Hide
6 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant ideas bouncing around rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jones
msg tools
Okay, so I'm a first time poster but have been playing Eclipse in a small group for a couple of months. Mainly 3-4 player games.

We have been bouncing around a couple of ideas for things that we'd like to see...

One that frequently pops up is a "planet cracker". Not sure what the mechanic would be (maybe rare tech?) but the gizmo allows you to sacrifice one planet in a tile for a reward of material - for the sake of arguement let's say 6 materials. However, as a counter to the reward the VP of the tile is reduced by 1 (with a minimum of 0).

Another idea that I was mucking about with earlier was the idea of Leaders (I think I saw this mentioned under the "Ambassadors as Admirals" thread). So I decided to run with this in my head.

I must stress this is just at the back of a cigarette packet stage...

I was thinking that Leaders could be represented by fancy cards that sit over the race picture on the player board. Maybe with a token to represent them on the hexes (in my mind the Leader resides in your Home System and does not move).

A Leader can be brought into play using the Influence action (you either carry out a regular Influence or bring leader into play). The cost of the Leader is one influence disc from your track (I was thinking to thematically represent the cost of palaces, security, fancy hats). On playing a Leader you automatically collect one Reputation tile from the bag.

The Leader will also provide a benefit whilst in play dependent on race:

Humans (all factions) - place one population cube from your track onto the leader card. (Boost to resources).

Orion - Warmaster - experienced tactician and expert at logistics. Trade rate is 3:1 whilst in play (I'm thinking that the Warmaster will be good at cajoling merchants, threatening/intimidating to get best deals and good at squeezing the most use out of everything to hand).

Planta - Explorer - This plant has been out there man... When this Leader is played the player immediately draws 2 discovery tiles that MUST be taken as the discovery not VPs. (If an ancient crusier is drawn this is placed in the home hex)

Hydran - Immediately take the cheapest tech from the supply board that you don't already own.

Eridani - Crown Prince - The prince brings their own wealth to the fight. Immediately claim 10 money. Or it was a toss up with the Prince having studied in the best academies and having fine advisers - provinging the player with Advanced Economy...

Draco and Mechanima... I'll be honest I fell down here thinking up something thematic.

At this stage I'm aware that some of the benefits will result in an overpowered species (a particular concern is Orion with a better trade rate...) but I wanted to get my thoughts out to the forums to see what people think.

And any thoughts on how our little group can play test these ideas and balance them up would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jones
msg tools
I know I'm replying to my own thread but there was some a couple bits I forgot earlier (call it overenthusiasm).

As mentioned in my mind the Leader resides in the home sector. If the home sector is captured by an opponent the Leader is executed. The result of this is a -2VP to the Leader's player and +2VP to the "executor". The influence disc used to play the Leader is returned to the track from whence it came (for Humans the pop cube goes back to the track as well). Should the home jex be recaptured the Leader can NOT be brought back into play... I did try to figure out some sort of ransom mechanic but it clunked.

One final thought that occured to me whilst having a sly smoke in the garden was a GCDS variant with a Dune flavour. Instead of GCDS the centre hex has a planet much like Arrakis with a macguffin that allows navigators to traverse space more easily... If you have an influence disc in the hex you gain the equivalent of the Wormhole Generator tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. You have some interesting variant ideas that could use some polish.

On a different note, from an organization standpoint, when you want to include more info after previously posting, you can always edit the post to keep your ideas together in the same place. (Edit: I do this all the time... and yes it is enthusiasm and I hit send too early) Just a suggestion for the future

Again, welcome to BGG and keep pumping out those ideas for this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jones
msg tools
Thanks for the tips Loren!

I had a chat with another of the group this evening and they seem amenable to bouncing the idea around. Hopefully we'll come up with something useable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rule
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the capture a little simpler. Instead of +2 and -2 just have them take the Reputation Tile they drew originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jones
msg tools
Great thought, thanks man. I'll scribble it onto the pad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.