some, but is apparent in my group.
PR is barely a board game. You really don't need the boards. You could just lay out the buildings in columns of 4 to indicate the quarry discounts. This sort of sorting and organization works just fine in games without a board like Dominion. For the plantations/quarries, just form a tableau that goes up to 12 tiles. "Tableau" seems to be an ugly word for PR players, but include a board for RftG, and we wouldn't be calling that a "tableau" either. Same thing with the purchased buildings, keeping in mind that 10-cost buildings count as 2. The boards having role reminders is more prominent to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.