Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have discussed just a few of the broad broken Obama promises: employment, deficit reduction, Gitmo, immigration reform, cost savings from Obamacare, etc.

But maybe we ought to consider a few of the promises to individuals; maybe inexperience keeps him from getting anything done right on a large scale, but as a former community organizer he is pretty good working one on one (especially since he is borrowing trillions of dollars, that ought to help out at least a few highly visible individual sufferers, right)?

Well, maybe not.

There was that woman whose engineer husband has been out of work for about as long as Obama has been in office, all the while Obama has been saying engineers are in such great demand he is aggressively looking to support hiring from other countries. She told him about her husband's struggles, and the President asked her for the guy's résumé. Any luck getting work with the POTUS in your corner?

http://techtalk.dice.com/t5/Tech-Nation-Discussion/Any-word-...

And here remember Donna Vanzant? A compelling photo-op at a critical time when he wanted to turn the conversation away from the debates, Benghazi, and the economy. Did she ever get what she was promised in return?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/empty-embrace-hurric...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
We have discussed just a few of the broad broken Obama promises: employment, deficit reduction, Gitmo, immigration reform, cost savings from Obamacare, etc.

But maybe we ought to consider a few of the promises to individuals; maybe inexperience keeps him from getting anything done right on a large scale, but as a former community organizer he is pretty good working one on one (especially since he is borrowing trillions of dollars, that ought to help out at least a few highly visible individual sufferers, right)?

Well, maybe not.

There was that woman whose engineer husband has been out of work for about as long as Obama has been in office, all the while Obama has been saying engineers are in such great demand he is aggressively looking to support hiring from other countries. She told him about her husband's struggles, and the President asked her for the guy's résumé. Any luck getting work with the POTUS in your corner?

http://techtalk.dice.com/t5/Tech-Nation-Discussion/Any-word-...

And here remember Donna Vanzant? A compelling photo-op at a critical time when he wanted to turn the conversation away from the debates, Benghazi, and the economy. Did she ever get what she was promised in return?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/empty-embrace-hurric...

Well, first off... the ELECTION IS OVER.

Secondly... bad things will happen regardless of who is in office. Anecdotes highlight terrible situations but are not the basis for running society. With over 300 million people, bad things are going to happen every day.

If we do the right thing for society and raise taxes and cut spending*- there will be LOTS of bad stories for quite a while.

---
*And seriously.... $100 billion is the BEST they could come up with in terms of spending cuts? Let's $200 to $250 billion dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ummm....

Quote:
For weeks after that, the family's telephone rang constantly with calls from recruiters, headhunters, the news media, the Texas Workforce Commission, the White House, and out-of-town and out-of-state companies about possible job opportunities.

Many calls came from out-of-state companies, as well as companies throughout Texas. But Darin's work choices are limited to North Texas because of a custody agreement for one of his two daughters that prevents him from moving away.

Damn you, Obama!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The subject line alone is worth a GG tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
No it isn't, because we all know that every "Anything Obama" represents YOU suffering, DW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
ummm....

Quote:
For weeks after that, the family's telephone rang constantly with calls from recruiters, headhunters, the news media, the Texas Workforce Commission, the White House, and out-of-town and out-of-state companies about possible job opportunities.

Many calls came from out-of-state companies, as well as companies throughout Texas. But Darin's work choices are limited to North Texas because of a custody agreement for one of his two daughters that prevents him from moving away.

Damn you, Obama!

Yeah, we should be more realistic: getting work in Northern Texas is too much to expect! It's such a small, undeveloped place . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
No it isn't, because we all know that every "Anything Obama" represents YOU suffering, DW.

Air Contour, Man Amy... Obama makes me happy! Every broken promise, every ObamaZombie voter, every unfulfilled cell phone promise, they all just build up the mountain of irrefutable truth that verifies I have been right all along.

If you can't have wealth, then at least you can have satisfaction. And Obama provides that in spades to me. When he's gone I suppose I'll have to go back to the onerous task of creating more wealth and jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I'll ever quite understand people's need for stories when they have numbers.

Perhaps I'm weirdly cold hearted, but feeling worse when you know that one person you know a bit about is doing badly than you would if you knew that 1000 people are doing badly seems to me to be a lack of imagination more than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Secondly... bad things will happen regardless of who is in office. Anecdotes highlight terrible situations but are not the basis for running society. With over 300 million people, bad things are going to happen every day.

If we do the right thing for society and raise taxes and cut spending*- there will be LOTS of bad stories for quite a while.

You may notice I'm not so critical of suffering itself, but suffering in conjunction with broken promises. Let me suffer, but don't lie to me. Is that too much to ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
Yeah, we should be more realistic: getting work in Northern Texas is too much to expect! It's such a small, undeveloped place . . .

It's actually pretty easy to find jobs in any engineering field if you have experience and are willing to relocate, even throughout the years of the recession.

But if you are dead set in staying in the same location, then it get's really tough. The best bet then would be to go into consulting and be willing to travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
das Andere wrote:
ummm....

Quote:

Damn you, Obama!

"I can't take any of the jobs I've been offered for weeks and weeks because I can't leave my immediate area due to a custody agreement. Therefore, it's the President's fault I'm unemployed."

Personal responsibility for the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:

I'm not happy with the way H-1B visas are handled, but Romney wanted to make it even easier:

Romney wrote:
I also think we should give visas to people, green cards rather, to people who graduate with skills that we need. People around the world with accredited degrees in science and math, get a green card stapled to their diploma.

Quote:

Wow, it's been nearly a month and she hasn't gotten lots of free money to rebuild her business yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You may notice I'm not so critical of suffering itself, but suffering in conjunction with broken promises. Let me suffer, but don't lie to me. Is that too much to ask?

And where were the lies in either of those stories?

By the way, if you want to see what President Obama actually said to Ms. Vanzant, you can see it here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:

And where were the lies in either of those stories?

I'm far from Obama's biggest fan, but it's clear that there is a certain delusional segment of Obama's critics who think every single thing that Obama says is a lie and it is pretty sad to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait...are politicians allowed to LIE?! INCONCIEVABLE! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oba-who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
On the other hand, every kept Obama promise is also a human being suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.