Subject: Limited supplies option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about removing any Town Item card from the game once it has been used to represent limited supplies at the Blacksmiths. Though a good theme, I'm not sure if it would unbalance the game. I only have the base game with SW and The Coast on order for Christmas.

Anyone else tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would change much. I've played many times, and I can't recall a situation where I had both the desire and the resources to purchase an item a second time, after the first one was used or lost. I'm sure it happens occasionally, but it's rare enough that the limitation you describe wouldn't be a setback most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. I'll give it a go as a house rule next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My house rule for shops is: Draw 3 cards and the investigator can buy whatever they want out of those options. Whatever is not bought is thrown into the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
My house rule for shops is: Draw 3 cards and the investigator can buy whatever they want out of those options. Whatever is not bought is thrown into the discard pile.

I'm guessing the motivation for that rule is to speed up the game. I've seen things come to a screeching halt when a new player has to study the whole Town Item deck while everybody else waits, so it makes sense.

Personally, I prefer to encourage players to look at the deck when it's NOT their turn, and to basically plan ahead for what they want to buy. I also just let the next person go ahead with their turn while a newbie is browsing the menu (especially in co-op or at least non-cutthroat games).

I don't really like your solution because it takes away important tactical options -- some characters simply must have access to the Tools of Science or else their chances of winning are unfairly demolished. Also, while I told the OP that discarding a used Town Item would not impact much, I have to now say that discarding an UNUSED Town Item is a big problem. You could lose the Tools of Science before anyone buys them, not to mention other important items like Silver Shot or the mystery-cancelling Book of Lore, which has saved many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

I also do this when playing coop or solo. I think it gives more variety to the game because you are forced to make do with what you get rather than always choosing the same few stronger cards. It works well with me and my group anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.