Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's been several LoL/Dota boardgames being discussed lately and I've also been working on one that I'm jazzed about.

The point of this thread is an issue I need help solving. Movement in Darkness is performed via pre-programmed Manuever cards (like Wings of War or the X-Wing dials). You plan 3 Manuever cards (more if your speed is higher) per round. To attack, you sacrifice movement cards (equal to the weapon Lag/Speed, slower means sacrificing more move).

Anyway, the maps will be an underground dungeon that is 2 lanes with a "jungle" area in the middle. Ideally, you'd have 3 vs. 3 for such a map (like Twisted Treeline in LoL).

My issue is how do you solve the problem of less than 6 players? My group rarely has 6 players (although it's doable) and I think many are in the same boat. My first thought was to somehow have AI control an additional Champion but that's not really feasible with the preplanned movement cards. Likewise, controlling multiple champions would be a chore (you have more than enough to think about between abilities, movement planning, itemization, etc.).

Any creative ideas? Is 2 vs. 2 fine with two lanes? Alter the map somehow (2 lanes that converge to 1 lane maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Doughboy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a DOTA/LoL boardgame. is it unfeasible to have a 2v2 and a 3v3 map on the flip side? like in Smallworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely is, I'm just not sure what a well-designed 2v2 map would look like? I play LoL and 2v2 is not an option (3v3 minimum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what LoL I play LoL and 2v2 is not an option (3v3 minimum) means. And I have been designing games for decades. Please explain. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoL=League of Legends
2v2=a game played between teams of two each
3v3=a game played between teams of three each
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just give players control of more than one hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
LoL=League of Legends
2v2=a game played between teams of two each
3v3=a game played between teams of three each

Wonderful. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafa_str wrote:

Wouldn't really work.

You have to plan three movement cards every round, focus on strategy, move minions, keep up with your abilities and cooldowns, ponder your future item purchases, track HP/XP.

EDIT - Sorry for the acronyms used earlier, it didn't cross my mind that those unfamiliar with League of Legends would want help. Will be more clear in future posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
rafa_str wrote:

Wouldn't really work.

You have to plan three movement cards every round, focus on strategy, move minions, keep up with your abilities and cooldowns, ponder your future item purchases, track HP/XP.

EDIT - Sorry for the acronyms used earlier, it didn't cross my mind that those unfamiliar with League of Legends would want help. Will be more clear in future posts.

s/would want help/would want to understand, and help if it makes sense to do so/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently League of Legends has a one lane user created map called Proving Grounds. Never seen that before.

Maybe that's the answer, make a 1 lane map with a jungle area on each side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, the problem is that LoL/Dota are based on tactics and strategies that really encourages to interact with other players/heroes and is very hard to put this out and still have a similar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Doebler
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ran into the same problem when making my version of DotA/LoL. I just had them control multiple heros because you still have the teamplay effect.

With a 1v1, it's more like a game of chess than anything.

As far as maps go, I just use the Twisted Treeline map from League and use it for 1v1 all the way to 4v4. In case of 5v5, (rare occasion simply because who knows 10 nerds that come to the same place at the same time and that sort of game takes forever with all the complexity) I use a Summoner's Rift map.

I'm interested in what you are doing as far as Fog of War, Timing of Actions (very important for a board-converted computer game), what you use for a map (hexes, squares, tiles or dry-erase boards) and how you do leveling and abilities.

Looking good!
-Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still at a stand-still though as controlling multiple heroes is not really feasible and would be too much work. Not sure it's worth pushing the design forward if it requires 6 people (3v3) minimum and that's infrequent for my group so playtesting will be horriific.

Map spaces (zones) are circles kind of like FFG's Tannhauser board. The zones are connected by arrows (diagonal arrow, straight, left/right) which correspond to the manuever cards (so you play a Forward Manuever card you follow the forward arrow from your space to the next).

Spaces can contain 3 figures (Champions/Minions). This facilitates unit collision and adds more meat to maneuvering around minions/punching holes in their line. If you leave a zone where you do not outnumber the enemy, you roll a die and can take a small amount of damage.

XP is not split between all the Champions nearby mainly to keep things simple (breaking down small denominations gets rough). However, Gold is only awarded to the Champion delivering the kill blow on a figure - so laning with another Champion will slow itemization down.

When you hit an XP threshold you level and chose an ability to advance - take the new card which shows the new stats for the ability.

Purchasing Items happens in real-time. There are two sets of item cards (one for each team) and you can leaf through your teams cards at any time. However, you must be back at your base to purchase. So, why does it happening in real-time matter? Keep reading.

When planning your 3 (or more) Maneuver cards for the round, the team that finishes first flips a sand timer. The other team must finish their Manuever card selection before the time runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firdaus Johari
msg tools
You dont need to build a game that allows you to do everything you can do in the real DOTA, the key is to identify the key experiences that make DOTA fun and create a mechanic that focus only on that. I discussed it in my thread and proposed some solutions.

Tell me what you think of it by reading: The Problem in designing DOTA/MOBA http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18803816#18803816
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.