10 Posts

King of Tokyo: Power Up!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Claws of Steel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
OK, most of these cards are fairly well worded and logical. But I honestly don't get how Mekadragon's card Claws of Steel actually works:

"Deal 1 extra damage on a turn in which you deal 3 or more damage"

So this is much more of a mess than it appears to be on first read. First off, is it damage to a single enemy or is it total damage between all enemies. His "target acquired" ability can make this interesting with your attack doing 3 to one target and 2 to all others while in Tokyo.

Also is it damage done at once, or damage done during multiple points during the turn. If the later is the case (which it appears to be), lets say I hit a player for 2, then I hit a different player later on with a card, is the 1 additional damage deal to everyone I've damaged during the turn or just the person I hit that put it over the 'threshold' later in the turn.

This card is quite ambiguous in how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see much ambiguity. It says 3 damage in a turn so that seems to me to indicate it can be from multiple sources. Then, even if you are in Tokyo and you roll 2 claws, you are doing 2 damage to my way of thinking even if all other monsters have to take 2 damage apiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on how rolling works, I had just assumed it meant you are sending out 3 damage (such as rolling 3 claws). I don't really see it working any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
rickert wrote:
I don't see much ambiguity. It says 3 damage in a turn so that seems to me to indicate it can be from multiple sources. Then, even if you are in Tokyo and you roll 2 claws, you are doing 2 damage to my way of thinking even if all other monsters have to take 2 damage apiece.

Disgustipater wrote:
Based on how rolling works, I had just assumed it meant you are sending out 3 damage (such as rolling 3 claws). I don't really see it working any other way.

What if you have his other "Target Acquired" evolution that makes it so one of those targets takes 3 when you roll 2 claws?

Or used a "Fire Breath" discard with "Target Acquired" to deal 3 damage to one target and 2 to everyone else outside of his actual attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toaster Jon
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I agree with any of the above - perhaps it is down to interpretation?

I'd read it as if you've rolled 3 damage, add 1 to make it 4, or if 4 damage add to make it 5 etc...

If all else fails, run screaming from the room shouting "Regis Philbin ate my hamster!" and see if it distracts your fellow players enough to allow you a default win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation would be that in any turn you deal 3 damage to a given target you deal 4 damage instead to that target. So if you manage to deal 3 damage each to multiple targets they each take 4. I wouldn't interpret it as if you do 1 damage each to 3 players then you deal an extra damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toaster Jon
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
My interpretation would be that in any turn you deal 3 damage to a given target you deal 4 damage instead to that target. So if you manage to deal 3 damage each to multiple targets they each take 4. I wouldn't interpret it as if you do 1 damage each to 3 players then you deal an extra damage.

Yep, that's what I thought... Only you articulated far more succinctly whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draffut wrote:

"Deal 1 extra damage on a turn in which you deal 3 or more damage"

I've been reading some of the answers, and I'm puzzled why some folks are stating that this damage must be to a single recipient (with the obvious caveat that we can all play with whatever interpretations we find best to enjoy a game). It doesn't say anything about number of recipients, nor does it even say that this must be from an attack. So, using tricks like spiked tail, or electric carrot, or a simple 1 point attack using fire breathing in a 6 player game, e.g., you can do 1 extra damage. Now, It's easy to see that this could get REALLY messy... but what's to be done (other than some serious clarification from Iello).
Just my thoughts. When in doubt, rule to maximize fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how someone would interpret the "3 or more damage" as being fulfilled with 3 targets taking 1 damage each, but then how would you apply the extra damage? If the latter part of the sentence is referring to the total damage done, then the former part should also refer to the total. For consistency, you would have to decide which target gets the 1 extra damage.

For that reason, I've always interpreted this card as being "per target". So we would play a scenario where you are attacking from Tokyo and roll 3 claws with no other modifier as you deal 3 damage to each target increased to 4, but if one of the targets negates one of the initial 3 damage, they only take 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari C
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
the card says "on a turn" and uses the term "damage" not "when you attack". when the rules are referring to rolling claws, it uses the term "attack". "on a turn" means through out the turn, total up your damage.

1 extra damage means a single point of extra damage. apply it to whomever you want. but only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.