Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
muckyduck mel muckyduck mel
United Kingdom
walsall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi dudes and dudets. I have a problem. I have a zillion games but my shelves are crying out for more. There are two games of similar theme that have been on my radar for a good few months now. The games in question are core worlds and eminent domain. Any help swaying my wallet would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is much more interesting and unique game.
Core Worlds is just another deck building alike dominion themed in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely agree. Eminent Domain is the game to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
walsall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That helps as I prefer a game to have it's own feel instead of borrowing it's best bits from others. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Core Worlds and have read about Eminent Domain. To me, EmDo appears to have boatloads of leeching, which is not my favorite aspect in a game. So while I didn't love CW, I think I would prefer it over EmDo.

CW is a game of timing and rhythm. The theme is FAR stronger than Dominion, and managing the air/ground "currencies" adds a wrinkle as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
walsall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the response, It all helps. Sorry to be ignorant but leeching ?
Never heard that term used. I like to have a varied collection of game themes and play styles for my friends when they come around and I try to avoid buying games that wont get table time because I already have games similar to them . Core and Eminent both look great and they both have a fair share of fans out there. Even price wise there almost even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
muckyduck mel wrote:
Thanks for the response, It all helps. Sorry to be ignorant but leeching ?
Never heard that term used.

Keep in mind that I have not played EmDo, so I could be wrong. But the basic idea is that I play a card that will help me. Each other player can jump on and benefit from it as well. In some cases (if I am not as skilled as they are), they might even benefit from my action more than I do. Puerto Rico is a prime example of this, with San Juan having a minor dose.

I prefer games where I do my thing and benefit from it (or not), and then you do your thing and benefit from it (or not). We might race to get somewhere first, or might grab a scarce commodity, or even fire guns at each other. Any of those are more fun to me than leeching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. Eminent Domain can suffer from this. But that's not a problem for me. If everybody's playing good and at same level there isn't any problem. However in EmD it isn't as crucial as in Puerto Rico. Others can do something wrong and you'll not benefit that much. Is more like Glory to Rome than Puerto Rico in this aspect.
(I didn't know what leeching means too. TIL I learned smting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
walsall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
oh dear I'm a king leech in most games I play (thanks for clearing that up).
I suppose most actions we take on any game can be beneficial for others but it would be nice to advance our goal without helping our rivals some times.

Maybe that's one of eminent domains strategies, be more effective in your opponents turn than they are in your's. You guys have given me more food for thought, cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this games we need to predict what others are doing and adapt to their strategies. for me this kind of interaction is very nice.
And isnot different from other games. For example in agricola is the same, if youdon't take the best actionavailable you'll let it for the next player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rafa_str wrote:
In this games we need to predict what others are doing and adapt to their strategies. for me this kind of interaction is very nice.
And isnot different from other games. For example in agricola is the same, if you don't take the best action available you'll let it for the next player.

Yeah, the euro-player-interaction.

Understand your opponents strategy, then destroy it with the simple placing of a wooden piece, no fear of direct retaliation, no worries about losing something, no risk to fail in your sabotage attempt, no way for him to defend himself.

I hate that.

On topic:
I'd probably try to play both of them before buying.
I was always looking forward to play Eminent Domain, but when I finally had the chance to try it, it was quite underwhelming. Optimizing your deck all the time for the specific part you're into right now (colonize, research, etc), when you're done with that, optimize for the next step. Technologies are nice, but too few imho.

I was really, really short of just buying it just to find out how good it is before that demo-game. Good rating, good reviews, cool theme. Good thing I waited - now I know it's a game I will play if asked and nothing better is available, but I will definitively not buy it.

Try before you buy. Especially if you already own a bazillion games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
walsall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the deciding factor between these two games will be which game gives me the most opportunity to effect my opponents game. I want to play a human not a system or the draw of a random card.
I don't want a game where were all just racing down our own structured path not effecting each others plans.
We played spartacus the other night and the little dagger looks and squirm in your seat reactions really gave each turn an excitement.
Some for Eminent domain, some against. It seems to be generating more heat than core worlds, interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.