7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wording Issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar R.
msg tools
I need clearing up on this wording issue that came up recently:

"Touring the perfumed jungles of Kied, you come across an ancient ivory palace. Pass a Luck (-1) check to explore it without getting caught. Draw 1 Spell. If you fail the check, lose 1 item of your choice."

Does this mean you Draw 1 Spell anyway, then if you fail the check you lose 1 item? Or do you need to pass it to draw the Spell?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much to opine here except to suggest that if you were supposed to draw the spell regardless, they would have put that before the Luck check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, pass to draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is poorly worded. I've wondered the same thing, but we're had a pretty easy time deciding that the spirit of what was intended meant you don't draw UNLESS you pass. I believe there are other cards that have similar word constructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
With Arkham, its easy. If ever there is a way to make something harder, that is the way you go.

Gotta love Arkham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the same you need to pass the luck check to be able to draw the spell. If it fails you loose an item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If the intent was to draw a spell no matter the result of the roll, then the draw a spell statement would have preceded the skill check statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.