BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Looking for an artist. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My name is David, and I am in over my head. A few weeks ago i got the idea to create a strategy card game that i could get a small run of to give to my buddies for Christmas this year. What i've actually created is a game that so many people are anxious to play that i've had to abandon the "Good enough" idea, and go with the "HOLY CRAP I NEED TO GET SOME ARTWORK ON THESE CARDS BEFORE I AM KILLED" plan instead. The problem is, as you may have guessed, is that even my stick figure drawings are a bit pathetic. What I am in need of is someone who with an ability to draw, and a lot of imagination. The game itself is based around music, and its characters are primarily musicians. If anyone can help me, or has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I am not assassinated before hand.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 28 12:37AM.

Thank you everyone for pointing out in the kindest ways that I am in fact, a moron. My original post is a little vague and misleading. Here are a few specs that I am looking for

Timeline: 30 Days/100 Cards

Original Artwork Needed: 30 different cards, 70 duplicates. (This is a slightly watered down version of the initial concept)

Compensation package: $5.00/piece of artwork ($150.00), a free copy of the published game, A guarantee that your artwork will be published, and retailed, An artist credit on the game itself, and on each piece of artwork if you wish, a partnership witch entitles myself 50% of game profits, and the artist 50%.

Profit potential breakdown: Each game Costs about $9.00 to make, my price point is at $15.00. The publisher takes %50 off the top. wich leave me with $3.00/Unit. %50 percent goes to the artist, so he/she will make $1.50 per sale. two local stores have each asked for 25 units each when they are complete, which means that upon publishing $75.00 (Artist's Cut) worth of units will be immediately sold.

A Few Things about the game.

The game is called "Scene." It is based on local bands that struggle to reach the "top" and become signed by a record label. The idea is that 3-6 players and compete against each other to be the first "band" to make it. The game has been tested many times, with a younger, and older market. The general consensus is that it works well, it takes about 30 minutes to play, it is fun, and entertaining, easy to understand, and does not require a "Hardcore Table-top gamer" to enjoy it. I have dropped a few prototypes off with friends, who have had little exposure to this type of game play, and they have enjoyed it immensely (24-30 year old demographic)

If you have any questions, or would like to enquire, feel free to post on this thread, or email me at david.hendu@gmail.com for private inquiries, or questions. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,
It's probably a good idea to state whether or not you are intending to pay for the art.
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Sounds great I will take a look at your work, I'd love to hear more about your rates. My email is David.Hendu@gmail.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess i didnt think about that. I don't mind paying for the art, but I want to decide the rate based on the quality and speed of the work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My initial intent was to not sell the game, but it seems the prototypes were very popular at two local comic book stores, one of the stores wants to make a pretty large order of 50 units. I want to keep my price point at around $13.00-$15.00 as the game is only a 100 card deck, and one die. The shop has offered to pay for 25 games outright, and pay commission on the others. So i want the artwork to be done well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrenn E. Canton
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Even if you say production of the game itself will only take a week, there is no possible way for anyone to do what you are looking for and for it to turn out as a high-quality final product without you shelling out an arm and a leg for it.

Let's say you need five artists to create ten images each for you. You're asking people to create ten images in three weeks - in addition to whatever else they might have going on at the time. I can't speak for other illustrators, but for me that really puts me under the gun in terms of a time frame.

Good art takes time to create - a LOT of time - and usually all of the artwork for a large-scale project like what it seems you have here takes months to finish. It's something that it seems gets overlooked quite often.

In any event, I'd suggest you push back your timetable a few months until you find artists who can create work that suits the look you are trying to achieve with the game. Art that does not fit the look you are going for will just look out of place, even if it is high-quality work.

That's just my two cents on the matter. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well, it started as a christmas present, but i realize that if i want the quality of work that would make this game aesthetically pleasing, that Christmas may be in May of next year. Per some professional advice, i have decided to make a more realistic deadline of 100 days, 100 cards in one hundred days, and yes there are many duplicates. I am going to repost on this thread with actual numbers before i go to sleep tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thank you for the pro tips. I feel like I should have put my foot in my mouth originally about the Christmas thing, what i meant to say is that the idea originated from a possible Christmas gift, into a full scale project. I am going to post some more information about the project tonight, and hopefully offer a few more artists a better idea of what I am after, with a more reasonable timeline, and profit potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I appreciated this the most because it really got me to sit back and realize this is my first game, and that i do not need to have everything unique. So i boiled it down to its most simple form and came up with 30 different pieces, and 70 duplicates. The idea of have 3 artists work on it worries me, because i want the game to appear uniform. Thank you for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Cartoon for sure, Since i've determined that I need to waterdown my expectations in order to keep a deadline in the near future, I have determined that I need 30 different pieces of artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to point out that offering to pay an illustrator $5 for an illustration is insulting. And I mean that in the best "constructive criticism" way. You're going to have to seriously think about investing more money if you want decent artwork.

Also, why does it cost you $9 to make a 100-card game? How are you making your cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hm, well the $150.00 is incentive, I am offering a partnership first and foremost, meaning that my game design, in conjunction with the artwork provided by the artist, give us equal parts profit for as long as it is on the market. No one who does anything should get paid more then what their work is valued, commission is a good way to keep that in balance. I certainly don't mean to insult anyone, but i assure you I don't intend on making an initial investment alone, and then offering any kind of further compensation. So let me just say that I would also pay a one time fee of $600.00. with no further compensation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh and i am going through a publishing company who sells each component of the game individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidHendu wrote:
Oh and i am going through a publishing company who sells each component of the game individually.

Does your game use any components other than cards, like a board, tokens, or dice? Will any of those extra components require artwork? And what about the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The game requires 1 six sided numerical die, no artwork needed. And I have already designed the card backs, as well as the box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Lol, i really wish i understood more about how this all works. The publishing company only produces the already designed product in this instance, they want all of the artwork to be done before hand, and for all of the cards to be available for print in a very specific format. Is there a way that I can self publish this product? like is there a way i can have this product printed myself? because i certainly would like to consider self publishing if it brings the price point down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to do that and post a breakdown on this thread to give people a better idea of what im looking for. I honestly can see the artwork in my head. There was a card game my friends and I played when i was much younger called grass. The artwork was a little out there, but was very aesthetically pleasing. Its a lot like i want this game to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was offered publication by 2 independent companies, one being regional, the other being a company founded by a guy who use to work in the "Wizards Of The Coast" Think Tank. I went with that company, as i assume he has the know how and the connections. The last email he sent me while i was trying to sweet talk him into helping me with the art, said, "For your 2nd game I'd be glad to help, but you have to sell something first." So this is basically the only way I can keep the rights to the game. He also made a cash offer to buy the concept and intellectual rights, but assured me that he would change so much about the game that I wouldn't even recognize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well the way i understand it, is that they make the games to order, The facility they use is huge and orders for "Indie Games" gets pushed through all the time. He told me that %50 is what they offer Designers, as an incentive to always bring their work to his company. I didn't even intend on it going to this level. I published a .PDF of my game, rules, and card descriptions urging people to make a prototype and give me some feedback in exchange for Deviant Art "Points" Not long after, I got a call from the company, as well as one other. He wants to see a fully completed product before we will contract. But i know that the initial run is 2,500 units. and i do not get paid for the first 1,000. Even though i plan to pay any partner artist their cut of the first 1000 games sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh no, im not insulted, lol apparently im insulting. I really just need to bite the bullet and figure out a fair way to offer compensation to someone who can get this done for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
By the way, this is basically what the Card Backs, and front of the packaging will look like if it gives anyone a better idea of what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidHendu wrote:
I got a call from the company, as well as one other. He wants to see a fully completed product before we will contract. But i know that the initial run is 2,500 units. and i do not get paid for the first 1,000.

Sounds fishy to me, but I don't know anything really about that end of the business. and 50 percent? hmmmm. I do know book publishing tho and a distributor will take 25 percent and warehouse/distribute your books. That's a lot cheaper. Maybe there's less risk? I don't know. We need someone who does this to weigh in.

Maybe you should contact stronghold or jackson, or someone and ask them if they can give you some tips. Or even submit the idea and see what they say about what they would offer.

What about the company that prints playing cards...can't think of the name right now.

EDIT: ARTCOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well, I just didnt want to shell out thousands for the artwork on this game. So i just decided to use my limited graphic design skills and decided to go with this. Im not upset about how they will look, but it certainly isn't my original vision. let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.