Ricardo Américo Dávila Alvarado
Mexico
Saltillo
Coahuila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all,

I have a question about players perform their action
simultaneously, I play in a very competitive gaming group...

The scenario ... Player A and Player b are sitting next to each other.
Player A has 3 Shields
Player B has 2 Shields

In a given turn players select their cards and all show their cards
Player A has a card with 2 shields (added to current shields would be 5)
Player B has a card with 3 shields (added to current shields would be 5)

1.-If they both build the structure... Player A will be tied with Player B
2.-If player A builds the structure and Player B dont..Player A still have more shields than Player B
3.-If player B builds the structure and Player A dont..Player B will have more shields than Player B

The situation is this ... when they showed the cards they started to say to echaother "what are you going to do with the card?" and Player A sayed "you first" and Player B sayed "no no you first.."

How is this situation handled ??? I tough that a good way to avoid this is that before showing the cards everyone sayed what he will do with the card.. build structure, build wonder stage sell it ...

Please help guys ... I'm really confused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to decide what you're doing with the card (play, wonder, discard) simultaneously. Have them close their eyes and simultaneously act, or they each tell their other neighbor what they're doing. If they're making the decision of what to do after seeing what they're opponent is doing on that round, they're cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have said that if they are showing the card, then they are both building it.

You don't reveal the card if you are discarding it or using it to build a level of your Wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be cheating dicks? Seriously, just play the card as you intended. If it is a big problem, do a 1,2,3 reveal, and everyone say: build, discard, wonder; or something like that. Seems a little childish.

Also, could be apparent, by resources they have/can buy, to how they are using the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding or building a wonder is a way to strategically bury a card that would be useful to someone else. Why on earth would you reveal it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Seems a little childish.

This, expect maybe not so little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Américo Dávila Alvarado
Mexico
Saltillo
Coahuila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HairyDogWalker wrote:
I would have said that if they are showing the card, then they are both building it.

You don't reveal the card if you are discarding it or using it to build a level of your Wonder.

This is a perfect solution!!!! .... I like it a lot I will apply it from now on..

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no confusion here as Hairydog said. If the card is revealed you are playing it. You choose before having any idea what the others are doing. If you really are that competitive than everyone should be as dedicated to playing by the rules as possible and you shouldn't have an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Dietz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
There is no confusion here as Hairydog said. If the card is revealed you are playing it. You choose before having any idea what the others are doing. If you really are that competitive than everyone should be as dedicated to playing by the rules as possible and you shouldn't have an issue.

I like to use this simple system with my group:

Everyone simultaneously presents their card in the following way to show what action they are taking:

1. Building the structure on the card, place card face up on the table on the far side of your wonder board.

2. Building wonder stage, place card face down on the table on the near side of your wonder board.

3. Selling the card, place card face down on the table on the far side of your wonder board.

After everyone places their cards denoting their actions, the cards are then moved to their new homes, i.e. with the other buildings, under the wonder board, or discarded if sold.

This is a simple system that eliminates confusion, and the opportunity to switch your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerdicon wrote:
1. Building the structure on the card, place card face up on the table on the far side of your wonder board.

The chosen card should not be revealed until everyone has made a choice, otherwise it may influence what someone else does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Dietz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Jerdicon wrote:

The chosen card should not be revealed until everyone has made a choice, otherwise it may influence what someone else does.

Yes, hence why everyone simultaneously presents their cards as I described above...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerdicon wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Jerdicon wrote:
Yes, hence why everyone simultaneously presents their cards as I described above...
I believe Hugh's confusion was in thinking that you were talking about placing the card face up on the table before everyone had made their decision, which is also how I interpreted it the first couple of times I read what you wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say just explain to people the rules (everyone has to say what they are doing at the same time) but if you continue to have problems with people trying to delay/work the system to their advantage then you could give everyone 3 "cards" (pieces of paper) that say "Build", "Wonder", "Discard" they have to pick and show at the same time as their card to prevent this...although if it's truly coming to that, I'd say find a different game as these people can't handle this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
although if it's truly coming to that, I'd say find a different game as these people can't handle this one.
Agreed. I realize that some people place way too much of their self-worth into "being the winner," but if they don't respond to a quizzically good-natured "Really?? You're trying to cheat at 7 Wonders?!?!" then, well, quite frankly, they probably don't deserve a spot at your gaming table. But if it's someone who you can't politely tell to piss off (e.g., family), pull out something less strategic like Apples to Apples or Dixit and have at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
although if it's truly coming to that, I'd say find a different game as these people can't handle this one.
Agreed. I realize that some people place way too much of their self-worth into "being the winner," but if they don't respond to a quizzically good-natured "Really?? You're trying to cheat at 7 Wonders?!?!" then, well, quite frankly, they probably don't deserve a spot at your gaming table. But if it's someone who you can't politely tell to piss off (e.g., family), pull out something less strategic like Apples to Apples or Dixit and have at.

Actually, "Family" are the one's you can say to piss off, and, not so politely, but I agree with this sentiment. All 'win-at-all-costs' Euro-gamers need to play war games for a year and get beaten down so the "importance of winning" is drawn and quartered out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
butik man
msg tools
Oogarasu wrote:
I would say just explain to people the rules (everyone has to say what they are doing at the same time) but if you continue to have problems with people trying to delay/work the system to their advantage then you could give everyone 3 "cards" (pieces of paper) that say "Build", "Wonder", "Discard" they have to pick and show at the same time as their card to prevent this...although if it's truly coming to that, I'd say find a different game as these people can't handle this one.

Avoiding longer post cause is relay late here. I wonder how 3 or more ppl SAY what to do in the SAME time???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you've established what you're going to do wit the card, there are also issues when it comes to commercing.

Great, 2 players are building something. One player will no doubt be more inclined to commerce his left player's stone if he commerces him. If he waits, he can find out.

This was discussed here, and it turns out, if you want something official, or for tournament play to ensure no one can game the system, you'll need something more than verbal declarations.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/583751/how-handle-timing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.