Hide
8 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Non-Binding Agreements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this query, but here goes. I have not yet played Rex but have just finished reading the rules and I'm somewhat confused about non-binding agreements.

According to the rules, players can make non-binding agreements, but they can only bribe other payers or exchange influence when a Temporary ceasefire is in effect. My question is, what constitutes a non-binding agreement? And could players make promises to one another in exchange for influence later once the ceasefire is in effect?

I'm just trying to get my head around what players can and can't do before my first game. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it just means you can say or promise anything you like, even if it is a lie. Yes, including "I'll give you influence" or "I'll ally with you when the next Temporary Ceasefire comes up"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I won't move my units into the Spaceport if you don't contest my in Pleasure District."

"I won't increase my bid to 6 so you can get the strategy card... as long as you don't deploy units this round."

.... PROMISE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
Thanks, that helps a lot. So are there any repercussions to not honouring a binding agreement during a temporary ceasefire? Or are players just expected to honour it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
regan555 wrote:
Thanks, that helps a lot. So are there any repercussions to not honouring a binding agreement during a temporary ceasefire? Or are players just expected to honour it?

There are no repercussions because it's simply against the rules. Binding agreements have to be fulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to think which agreements in the game could be considered "binding", other than actually physcially handing someone Influence or an Ally card during the Temporary Ceasefire phase.

Everything else is nonbinding. You can promise all you want, but you are not obligated to fulfill ANYTHING. (Though be careful about betrayals, of course; done too often and other players won't be as likely to trust you in future games, either. My philosophy is only betray when it will win me the game (or make a very good shot at it), although sometimes when I make deals I intentionally try to word my deals such as to leave myself an out while staying within the actual "terms" of the agreement, even if it's not technically binding anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key distinction here is between on one hand non-binding agreements (promise whatever you like with no obligation to keep the promise - this can be done at any time, and includes promises of future influence exchange, 'I won't attack you here if you don't attack me there' etc.) and on the other hand alliances made and/or broken only during a temporary cease fire as governed by the rules of the game.

When you ally:
~ you cannot attack each other (indeed, in general your units can't share the same space as an ally, the turtle guys being a minor exception if they turn their units face-down).
~ you give each other special abilities as per the alliance cards (I may have the name of the card wrong).
~ you and your ally/allies are eligible for a joint victory

Once an alliance is made, it cannot be un-made until a subsequent temporary cease-fire. You are at liberty to make deals with your allies (as you are with all players), but other than the conditions stipulated in the rules as summarised above (I think I've got them all but I have don't have the rules in front of me) you are not under any obligation to keep them. That said, breaking a deal while still allied may not be too smart - breaking a promise just as you break up the alliance and join another one is not unknown, however ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burris
Canada
flag msg tools
Xxcha units can't coexist with their allies. Allies may never occupy the same space - so if Xxcha is co-existing with Letnev on Imperial Navy base, and a Temporary Ceasefire comes up, Xxcha and Letnev may not ally. I don't think Xxcha really needs allies that badly though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.