Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are enjoying the game but whats really came off as odd to everyone is that fighting the mastermind is pretty much always a reward. The Fight effects on the mastermind cards all seem to just help the players. This came as a big surprise in our first few games since lot of Fight effects on regular villains and henchmen do negative things to players. You would kind of figure that attacking the mastermind would have some consequences, but in various cases it's easier to attack him rather than some generic villain card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerKraken wrote:
We are enjoying the game but whats really came off as odd to everyone is that fighting the mastermind is pretty much always a reward. The Fight effects on the mastermind cards all seem to just help the players. This came as a big surprise in our first few games since lot of Fight effects on regular villains and henchmen do negative things to players. You would kind of figure that attacking the mastermind would have some consequences, but in various cases it's easier to attack him rather than some generic villain card.

I find most of the Fight effects to be positive things. KOing Heroes is usually a good thing. Giving wounds to other players is usually a good thing. Which fight effects are you seeing that are harmful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
I've only got the game yesterday (and so far had just a brief flick through most of the cards), but from what I can tell, the positive fight effects on the mastermind cards are deliberate. The mastermind cards should probably dislpay 'Reward' instead of 'Fight', as the main challenge is to just meet or exceed their fight power. This would also explain why all four cards that go with each mastermind have the same strength (mentioned in the rulebook) - to eliminate any randomness when you go for them.

EDIT - Whoops, ignore what I said. Now that I've gotten back from work and taken another look at the mastermind cards, I see that I've got it wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerKraken wrote:
We are enjoying the game but whats really came off as odd to everyone is that fighting the mastermind is pretty much always a reward.

I think this is the third time I've seen a comment like this and I don't understand the logic behind this. As Cameron pointed out, other villains give you benefits when you defeat them, so why not the Supervillain? The Master Strike cards in the deck are when he attacks you. If really you feel the need to increase the "combat" aspect of fighting him, simply invoke a master strike as part of the Fight effect when you hit him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
See we play it mostly in a coop fashion and care little about competitive nature of the points and such, so many of the fight effects are a seen as negative since they affect other players at the table many times. I don't want everyone else getting wounds, that's horrible. And getting cards KO'd is a limited use in legendary unlike many other DBG games. The effect can be a boon while also being a negative. Having your heroes getting KO'd around the group and mixing it with effects from escaping villains or lost bystandards can quickly dwindle the whole groups options and slow the game down in favor of the masterminds scheme twists. And also fight effects being negatives for other players, thats at odds with various other effects which can be beneficial to everyone else.

Some fight effects are rewards, but some are clearly deterrents or negative effects. Part of this though will be based on the groups mentality it seems since the game is an odd hybrid of coop and competitive. As the rules themselves state, the groups will approach things differently.

There is sometimes risk to fight various villains or you have to wait for the right moment, but against masterminds? No such thing. Again this seems to be another moment where they were focused on the competitive nature since it promotes players to go after the masterminds as soon as possible especially since they also give players big vp along with the reward of the fight effect.... which sometimes once again help everyone at the table putting it at odds with any competitive aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only mastermind that has a real screw your neighbor feel is Loki, so I would recommend not playing with him or ignoring those effects.
I feel Ko'ing is highly important in this game as in most deck builders. You start the game with 12 essentially worthless cards, anything you buy will be better than them.
To each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerKraken wrote:

The reward can thematically be seen as you thwarting the masterminds tactic. If you look at the cards, each one has a unique name, and the reward can be related.

Mechanically, there needs to be an incentive other than the five VP to fight the mastermind. I feel that with the five VP and the rewarding effect, the mastermind is balanced against the choice to fight villains. Yes, someone needs to fight the mastermind at some point, but the reward balance makes the decision between mastermind and villain a satisfying choice instead of an obvious one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.