26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Operation Paperclip - the boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Has anyone looked into the great Nazi Scientist hunt known as Operation Paperclip as a boardgame?

It has all the thrills of an escape.chase/hunt, an easy means to collect VPs, and would have at least three players - the German Players that either want to flee to South America or surrender to the West vs the Soviets in their own operation.

actually, not sure how it would work, but the topic is fascinating.

How many people know that our landing on the Moon was not possible without the guy who invented and developed the V-2?

that is just one of many fascinating stories, and Paperclip is one of many similar operations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Has anyone looked into the great Nazi Scientist hunt known as Operation Paperclip as a boardgame?

It has all the thrills of an escape.chase/hunt, an easy means to collect VPs, and would have at least three players - the German Players that either want to flee to South America or surrender to the West vs the Soviets in their own operation.

actually, not sure how it would work, but the topic is fascinating.

How many people know that our landing on the Moon was not possible without the guy who invented and developed the V-2?

that is just one of many fascinating stories, and Paperclip is one of many similar operations.

An interesting topic.

But I don't think Apollo project would have failed because of one missing Nazi scientist. US has a lot more scientists working on rockets. I heard that when Von Braun was still sitting in a military base and restoring Nazi documents for the army, a team of scientists were making rockets already under the direction of navy. It was just the following political persecution that shattered the other team. Then Von Braun was selected to start his team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The Navy's Vanguard Project was a huge failure.

The Military Bureaucratic Rivalry Complex pushed the Army and von Braun aside.

This changed after Sputnik.

The Russians had Sergei Korolev; their von Braun.

Ours, Goddard, was underfunded and at this time dead.

I think that without WvB working for the US Space Program, we might have made it to the Moon in the 1970s.

The WvB Heavy Lifter project (Saturn) made it possible.

The history suggest that the Russians may have been able to do this by 1972 -but alas, Korolev died in 1967, setting the Soviet Manned Lunar Program askew.

But they still got plenty close - the N-1 disasters were spurred by the success of NASA - without that, they might not have rushed that testing.

1972/73 looked real good for the Russians on the moon.

It was that close.

I am personally convinced that WvB gave us that 4-5 year edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like an interesting concept!

(This is a YouTube clip from The Right Stuff about German rocket scientists.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a very interesting game, you could even add some suspense later as you may not be sure of the exact VP value of each scientist - maybe he was just a Parteigenosse who stole all his grad students' research.

Dammit, why does "Insert Youtube Video ID" never work for me?

http://youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

I think that without WvB working for the US Space Program, we might have made it to the Moon in the 1970s.

The history suggest that the Russians may have been able to do this by 1972 -but alas, Korolev died in 1967, setting the Soviet Manned Lunar Program askew.

But they still got plenty close - the N-1 disasters were spurred by the success of NASA - without that, they might not have rushed that testing.

It was that close.

I'll be happy to tell you why I think you're wrong.. Later tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have to include the Gehlen Organization in the game and include the aspect of Soviet penetration of Paperclip from the beginning through Igor Orlov, Heinz Felfe, George Weisz among others.

I would make it more of a spy game than a game of the space race/missile technology although I might make that a scenario.

Maybe use Germany as a large map and have Berlin and Munich as separate mini maps on or off the board. Move pieces around and attempt different forms of recruitment, doubling, and counterintelligence. Give random events to influence characters personality traits. Give them technology. Use murder as last resort, but make it possible.

Maybe make a scenario around the Berlin tunnel. Was it as effective as it could have been or did the Soviets know about it all along and feed disinformation through it? Or how about a scenario about penetrating Karlshorst? Or one on gaining information about the Soviets Berlin Wall - potential Soviet invasion of West Berlin. Each side has a goal to achieve, which can only be made possible through their access to "bona fide" intelligence.

Just as a thought, maybe make it a cross between the Fury of Dracula (second edition), Clue: Secrets & Spies, Twilight Struggle, and TSR's Spies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Sounds like a very interesting game, you could even add some suspense later as you may not be sure of the exact VP value of each scientist - maybe he was just a Parteigenosse who stole all his grad students' research.

Dammit, why does "Insert Youtube Video ID" never work for me?

http://youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro

You can fix it by just putting in the YouTube video ID (see above)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE this idea! Fascinating topic, and I think it could be done.

Then we could have endless threads about "Op Paperclip is NOT a wargame!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
This is what came to mind for me when I read about the OP's idea....

"Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down!!!
That's not my Department!!!" says Werner von Braun!.

Ah, Tom Lehrer, you are missed.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, here's my take on things. This happens to be my field of expertise.

Wilhammer wrote:

Nonsense. There were three successful launches, and the Vanguard 2nd/3rd stage was adapted for use with the Thor missile, which became the precursor of the Delta.

Quote:

Not true. Eisenhower didn't want America to get to orbit first, for international reasons. Project Orbiter (Von Braun's Redstone-based launcher) could have put something in orbit in late 1956. He was specifically ordered not to.

Quote:

Space Technology Laboratories was building the Thor and the Atlas and the Titan at that time. When Sputnik flew, the Thor was mated with the Vanguard, and we were launching moon probes by mid-1958.

Quote:

If NASA had chosen G.E. Apollo rather than the gold-plated dead end we got, there might have been more longevity to the program. They could have been launched on Titan derivatives by the mid-late 60s. Or the Air Force's stillborn SLS.

As a comparison of G.E. Apollo vs. WvB Apollo, the latter has been dead for almost 40 years. The former is alive. As Soyuz.

(One could argue Apollo is kind of still alive since Orion is basically Apollo, but it's not like Orion's ever really going to fly).

Quote:

1966. And Yangel or Chelomei could have gotten the Soviets to the moon, too, though Korolev did have a lot of vision.

Quote:

It was that close.

If the Soviets had managed a circumlunar mission (on a Chelomei rocket, the Proton, not a Korolev rocket) in late '68, yeah, it might have been close.

Quote:

Nope. He gave us a gold-plated over-designed brute-force beast with limited development potential.

Granted, it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

This I will concede. Von Braun could have died in 1945, but the V-2 was important on both sides of the Atlantic. The Soviets reverse engineered it to make the R-1, and the Americans used dozens of them in their own research and development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

This I will concede. Von Braun could have died in 1945, but the V-2 was important on both sides of the Atlantic. The Soviets reverse engineered it to make the R-1, and the Americans used dozens of them in their own research and development.

To answer the original question, I thought this was essentially common knowledge for anyone with the slightest interest in the subject. Tom Hanks' miniseries gave von Braun his due, and most if not all serious documentaries mention von Braun's involvement, so it's not a secret and I don't think ever really was, even if his wartime activities are not always fully explained.

The V rockets were recognized as important to the post war world from the moment the guns stopped firing. Canadian troops raced in the post-war months to collect samples and bring them back to Canada - Mowat wrote in his autobiography about his "Canadian War Museum Collection Team" - though I suspect one may need to take his writings with a grain of salt or two. His activities were described by him as a race against the Americans, IIRC, and I wondered as I read it if that aspect wasn't exaggerated for effect and with his Canadian audience in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the asymmetrical COIN-system from Andean Abyss could be adopted to run a proposed game like this -- multiple roles, actions and goals with lots of interaction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I picked up a used library book about the inter-service rivalry in rocket development... Can't find it at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're interested in Operation Paperclip, you might find Leaving Earth interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested, you could use Gravity's Rainbow as a source text, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 for the Pynchon reference!

Though you couldn't make a game of the book - too many chrome rules.
Maybe it could be some kind of free-form storytelling game using something like a Tarot deck....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

You could do it like the cultural figures in Virgin Queen, where you have to roll to get the VP based on modifiers. You have a rough idea from the initial rating/DRM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One way to have the points be variable is to have specific leaders and technical teams as two kinds of people to recruit, and have the player assemble project teams with them in combination with technology ("liberated", developed, discovered, or shared), and their own national assets.

Depending on how the teams were assembled and what resources were available to them, they would be worth different point values.

So recruiting WvB might be worth 20 VP on his own, but putting him with the right combination of two more named scientists, two technical teams, and three technologies might give you a combination (through multipliers and bonuses) worth 500 VP.

You might even have multiple variants of some of the named scientists, with different bonuses and multipliers, and discard all that show up after the first one is recruited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's a precursor game to Paperclip: Secret Weapons of the Third Reich

Can be ordered on Gamecrafter, very interesting, for Gamecrafter great components, and Project and Technology cards from the more mundane Wunderwaffen (ie V-1 development) to the fantastical (can the Germans deploy a Solar Space Mirror in time to end the war?).

Cant speak to how it plays out yet, but the cards are a great read!

There is even a Nazi Turncoat traitor mechanism for the astute scientist that sees the writing on the wall and wishes to pad his post war credentials before walking over to his new masters.

Although, I must say, there is no Doktor Merkwuerdigeliebe or Nazi Zombie Project in the game (but there is a Moonbase project!).

A Project Paperclip sequel would be ideally suited to this Euro style format IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barber
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommended books on Operation Paperclip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Sangulin
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:

Wilhammer wrote:

Nonsense. There were three successful launches, and the Vanguard 2nd/3rd stage was adapted for use with the Thor missile, which became the precursor of the Delta.

The Vanguard rocket launched three satellites out of eleven launch attempts.

Quote:
Quote:

Not true. Eisenhower didn't want America to get to orbit first, for international reasons. Project Orbiter (Von Braun's Redstone-based launcher) could have put something in orbit in late 1956. He was specifically ordered not to.

Eisenhower didn't want America's first space launch to have a strong military connection.

Quote:
Quote:

If NASA had chosen G.E. Apollo rather than the gold-plated dead end we got, there might have been more longevity to the program.

You are comparing concept with rocket program with 32 launches (all successful). Although some flights experienced significant problems, no Saturn rocket failed catastrophically in flight.

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. He gave us a gold-plated over-designed brute-force beast with limited development potential.

I don't think you understand complexities of building rocket that will take man to the moon.

And if you think that military–industrial–congressional complex will go with cost-effective solution, just look at F-35 program...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"It looks like you're building a rocket. Would you like help?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Drain
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an Operation: Paperclip card game, though it focuses on balancing the implications of using infamous people for their technical knowledge rather than the specific building-a-rocket-race some folks discussed as a possible route here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.