Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've acquired a 1964 copy of Stocks & Bonds and my biggest question that the rules booklet left me with is:

Should the Dividend(Yield) paid on a Stock each year fluctuate with the current market price? The way the rules read, I would intrepret it as NO. "....check your stock certificates to see how much you've gained in yields...." This makes the yields sound fixed even if the stock performance is poor.

The confusion is that the Yield printed on the Securities Summary card is presented as a % while the value on each certficate is a fixed $ amount(correct % at the starting price).

Just played this for the first time and it certainly gives the right feel for a small investor.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, the game is not very clear on this point.

You have played it correctly though, the dividends are paid as shown on the stock certificate each year that the stock price is above $50. The summary card is showing the starting yield - $100 per share.

The summary card is there to allow a comparison between stocks. It would have been clearer to list the yield as "$X per share" instead of X%.

S&B really is pretty good for an old dice-ruled game. But despite the randomness, the better players win more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.