Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Since most of the rolls that you do in the game are D100, why didn't they just include 2 sets of % dice with the game? (One is labeled 00-90, the other labeled 0-9) Is this some kind of no-no in war gaming? Are they more expensive? Anyway, the game looks great so far. Almost through the rules and ready to play through a solo or two, but as I was reading the rules, it just hit me "Why have to declare which die is which every time?"

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
You make a valid point about the percentage dice.

The way my panzer buddy and I deal with the dice, is the red 10 sided is used by the Russian player, and the black goes to the German player. Then each side gets a white dice. White is always the lesser 'ones' roll, kinda like the white digit in an odometer representing the smallest increment.

Oops. Do vehicles still have mechanical odometers, or are they all digital now? I think I just had a senior moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe regular D10 is cheaper than the %D10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also usually stick with the Red = Russian, Black = German assignment but use the white die as the 10s because it is easier to read and the 10s die will be the first indication of the outcome. Also, I think that's what the rules state...ahem...not that we abide by all of 'em when we're playing.

We toss all four for vehicle hit resolution:
Black = location
Whites = variable penetration
Red = Effect

I've used 100-sided dice before and I don't like them - too hard for me to read and my dice tower is not a work of planar precision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case someone hasn't seen them, I am speaking of these:

Maybe they just had a ton of D10s sitting around from another printing of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - had the 100-sider in mind....that one makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the tradition -- black for the Germans and red for the Soviets. In addition, having the different collored d10s also enables a single roll for the AP hit location and damage determination. I just don't care for the % dice. You know, old habits die hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose27 wrote:
That's the tradition -- black for the Germans and red for the Soviets. In addition, having the different collored d10s also enables a single roll for the AP hit location and damage determination. I just don't care for the % dice. You know, old habits die hard.

LOL...Didn't really expect to get an answer from the designer himself. At least now I know why, and it makes sense. Whereas your old habits caused you to go towards the D10s, my gaming world started with RPGs, and my mind just couldn't grasp it. To each his own, and it certainly doesn't make any difference in how the game plays.

On a side note, I am currently playing through my first solo game to get the rules down, and I am having a great time. Looking forward to getting this on the table or getting a PBEM game started.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.