Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: To Restore the Box or Not to Restore the Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Repair [+] DIY [+] [View All]
the arkenstone
msg tools
For old Avalon Hill bookcase games (and others, of course) where box corners are split, edges are worn, time has taken its toll... is it better to do some restoration work and then attempt to sell or just sell as is?

I am torn as a buyer. I might pay for a restored box as opposed to one that's falling apart at the seams but is "vintage."

What are the prevailing opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to do it well, go ahead.

If you're just going to use scotch tape, don't bother.

The price differential realized likely won't be worth your time, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When selling games I've always described how it was falling apart and offered expert repair services prior to shipment at no expense. I've never had someone take me up on the offer because they prefer to fix it themselves. Why trust someone else to do it? Now.... if I was providing a picture of the broken down box vs. the nicely repaired box... maybe that'd affect the price... but honestly, how would you know without selling 20+ units of repaired vs. not repaired? I wouldn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I repair split corners using the method described below:

Repairing Boxes

and then state in the listing that the corner was repaired using a jig to square it. Most often I'd rather not buy something that other have tried repairing because the job is often less than optimal and the results are permanent.

The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the arkenstone
msg tools
Ok.
So it is sounding like restoring the box would/should just be a labor of love and not make too much of a difference to a prospective buyer.

Thanks, folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to DIY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.