Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of the movement in the arena with only 2 combatants seems silly to me. Has anyone thought to house-rule this away and just roll the move dice each round to see who goes first? Would also make the move dice more important, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time in a game I don't lose speed dice to attrition and then get a speed dice advantage allowing me 2 attacks for every one of my opponent's always gets a reaction that is priceless.

Lucky for me and other analytic folks out there, most people don't see this possibility and get rid of blue dice first every time

So no, I would not be in favor of eliminating the spacial element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I played, no one really thought to use superior movement to 'kite' the other combatant arena around until one of them had the trident and just always kept himself 1 space away. But as soon as he did this, it soon clicked to several of us that you could do something almost as powerful once you had a movement advantage.

Prior to that, the initiative dice were always the first to go. Now, folks are a little more thoughtful on which dice they lose first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
The idea of the movement in the arena with only 2 combatants seems silly to me. Has anyone thought to house-rule this away and just roll the move dice each round to see who goes first? Would also make the move dice more important, no?

It would make move dice significantly less important in all actuality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If your gladiator is faster than your opponent's it's apparently possible to trap the other gladiator at the edge of the arena where he's too close to get out of range but also too far away to attack. If you then win the initiative and make him go first he can't escape, so you make him go first (wasted move) then move into contact and attack. Next round, if you win the initiative (which is likely as you roll more blue dice), you can go first this time to attack him again and then retreating out of range. That's two attacks in rapid succession with the other gladiator unable to retaliate.

I've never tried it myself but it must be possible as so many people here have complained about it being cheesy and time-wasting (presumably because it's like trying to get "Stalemate" in chess - it takes some time for the other guy to be backed into a corner).

However cheesy people think this is, it's a valid tactic within the rules, so I would be loathe to house-rule it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Marques
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This last can really happens. Ocurred on our last game; I attack and move 3, he move 1. I gain, he moves 1 again, and I move and attack. My init again, I attack and move 3, he moves 1. Forever. Just domine the center.

I really think a house rule for this will be nice. And some kind of fight with more than one gladiator (granting influence and/or gold to winner ?) will be nice as well and add more spice to combat.

I know this is not so normal, but... maybe those "special games" when someone goes 12 influence ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that movement is important in this game. The faster one can usually give himself an advantage.

I am unsure what to do about a fight where the speeds are equal and neither person is willing to give the other person the first attack. This happened between one player and me. Both our gladiators had axes and speeds of 3.

So, I roll higher and ensure I'm 4+ hexes away from him. Then on his turn, he ensures he's 4+ hexes from me. Then we roll initiative again, but neither of us wants to move to within 3 hexes so the other person can swoop in and do a guaranteed wound.

There is nothing in the rules to prevent this, so it was just a stand-off that nobody was willing to press.

Finally, I proposed that we just plop ourselves in the middle adjacent to each other and roll initiative. Whoever gets higher gets the first strike and cannot move away from the second strike. Then we rolled initiative as usual, and my guy got killed a couple of rounds later.

But if we hadn't decided that, then we'd have been playing keep-away all night.

How does that kind of stalemate get resolved? We were hoping for a rule where the crowd gets ugly and throws things at us. No such rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Kuildeous wrote:
How does that kind of stalemate get resolved? We were hoping for a rule where the crowd gets ugly and throws things at us. No such rule.

But why that stalemate? If the one who moves 2nd in a round just moves into range, then next round both have a 50% chance of getting the first attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:

Just got the game for Christmas, so I'm not totally aware of the impact, but would threatening the Dominus of the non-competing gladiator with loss of one Influence (ie, running a Ludus of cowards) get them motivated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
But why that stalemate? If the one who moves 2nd in a round just moves into range, then next round both have a 50% chance of getting the first attack.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Neither of us wished to get within striking distance without an advantage. But neither of us really had an advantage. So, yeah, I guess we ended up doing something like that. We did end up with a 50% chance of one person going first. Despite winning that initiative I still got stomped (who rolls a 2, 1, 1, 1 on an attack? This guy apparently).

If we play again, I'll keep that in mind. If there's no advantage, then you might as well get in position for that coin toss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game says one can bribe gold for almost anything.
If I was a spectator and watched this kind of stalemate, I might be willing to offer up a gold to the gladiator who makes the next aggressive move.

But in second thought, that would encourage my fellow players to always stalemate and try to force me to spend more on such bribes... hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
The game says one can bribe gold for almost anything.
If I was a spectator and watched this kind of stalemate, I might be willing to offer up a gold to the gladiator who makes the next aggressive move.

But in second thought, that would encourage my fellow players to always stalemate and try to force me to spend more on such bribes... hmm...

Although, if you have a bet that A would win, then maybe you could entice B with a bribe to take the first hit. Not sure that I'd be willing to take such a bribe, but I suppose it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.