Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Battle Cry for its simpler mechanic (and I prefer its theme, but that's here irrelevant), but Memoir 44 isn't far more complicated. Since you've played both games, and it's your kid, I don't know how much more help I can offer .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 has a lot more scenarios (free at Days of wonder website), more expansions, more large maps, multiplayer ability with 2 games too.

Both great games!

In battlecry I believe there are a few Virginia battles too which is pretty cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M44 if he wants to play with tanks, BattleCry if he will rather charge at the sound of a bugle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for a kid from Fredericksburg VA, I'd go with BattleCry.
You could walk the battlefield afterwards..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

I second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy loves Battle Cry-150 .. he started playing it when he was 8.. he even used to make up solo "free play" games where he played both sides without cards.... after a while he's become pretty good at strategy ... I vote for BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

I second this.

Their house could very well be a directly on the battlefield. There's not too much left of that battlefield beyond Maryes Heights and a few other stops. It's still worth visiting however... nice town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry because it's simpler. If he likes it, he'll like Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it will get him interested in the period and/or in history in general, remember the 150th anniversary commemoration is coming up December 7-9 there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the only dissenting vote here.

I have played both M44 and Battlecry 150th edition and to be honest I thought Memoir '44 was the easier of the two to learn.

They are both very simple to be fair, but to me the added mechanic of a General unit in Battlecry made it less simple.

Additionally, I felt M44 was easier to setup. The scenarios list how many of each tile you need (versus figuring it out yourself with BC. Plus the stands that came with M44 for the command cards.

However, Battlecry's map and terrain just have this great look to them that really immerse you in their era.

Just my 2 cents, again I do love both games and honestly I don't think either will be a problem for your son. At age 8 I was learning Kingmaker and wrestling with ZOC (zones of control) in Victory in the Pacific. For me I just loved playing games with my dad. You'll have a blast I'm sure!

Edit Addendum: I don't want to try and sound like I was a super smart kid...he wiped the floor with me! Just want to re-emphasize I enjoyed playing the games with him. Looking back the game didn't matter, it was the time spent with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
I have played both M44 and Battlecry 150th edition and to be honest I thought Memoir '44 was the easier of the two to learn.

I think it's fair to say that Memoir '44 is the most *cinematic* to play, while BattleCry has a more 'chess-like' gameplay.

So that might make it a better choice for young kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately Battlecry.

It's so easy, even a wife/girlfriend can play it!

;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.